Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-02-2013, 09:42 AM   #1 
aquaticlifelover

10 Gallon Fish Tank Ideas

i am stocking my new 10 gallon tank today, ive already fish-less cycled it! any thoughts or suggestions of what i should get? i was thinking guppies, neon tetras, mollies or platies. let me know what you think! thanks!
aquaticlifelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 10:10 AM   #2 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Mollies are the only thing that won't work in that tank. They are brackish and get pretty big.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 10:41 AM   #3 
aquaticlifelover

thank you!
Old 03-02-2013, 11:49 AM   #4 
eemmais

I really like tetras and platies. You could also divide it and keep a couple bettas. Or maybe a female betta sorority?
eemmais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 04:37 PM   #5 
Bombalurina

What is your water hardness and pH? Livebearers prefer harder, alkaline water and tetras prefer soft, more acidic water. Your water will be the deciding factor. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 06:16 PM   #6 
aquaticlifelover

i ended up getting 6 neon tetras and 3 fancy male guppies. they are doing great! i also put in a marimo moss ball, and a bubbler, which im glad i did! the guppies keep picking at the moss, too funny. i really wish i could put 2 sunburst platies in there but the lady said that would be too much. do you think so? or a rainbow platy? and also, if all goes well in a couple weeks could i get an otto? or a pleco? and also around how many female bettas make a sorority, just wondering. my ph is at a perfect 7! thanks everyone :)

Last edited by aquaticlifelover; 03-02-2013 at 06:20 PM.
Old 03-02-2013, 07:01 PM   #7 
Elsewhere

You need to keep an eye on those Tetras- they have a thing for nipping tails. If you get "an" Oto, you need to get at least three more. They like groups of four and more. Tis all the advice I can give! Good luck!
Elsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 07:17 PM   #8 
aquaticlifelover

oh, okay thanks! :)
Old 03-02-2013, 07:35 PM   #9 
Bombalurina

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaticlifelover View Post
i ended up getting 6 neon tetras and 3 fancy male guppies. they are doing great! i also put in a marimo moss ball, and a bubbler, which im glad i did! the guppies keep picking at the moss, too funny. i really wish i could put 2 sunburst platies in there but the lady said that would be too much. do you think so? or a rainbow platy? and also, if all goes well in a couple weeks could i get an otto? or a pleco? and also around how many female bettas make a sorority, just wondering. my ph is at a perfect 7! thanks everyone :)
Do be aware that you have fish preferring two different types of water in the same tank. It might be alright as ubiquitous domestic fish like these are more tolerant of things like that, but if you have an extreme of water then someone is going to be unhappy, so I still strongly advise checking hardness. Your pH is good for both species. :)

You are fully stocked (slightly overstocked, if you don't have live plants, IMHO), so no other fish. Platys and otos are both social fish and require multiples of their own species to thrive, and plecos get too big for a ten gallon, as well as producing a lot of waste.

In a ten gallon, 5-6 females is the ideal for a sorority. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 07:39 PM   #10 
aquaticlifelover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombalurina View Post
Do be aware that you have fish preferring two different types of water in the same tank. It might be alright as ubiquitous domestic fish like these are more tolerant of things like that, but if you have an extreme of water then someone is going to be unhappy, so I still strongly advise checking hardness. Your pH is good for both species. :)

You are fully stocked (slightly overstocked, if you don't have live plants, IMHO), so no other fish. Platys and otos are both social fish and require multiples of their own species to thrive, and plecos get too big for a ten gallon, as well as producing a lot of waste.

In a ten gallon, 5-6 females is the ideal for a sorority. :)
i have the moss ball, i could also transfer a peacock fern and congensis anubis from a tank not being used. would that work well?