Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-02-2013, 09:05 PM   #1 
Lyshymo

New Betta not eating.

Housing
What size is your tank? 1 gallon (I don't want to here that this is in-adequate care, I've owned multiple Betta for years in 1g tanks that lived a happy, healthy, long life.
What temperature is your tank? 79*
Does your tank have a filter? Don't have one hooked up, but I have one I can use.
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No.
Is your tank heated? Yes.
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? TetraBetta Pellets (I will be switching to either NLS or Omega One soon)
How often do you feed your betta fish? Twice daily, two pellets per feeding. Fast them one day per week.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Two-three times weekly
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50%-100% changes (generally 100% changes)
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? BettaSafe.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Yes, everything is in the proper parameters.

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Hasn't.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? He's new, but he hasn't been swimming too much but if I walk by his tank he'll zip around quickly.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Since I bought him.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Haven't.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Bought him a couple days ago...
How old is your fish (approximately)? Unknown. I assume relatively young.

So I bought Pascal on February 28th, 2013 and he hasn't eaten since I brought him home. I've been allowing him to adjust to his tank, but he's quite fearful of people still and doesn't seem to swim much, but he isn't lying at the bottom of the tank as if he's ill. He does move as I see him in the front of the tank, then he'll be at the back a while later, but he just isn't AS active as my other boy, Ozwald.
When I do go to the tank, he gets shy and hides toward the back before swimming to the side I'm at.

Now, I didn't put his gravel and plants in because I wanted to be sure he was eating and wasn't ill...however he has a hide-out that he does swim in as I didn't want him to be overwhelmed. Do you think him not eating is merely stress? Would you recommend putting in the gravel and plants so he can hide throughout the tank so perhaps that'll decrease his stress?

Any ideas?

If you want to see what he looks like, you can find him here:

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=130314

His physical appearance hasn't changed at all.

Thank you!
Lyshymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 09:19 PM   #2 
callistra

How did you acclimate him to the new water?
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 09:27 PM   #3 
Lyshymo

I had him in the cup I bought him from and had that sitting in the new water (letting the temperatures match) for about 20 minutes, before putting spoonful by spoonful allowing him to get used to the water differences.
Old 03-02-2013, 09:34 PM   #4 
callistra

That's still rushed, depending on how different the water was.

I'd give him a few more days to perk up and assume he's still adjusting to the new water.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 09:36 PM   #5 
Lyshymo

No, it's slowly acclimated over quite a bit of time. It isn't done in like 45 minutes or anything so I'm sure he was fully acclimated, but perhaps it wasn't long enough for him? I just had him sitting in there getting used to the temperature difference for a mere 20 minutes before starting to add a bit of the tank water. You might misunderstood what I meant?
Old 03-02-2013, 10:02 PM   #6 
LittleBlueFishlets

A lot of fish won't eat for the first few days when introduced to a new tank. He may never have had pellets (or at least this brand of them) before, so he may be unsure of them right now. Give him a day or two to get used to things.

If he looks stressed, you could add a plant or two. You can also put a towel around the tank to darken it, or else just keep the room dim, for a day or so. Sometimes, they calm down in darkened conditions.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 10:36 PM   #7 
MoonShadow

Many fish won't eat at first in new homes, bettas can go quite awhile without eating and suffer no ill effects. Keep his lights off, bettas seem to settle down faster when its dark as the poster above me mentioned. Keep offering him food, and if he doesn't eat it remove it.
MoonShadow is offline   Reply With Quote