Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-28-2013, 10:15 PM   #1 
jadaBlu

Red stripe on the fin otherwise seemingly healthy betta

I have blue betta I have two concerns a red stripe showed up on his low fin today and he seems a little grayer in color on his upper body. I an due for a 50% water change which I was going to do in the morning. I have 5 gallon unfiltered tank. I have filter but I am waiting for a sponge in the mail.

The only recent change I made was adding this bonsai tree:

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...uctId=11147116

And I added a glass top to the aquarium. I still had the tank covered previously though.

His tank temp is 84 degrees

He is a very, very active fish. He races back and forth in his tank, follows my finger and come to the front of the tank whenever I enter the room.
He has a huge bubble nest built in the tank.

My water PH is 7.2 coming out of the faucet I just checked and it's about 6.6 right now
I don't have a nitrate test-If you know where to buy one let me know I've been looking

Ammonia is 0 ppm
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:49 PM   #2 
veggiegirl

Hey there,

It would be great if you could post a photo of your betta so that we could make a more accurate diagnosis. Depending whether or not your betta carries the marble gene the colour change may be completely normal however red marks in the fins are also a sign of septicemia and fin rot. Does your betta have any tears or holes in his fins?
veggiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 12:59 PM   #3 
callistra

There's been some discussion about problematic Top Fin ornaments leaching toxins into the tank. Not saying for sure that's happening, but I know for sure it has.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 01:17 PM   #4 
jadaBlu

I have some top fin ornaments. I know I have some Marina ornaments too. I don't recall which is which. I gather the problem is some have metal stems in them. I've checked mine are well sealed with aquarium glue. Would it still leach into the aquarium? However, I have sent away for aquarium glue to take all plants apart and reasemble. It's really annoying when places that sell things for aquariums that are not safe. I wish there was a stick with pictures of all problem plants. I found a picture of the stripe that looks like my fish:
http://watershed3.tripod.com/betta_splendins.jpg

The stripe is only on one fin. He is very active and seems fine. Maybe he is just changing color. As for the gray sometime he looks kind of blackish-gray, or navy, other times a lighter gray

Last edited by jadaBlu; 03-02-2013 at 01:20 PM.
Old 03-02-2013, 01:31 PM   #5 
callistra

I don't see anything wrong with that betta, but it's not your betta.. the graying color is concerning.

Yes, because the ornaments are porous.. water passes in and out of the ornament, and with it the toxins from any rusting stems.

Also 84 is okay short term, but long term it will speed up his metabolism and make him live a shortened life. I would set your heater down to 78-80, but don't cool it off more than a degree or two per day.

The unfiltered 5g should get 100% weekly, and personally I'd add a 50% mid week.
Old 03-02-2013, 01:45 PM   #6 
jadaBlu

My thermometer isn't adjustable I am going to leave the door open today and see if the temp goes down. The bathroom is warm I can also get a magnetic cover for the heating vent. My betta in the kitchen where there's more airflow has a perfect 82 with the same heater. I'll be trying to post pics soon. I found my card reader. Now the camera has been moved :(. I'm tidying up today so unless some put it up somewhere I should find it.
Old 03-02-2013, 02:24 PM   #7 
callistra

It's really important for bettas to be kept away from vents because they will cause temp swings. The bathroom is probably not a good spot for your betta, especially if you leave it closed.

When you take a shower, you have all of those soap chemicals into the air and the temp fluctuates around, etc.. unless you're not using the bathroom at all.
Old 03-02-2013, 02:34 PM   #8 
jadaBlu

We don't shower in this bathroom. I use it to get ready to go places and I step outside the bathroom with the door shut if I have to spray anything. The door has been closed because my cats were interested in him (staring) but they seem to have lost interest. I will keep it open while I am home and see if their lack of interest continues. The temp stays at 84 at least when the door is closed I've checked it often. The vent is on the floor.

Last edited by jadaBlu; 03-02-2013 at 02:37 PM.
Old 03-02-2013, 02:44 PM   #9 
bettalover2000

Location: Narnia, England, and Middle Earth, All at the same time!! I travel very quickly in a Blue Police Box
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=73333
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=73332
These threads may help you.

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=90086

Please look at this thread if your betta is showing gray.
Some pictures would help. :)

We can help you further if you would please fill out this form. :)
bettalover2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 04:58 PM   #10 
jadaBlu

I have pictures now

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggiegirl View Post
Hey there,

It would be great if you could post a photo of your betta so that we could make a more accurate diagnosis. Depending whether or not your betta carries the marble gene the colour change may be completely normal however red marks in the fins are also a sign of septicemia and fin rot. Does your betta have any tears or holes in his fins?
No holes the video is pretty clear and could pause to have a closer look. Sorry for reflections.

http://youtu.be/zA9ue0HjAQg