Housing
What size is your tank? 1 gal.
What temperature is your tank? N/a
Does your tank have a filter? no
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? no
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? no

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Top Fin color enhancing betta bits
How often do you feed your betta fish? Two pellets a day. Both at the same time at within an hour either way of the same time every day.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Once every 4 days or do.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Betta H2O conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: N/A
Nitrite: N/A
Nitrate: N/A
pH: N/A
Hardness: N/A
Alkalinity: N/A

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? From when I've first bought him, I've seen him losing a little colour around the underside of his head and his tummy. The discolouration has seemed to stop, however? From the time I first bought him (about a month ago)
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? He seems pretty normal. I've only had him for a short period of time. The first couple days he seemed very happy and then the week after that, really depressed. Now he seems pretty all right. He always swims up to me when he sees me and I see him swimming around a lot. He lays around and swims around and just does fish things.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Maybe a week or so after I got him? So maybe three weeks ago?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? I haven't done anything yet.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? none.
How old is your fish (approximately)? I bought him from the store about a month ago so a little over a month.

I'm a new beta owner and because of my living sitution, am not able to have him in a large tank. I try to take care of him as well as I can and he seems like he's a happy little guy. He's not acting weird, no rubbing against plants or anything but I'm a little concerned about his appearance? I'm not sure is his "texture" is normal betta texture or velvet? He's my first betta so if he does have velvet, I don't know what to do! Can someone plese tell me if he has velvet and how to save him? He doesn't seem to be acting weird and seems very happy and active, good appetite and not itchy or excessive gill breathing. thanks :(

intelligentle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 01:38 PM   #2 
Hadoken Kitty

Yea...I think that looks like velvet...I've never dealt with velvet before, though...so I hope someone who has experience with it can help you. I'll spread out some word about this post.
Hadoken Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 01:48 PM   #3 
AyalaCookiejar

I've never dealt with velvet but this definitely does look like velvet.. Does that dust shine gold under a flashlight?
I notice that when it asks what temperature your tank is, you put n/a. With velvet, this is very important because raising the temp to about 82-86 degrees can help get rid of it faster.

Some people keep the tank completely dark to treat velvet, but this may not work as it needs to be complete, pitch black, uninterrupted darkness. It can also be treated with quick cure or copper safe. Velvet meds are usually pretty harsh, though. If you use meds, I don't think that keeping his tank pitch black is completely necessary but it might help and raising the temp is also a good idea.

Those are the only two meds I know of besides aquarium salt but I'm not sure how much success others have had with that. With those meds, velvet should be cured in two weeks.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 01:56 PM   #4 
intelligentle

I don't have a heating element for the tank because it's a small bowl-like container. I like in a private dorm and we're not allowed to have large tanks so I have to keep him in a bowl so I'm not able to make it warmer. I'm so scared, I've never had a sick pet before! I have had a strong light directly next to his bowl to better simulate day since he's inside and it gets dark sometimes in here. should I stop turning the light on for him until he gets better? can that medication be bought at petsmart? Do you recommend any brands or can anyone who has used them before recommend any advice or brands of medication? and how often i need to change his water? I've read that he might need daily bowl changes but i'm worried that will stress him out? (we're still getting to know eachother!) and how do you do a complete water change since i thought you always want to keep a bit of their old water to help them acclimate it but if it has velvet parasites in the water... :(
Old 03-02-2013, 02:03 PM   #5 
Chard56

A few years ago when I had my two youngest children living with me I would get Velvet in the first couple tanks just inside my bedroom from the kids leaving the door open. I used a space heater to keep the room at about 78 so a good draft across those tanks was all it took. I treated it with an ich cure at half strength, most of the time it was fry tanks; and added 8 copper pennies per gallon. Pennies minted before 1983 are best as any minted after that were zinc filled copper plated. I treated for 10 days and removed the pennies, cleaned the tank and changed water.
Chard56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 02:08 PM   #6 
intelligentle

What do you mean by fry tank? I'm not that experienced with bettas and am really afraid of messing something up with him so trying to cure it that way sounds scary to me... is there specific medication for betta velvet or do they only sell ich? i guess i need a treatment plan for dumbies because i feel really insecure about how to treat him :(
Old 03-02-2013, 02:16 PM   #7 
AyalaCookiejar

I'm not sure where to get copper safe. Quick cure is by API I believe. Petsmart might have it, Walmart also has it.

I would get a thermometer for the tank just to know the temp. Make sure the lamp doesn't cause temp fluctuations but turning it off and covering the bowl with something to keep the light out will help.

Under normal circumstances, I would do three water changes a week - two 50% changes and one 100%. Some people only do one 50% and one 100% a week. When you treat for velvet, daily 100%s are recommended to remove fallen parasites from the water. If this stresses him out too much, you can try a 50% and 100% alternated daily. The meds are harsh and you need to be careful not to overdose. Follow the directions on the meds exactly.

It might be helpful to know that velvet usually develops due to stress from improper conditions... The temp not being high enough combined with not enough water changes could have caused it but he could also have developed it from improper conditions in the store. A one gallon tank can be heated with an adjustable 25 watt heater, but you need a thermometer to make sure the water temp doesn't fluctuate too much. It will fluctuate easily in a small bowl like that. Heating it to at least 78 degrees will help keep him healthy if the temp is stable, but with an adjustable heater, you can raise the temp to over 80 to help battle velvet.

With a 100% water change, you need to cup him and wrap the cup he's in with a towel to keep in the heat. After adding the same temperature of water to the bowl, he needs to be slowly re-acclimated. I don't recommend a net to catch him as it can damage his fins. Try cupping him in the middle of the water - don't clip his fins with the cup up against the side of the tank.

Otherwise, if you want to do natural treatments, get Indian Almond Leaves if you can. Tan the water and cover the bowl with suran wrap with holes poked in it to keep in the heat and humidity and treat with aquarium salt at 3tsps per gallon for no longer than 14 days. You would need to slowly add the salt and build up to 3tsps and pre-tan the water with the Indian almond leaves. Also, I'd still keep the tank dark.
Old 03-02-2013, 02:21 PM   #8 
AyalaCookiejar

Is a one gallon tank the largest you can have?

I'd like to point out that Walmart has these two gallon cookie jars for about $9. The lid would need to stay open so he can get air, and the jars are a bit taller than they are wide and they're also round so they might not take up much more space than the tank you already have. However, since the jars are taller, you would need some tall plants for him to rest on. A two gallon would work perfectly fine heated with a 25watt adjustable heater.
Old 03-02-2013, 02:28 PM   #9 
intelligentle

Velvet shouldn't do anything to people, right? I can try to cup him out and it should be a problem for me to put my hands in his tank? As in unsafe for me or change the ph adversely for him? when i'm doing 100% water changes, should i wade the cup he's in into the tank so that the water is the same temperature? and if i don't net him (which i've had bad experiences with my first betta. i knew that netting him improperly caused him to die), how am i do get him out of the cup he's in into the new water if i don't pour him and the water in his holding cup back into the tank? does that make sense? thanks for your help
Old 03-02-2013, 02:33 PM   #10 
callistra

You can't get sick from this.

That's Velvet, which is an opportunistic infection from fish stress and/or poor water conditions. Here is some good general info on keeping fish healthy:

Bettas need to be kept in 2 gallons minimum. In these twice weekly water changes of 50% and 100% are needed. Bettas kept in 1 gallon containers live an average of about 2 years compared to double that+ in larger containers. The 1 gallon would need 3 weekly water changes of 50%, 50% and 100%, and even then they will be subjected to ammonia.

The 50% changes the betta can be kept in the bowl and use a turkey baster to remove half the water and as much of the debris as possible. For the 100% you need to remove him - scoop him out with a plastic solo type cup and set aside while you thoroughly rinse the bowl and gravel to remove the debris. Then he should be acclimated to the new water by floating for an hour while you slowly add a couple tablespoons of new water to the cup every 10 minutes. When you release him, try to let as little of the old cup water back into the tank as possible. All water changes should use same temp water, matched to running tap using the in tank thermometer and the water needs to be premixed with conditioner before adding it to the betta tank. If you don't already have anything, you can use gallon water jugs from the grocery store - rinsed thoroughly in hot water but no chems.

Bettas are tropical fish and must be kept at a temp between 76-82, with 78-80 being ideal. The temp must be stable and not be dipping or jumping around. In a 2 gallon you can get an adjustable 25w heater. Any new heater should be tested for 24 hours in similar size container with in tank thermometer to make sure it will hold a constant appropriate temp between 78-80F. Then the betta must be acclimated to higher temp either by floating in a cup inside the main already fully heated tank for an hour, or by adjusting the heater to increase the temperature of the tank no more than a degree per hour and 5 degrees per day.

You should look for a good quality pellets whose first two or three ingredients are whole fish, not fish meal or wheat. He should be fed two small meals a day (how many depends on the pellet you pick up) and one fast day a week.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote