Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-19-2013, 09:18 PM   #181 
Sparrowhawk

Yeah, I didn't put enough thought into everything when deciding to try and fishless cycle the uninhabited tank. In future, if I get another tank, I'll cycle it using ammonia before going on any grand aquascaping adventure, haha! Alternatively I'll use the bucket method. The tanks I've got with fish in them are doing fabulously, the plants are growing (though not much as I didn't have great lighting until yesterday) and after 5 days since the last water change ammonia is still at 0, and I've been testing daily! Those stems and extra floaters have put a HUGE dent in my WC workload! I almost can't believe it, with such small tanks I may only have to do weekly changes (depending on tomorrow and Friday's test results).

Of course, this gets me thinking that y'know, I could handle one more tank... No, brain, stahp! I don't have room for any more!

Last edited by Sparrowhawk; 02-19-2013 at 09:21 PM.
Sparrowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:15 PM   #182 
AyalaCookiejar

Room, schmoom, lol. Us Betta keepers are very creative and are able to make space that doesn't exist and spend money we don't have :p lol. I call that talent. We're pretty good magicians.

I can't wait to get live plants, you're driving me crazy :p its supposed to storm here Thursday and we're supposed to get 1-1 1/2 feet of snow (sorry if you don't know feet, I can't convert it ATM!) and its supposed to storm again Monday, and our spring break starts next Thursday. They're saying we could possibly have 5 consecutive snow days (at school). Anyways, lol, I don't think any plants or fish will be shipped to me for awhile :(
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 03:50 AM   #183 
Sparrowhawk

Hehe! Live plants are awesome. I do hope the weather improves soon so you can get yours, they're seriously addictive though, be warned!!

I heard some exciting news today - Jesus Christ Superstar is coming in June! That arena thingo with Tim Minchin as Judas. I do like the musical a lot, being an Andrew Lloyd Webber fan, but... I'm still not sold on this idea of arena musicals, though. When I saw Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds as an arena thing, it was awesome, because it was originally just an album and brought to life with a 30 foot tall Martian fighting machine it was absolutely amazing, but when it comes to proper musicals, I do like seeing them in their original theatre format. I'm also not sold on the clip of Gethsemane that's available on YouTube from this production... I'll probably see it anyway if I've got the cash, hehehe.

But what I really want is for Cats and/or Phantom to come back. After seeing Love Never Dies here in 2011, I'd love to see those same people in those roles again. SQUEE! Don't mind me, just getting all excited over musicals...
Old 02-23-2013, 07:25 AM   #184 
Sparrowhawk

Phew, today was tiring! We helped some friends of ours move. We're only just really getting to know them, having only known them for the last five months or so, but they're of the older crowd in our scene, and seem to be really genuinely nice people, so we didn't mind lending a hand. Super early start, and we got home at almost 11pm. But a few truckloads of loading then unloading their whole house, and they're moved! Yay! I don't mind helping friends out when they need it, especially when I get that vibe about them that indicates that they're the kind of people who will have your back if you need help too. To me, that's what friends do, and I'm in the process of weeding out those who don't share that view from my life, so having people who share my views on friendship enter my life at the same time is great!

Oh, and getting to handle their pet snake was pretty awesome too. He's a big boy, that snake. I don't feel comfortable handling people's snakes until I've gotten to know that particular snake, but can always, always appreciate their beauty. ^.^

COMPLETELY non-fish-related post, but that's okay, 'cause it's my journal, haha. The boys are all doing fabulously, so there's nothing new to report on that front, heh. Well, apart from Falkor's stuff all having finally arrived for his revamped tank. That'll happen soon, and hopefully we'll get those new powerboards soon so he can actually have his light on rather than ambient light from my lamp and indirect sunlight. Squee!
Old 02-24-2013, 07:21 PM   #185 
Sparrowhawk

Hmph. I'm a bit confused about my plants. I have all three planted with the same plants, just in different designs. I've tried to arrange everything so that the plants with higher light requirements receive it, and the low-light plants get shaded, though mainly by the floaters. What I don't get is why, under the exact same conditions, some plants are thriving in one tank, while seeming to only just get by in another. For example, the wisteria in Weehawk's tank is just taking off, it's great. In Feyd's it looks like it's hanging on by a thread, though some lovely new growth is happening at the tops of those stems. What could be making that happen? I do everything the same for all three planted tanks, dose the same amount of ferts, root tabs and CO2 liquid, but they're reacting differently. Hmmmmm! I suppose I'll continue as I am and just watch for any change.
Old 02-25-2013, 11:39 PM   #186 
Sparrowhawk

Just re-scaped all three planted tanks... This time, I tried to allow for more stems to be planted when they arrive, rather than creating elaborate structures out of driftwood, haha.

Things still look nice in all of them, it's just a lot more simple. Two of the tanks no longer have tunnel-like or cave structures in them, which some might criticise, but Feyd never used his cave, preferring to swim through leaves and stems, so the new setup will suit him perfectly!

As for the uninhabited tank, I've basically just tried to work with what I have to create something that suits the plants. I'm sure Gandalf/Saruman (name will be chosen depending on personality, hehe) will love it regardless of the lack of cave when he arrives, as it'll be chockers full of stems and leaves for him to swim through!

I couldn't let go of Weehawk's tunnel though. He adores it, so it stayed. I quite like it too, the two pieces of wood it's made out of just fit so well together, I'd likely have kept it whether or not he used it! I managed to make another little gap for him to swim through as well while I was at it. Double awesomeness for him!

Falkor's tail has almost grown back fully, so it's almost time for us to see whether he bites because he doesn't like a lot of decor (that is, almost nothing, we've tried with a fairly small amount, but kept his cave in, and he still bit) or if he just bites because he wants to and tends to have "I do what I want!" moments. After we see what he needs, it'll be time for us to pretty up his tank. I've felt so guilty while waiting for his tail to grow back, since his tank looks fairly dull with only two silk plants in it and nothing else, but I thought it best we see once and for all if that's what he needs. If not, he can have all of the pretty things!

The one downside to the new layouts of the planted tanks is that I'm not sure there will be enough cover for shrimp should I choose to get some. I suppose I can just wait until the subwassertang grows out a bit, and when I get my pearl grass, see if that grows leggy or bushy (though I suspect it'll be leggy in all likelihood) and assess the situation then. There's certainly not enough moss anymore to give them cover. I guess I'll have to play it by ear, keep a watch on the plants, see how they're growing, all that stuff. Which I'd do anyway, hahaha.
Old 03-02-2013, 08:30 PM   #187 
Sparrowhawk

Just finished my workout, and I'm pooped. The boyfriend's brother is over for the weekend, so I've gotta somehow find the energy to put the exercise bike away, make the bed, clean up around here since the boyfriend apparently doesn't know how to clean anything unless he's being yelled at, and then see if my grandmother wants anything...

I'm feeling pretty discouraged with my tanks at the moment. I have a problem with diatoms, and it's driving me nuts. I've reduced the photoperiod, but I don't want to reduce it too far as that bacopa caroliniana has been so bloody difficult with me and seems to need every last bit of light it can get. Fairly sure all the rest will deal fine with a shorter PP, but yeah... Thinking about ripping the bacopa out and only having low-demand plants, but I really love the look of it. Perhaps it'll have to wait for when I have a better setup and more experience. Not sure what I'm going to do about the pearlgrass that's coming in the mail next week then, guess I'll give it a shot and if it makes it, great. If not, oh well. I'll just order some more of the faster growers and fill in the gaps with those. I'm kinda over caring about the perfect appearance now, and just want loads of healthy, fast growing stems. I'll create my perfect aquascape when the time is right, and finances allow, instead of stressing when I'm new to it all.
Old 03-02-2013, 09:38 PM   #188 
AyalaCookiejar

Isn't that algae?

Bahari's tank is growing algae... Probably because of all the excess food he lets fall causing excess nutrients for the algae to grow... Fast growing plants combat algae, but if you dose with a plant nutrient like Flourish, maybe cut back on that, too? It sounds like there are more nutrients than the plants are using up (if you are even talking about algae, lol).

I'll probably get shrimp once his tank cycles to clean up the fallen food and battle the algae.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 10:06 PM   #189 
Sparrowhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyalaCookiejar View Post
Isn't that algae?

Bahari's tank is growing algae... Probably because of all the excess food he lets fall causing excess nutrients for the algae to grow... Fast growing plants combat algae, but if you dose with a plant nutrient like Flourish, maybe cut back on that, too? It sounds like there are more nutrients than the plants are using up (if you are even talking about algae, lol).

I'll probably get shrimp once his tank cycles to clean up the fallen food and battle the algae.
Yuppers, it's a type of algae. I'm just glad I don't have one of the harder to deal with algaes growing, don't know how I'd handle that if I'm having difficulty with this one!

I've cut back on the Flourish, but have upped the CO2 Booster dose slightly so the plants will hopefully be able to use more of the light they get, and thus grow more. I'm not sure if it'll work with liquid supplementation, but apparently if you have a pressurized system you can increase the amount to help fight algae, so I guess it's worth a shot? I do wish I could do pressurized but the budget definitely does not allow that, and I don't trust myself to get it right the first time, and I can't really afford to make a large mistake in such small tanks...

Perhaps with the addition of more fast growers (which was happening next week anyway) the algae will die down a bit. I suppose we'll see. >.<
Old 03-04-2013, 12:18 AM   #190 
Sparrowhawk

So I got some little shrimpies today. They're soooo adorable! There's some cherries in the uninhabited tank, merrily swimming around and nibbling on algae, being adorable.

And there's a few ghosties in each of the other planted tanks. They're kinda in hiding from Feyd and Weehawk. I kept the fish out of the tanks for quite some time to try and give the shrimp more of a chance, but yeah... It would seem that they can move fast enough when they need to though, like a flash, which is lucky.

Y'know, I wouldn't have picked Weehawk for being the more gentle one though. But so far he's been far less aggressive towards the newcomers than Feyd has.

Let's just hope the itty bitty shrimpies make it! I've tried to provide as much cover as I possibly can for them, and more plants are on the way, which means even more cover...