Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-01-2013, 06:54 PM   #1 
knobby

Fin rot or just fin loss/damage

I got my betta about 3 weeks ago. I put him in an existing 10 gallon tank with heater and filter that has had an African Dwarf frog in it for 3 years.

The water parameters:

Ammonia 0ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate 5ppm
ph 7.4

I've been doing small partial water changes about every other day. I vacuum the gravel and remove and replace 2 gallons each time. I have well water and add stress coat every other time I change the water.

Yesterday my betta was fine. But this morning when I fed him I noticed his fins were tattered. He also has 1 long split in his caudal fin.

At first I thought maybe he had gotten stuck to the intake of the filter or had hurt himself on a plastic plant that was in his tank (I've removed it, it was one that looked like this: http://pimg.tradeindia.com/01221151/...STIC-PLANT.jpg)

...but then I noticed spots on his pectoral fins.

So I don't know if he has fin rot or fin damage.

Here is a picture of him when I had first gotten him:

This morning:

Here you can see the tattered fins, and the long split in his caudal fin

And in this picture you can see his pectoral fin with a small white spot on it (there are actually more on this fin, but it was hard to capture in a picture). There are spots on both his fins. In pictures of him when I first got him there are no spots like these on his fins.

In person the spots look like thinned areas on his fins.

So what does everyone think based on the pictures?

I've added a dose (1 tsp) of Melafix to the tank and removed the carbon from the filter. Should I continue with my every other day water changes? The bottle says to dose once a day and change the water after 1 week. But am worried because I don't want the level of medication to get too high for him (based on what I've read about Melafix and bettas online) and also want to keep the water as clean as possible.

Last edited by knobby; 03-01-2013 at 07:08 PM.
knobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:04 PM   #2 
knobby

Is there a prime temperature for the healing process?

Right now the heater is set to 78 degrees.
Old 03-01-2013, 08:37 PM   #3 
Mal72

I am definitely not an expert, but I do not think that he has fin rot. Fin rot is a very slow moving disease, so it is more likely that he tore his fins on the plant or they became damaged with the filter. Or better yet, that stump decoration that is in his tank may be the culprit.

I would not treat him with Melafix any longer. It is very harsh and can cause more harm to him when there is nothing wrong.

You seem to be very diligent in caring for him and as long as you continue with the water changes and his water remains clean, his fins should heal on their own.

78 degree is a good temperature. :)
Mal72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 02:20 PM   #4 
callistra

You can prefilter the intake of the filter, if it is HOB : http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...sl_n6rp7dysc_b
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 02:59 PM   #5 
knobby

It has gotten worse. So I don't think it was an injury anymore. I do think it's fin rot now.

Old 03-02-2013, 04:30 PM   #6 
knobby

So I quarantined my fish in a small tank. Put him in the tank and what does he do? He goes to the bottom and eats a piece of gravel! I watched him do it, completely helpless since I could not stop him. I thought he would spit it out (this fish is picky about food and it took a couple different brands of pellets till he liked one - I've watched this fish spit out a lot of food) and he swallowed the gravel! I can't believe it!

Is he a gonner? This was not just a teeny tiny piece. It was a good chunk of gravel. I don't know how he will be able to crap the thing out.
Old 03-02-2013, 04:32 PM   #7 
callistra

PM OFL.. I have no idea.
Old 03-02-2013, 05:34 PM   #8 
knobby

I just fed him about half of a shelled pea. He is swimming around normal right now. Looks bloated of course.

I really doubt he will be able to pass the gravel, but I figured doing something would be better than nothing.
Old 03-02-2013, 06:05 PM   #9 
callistra

I don't know that forcing the gravel through quicker was the right call.. I mean if it sat in his stomach a while at least it would have had some time to break down. I guess only time would tell.
Old 03-02-2013, 06:15 PM   #10 
knobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by callistra View Post
I don't know that forcing the gravel through quicker was the right call.. I mean if it sat in his stomach a while at least it would have had some time to break down. I guess only time would tell.
Rocks are indigestible. So my choices were to leave it in his stomach and watch him die or give him something to give him a (albeit small) chance at passing it.