Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-02-2013, 02:16 AM   #481 
MistersMom

That's like a lobster lol. Wha is that thing!?
MistersMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 11:38 AM   #482 
frankiefire

It's called a "freshwater lobster" at the lfs, it's really a crayfish though. He really is amusing to watch though.
frankiefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 06:40 PM   #483 
copperarabian

I've had a green sunfish for 8+ months out in the pond, and decided to bring him in for a week or two to get him eating pellets and so I can actually see him lol I haven't seen this at all for 6 months.

And here's my blue gourami and gold mystery snail

And I decided to take some photos of my mystery snail with my hand to show how big he is. I've only taken him out once before and I've had him for over a year. I don't recommend it as a thing you do often, but if you really want to make sure your hands are clean and that your snail isn't freaked out. Mine crawls around my hand and licks it. It feels really funky.

Last edited by copperarabian; 03-02-2013 at 06:49 PM.
copperarabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 11:46 PM   #484 
Kithy

Wow. That is a big snail. How long have you had it?
Kithy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 12:35 AM   #485 
copperarabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kithy View Post
Wow. That is a big snail. How long have you had it?
around a year
Old 03-03-2013, 04:23 AM   #486 
Sakura8

Where did you get a sunfish? I've only seen them on aquabid. They're not native to CA as far as I can tell from the books. Mostly in Florida and the Gulf. I think the only cool native fish we have are sturgeon. I've seen baby sturgeon at my LFS. Maybe I'll put one of those in the pond instead of the koi.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:07 AM   #487 
Indigo Betta

Quote:
Originally Posted by copperarabian View Post

And I decided to take some photos of my mystery snail with my hand to show how big he is. I've only taken him out once before and I've had him for over a year. I don't recommend it as a thing you do often, but if you really want to make sure your hands are clean and that your snail isn't freaked out. Mine crawls around my hand and licks it. It feels really funky.
wow that mystery snail is amazing

is a mystery snail the same as a apple snail? because my apple snails only lived two months:( how do you care for your mystery snail? and how do you get it to be so big?

Last edited by Indigo Betta; 03-03-2013 at 07:10 AM.
Indigo Betta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 02:13 PM   #488 
thekoimaiden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
Where did you get a sunfish? I've only seen them on aquabid. They're not native to CA as far as I can tell from the books. Mostly in Florida and the Gulf. I think the only cool native fish we have are sturgeon. I've seen baby sturgeon at my LFS. Maybe I'll put one of those in the pond instead of the koi.
Greens are found in Virginia, too. The are all up and down the eastern US. They are the most common sunfish I find in creeks around here. Pumpkinseed are nice for ponds, too. And I would probably go made and come hug your sturgeon if you got one. They are a dream of mine!
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 06:07 PM   #489 
copperarabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
Almost everyone I know who's ever had one got it as a Easter egg, meaning it came in with a batch of feeder fish at a pet store. I got mine from a costumer at petsmart but I didn't think to ask were she got it.
That would be so cool if you got a sturgeon, they carry them at dolphin pet village sometimes but are only suited for large outdoor ponds or professional aquariums.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigo Betta View Post
wow that mystery snail is amazing

is a mystery snail the same as a apple snail? because my apple snails only lived two months:( how do you care for your mystery snail? and how do you get it to be so big?
Thanks! He was the size of a nickle when I got him :D
Mystery snails are a type of apple snail, there are several different subspecies. the mystery subspecies doesn't eat live plants and won't get as big as the true apple snail.

I don't do to much lol I keep the water clean, and he eats algae, cucumber I put in for my pleco, and sometimes I put in algae wavers for him. I've found that it's hit or miss with snails, some do really well but others don't seem to be healthy from the start and it's hard to tell if they are unhealthy or not. When buying snails always try to get the one who is very active, rather than the snail with the prettiest shell.

Last edited by copperarabian; 03-03-2013 at 06:13 PM.
Old 03-04-2013, 03:27 AM   #490 
Indigo Betta

Quote:
Originally Posted by copperarabian View Post

Thanks! He was the size of a nickle when I got him :D
Mystery snails are a type of apple snail, there are several different subspecies. the mystery subspecies doesn't eat live plants and won't get as big as the true apple snail.

I don't do to much lol I keep the water clean, and he eats algae, cucumber I put in for my pleco, and sometimes I put in algae wavers for him. I've found that it's hit or miss with snails, some do really well but others don't seem to be healthy from the start and it's hard to tell if they are unhealthy or not. When buying snails always try to get the one who is very active, rather than the snail with the prettiest shell.

thanks for the info seeing how big your snail is makes me want to get another one, but i don't think i should because i don't know why both mine died in the same week:( and my tank's probably to small anyway, but that is one awesome mystery snail you've got

Last edited by Indigo Betta; 03-04-2013 at 03:32 AM.
Indigo Betta is online now   Reply With Quote