Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-01-2013, 10:09 PM   #11 
callistra

Merlin, my betta has the popeye.

It's just standard black coated aquarium gravel. It claims not to effect chemistry at all.

I know my water is very soft, but it's very stable in all my other tanks that don't have elodea, so I just have to figure out how to give the elodea what it needs so it quits sucking everything I have out of my water.. I think.

Last edited by callistra; 03-01-2013 at 10:12 PM.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:16 PM   #12 
ao
TFK Moderator

hmm... i've never had a problem like that.. not matter how heavily my tanks were planted...
My water is 2gh 2kh out of the tap...
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:35 PM   #13 
callistra

And you've never had it drop to 0 before a water change?

IDK.. lucky me I guess.
Old 03-01-2013, 11:47 PM   #14 
sarahspins

Mine have definitely never dropped to 0.. I have heavily planted tanks... but my GH and KH are much higher out of my tap.

I would suggest just using a GH booster to up your GH and increasing your KH as well... there's no harm to you fish or plants by doing that, and you can raise them quite a lot before you will cause problems. My Tap's GH is usually between 18-20 and my KH is usually 15 or 16... it's not a problem for my fish and hasn't been an issue for my plants.
sarahspins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:51 PM   #15 
callistra

Yeah I use Equilibrium and Alkaline buffer so I can definitely do it. I put in a little extra with this last water change. I guess that's a good first step.. I'll start increasing my buffers and such, but I'm still concerned about gh fluctuation effects on my fish. I wish I could add something so the gh and everything else won't jump around.. I really don't know why these plants are eating through everything so fast.
Old 03-01-2013, 11:52 PM   #16 
ao
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by callistra View Post
And you've never had it drop to 0 before a water change?

IDK.. lucky me I guess.
nope... infact I think my gh or kh (forgot which) was 8 when I finally did a water change in the 2.5g after 4 months of being lazy.... lol....
Old 03-13-2013, 11:44 PM   #17 
callistra

You must have something in your tank that increases TDS.. like the kind of gravel or whatever.

His popeye is already way down. I'm doing another change tomorrow and I'm doubling his kh buffers and Equilibrium. Hopefully this will be enough.

Such an odd problem :S
Old 03-14-2013, 12:10 AM   #18 
ao
TFK Moderator

Nah TDS was only 100 or so :P
I did have seashells in there for the inverts ^_^
Old 03-14-2013, 12:22 AM   #19 
callistra

That explains it.. Seashells will raise kh and ph. For this reason they aren't suggested for fresh water fish aquariums.

I would just make sure your ph isn't being changed.. but it sounds like it's rising quite a bit in between water changes. Lack of stability in this area will stress your fish and can make them very sick.

Last edited by callistra; 03-14-2013 at 12:24 AM.
Old 03-14-2013, 12:27 AM   #20 
ao
TFK Moderator

Thanks for the tip :D that was my old tank. ph was around 7.6 the hella kept it buffered ^_^ the move was purposeful as ai did not have any calcium clay back then and NYC water is quite soft. The cherry and ghost shrimps were much more sensitive than my betta so I adjusted water params i better suit them. shimps are all now in a half gallon and betta sent to the one gallon with nice soft water XD