Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-03-2013, 01:12 PM   #1 
Xaltd1

Water for Spawning

I'm about to set up my 10-gal spawning tank!:
I have an adjustable, submersible heater, a sponge filter designed for raising fry/shrimp (a Fluval); a clear "betta tube" (it's cool!) for the female; a pvc cave + a decoration that has a cave, duckweed + other live & plastic plants. I have a brine shrimp egg supply & microworm culture. I have "betta spa", IAL, and oak leaves. Whew!!! (&$$$$!!!)

One thing I can't find on the million web articles I've read: how should the water in the spawning tank be treated before adding the pair???

One video has the breeder pop in the filter, heater, then just dump in water and add the Betta Spa. Then she dumps in the pair & it's off to the races! I can't believe it's that easy. Are there common additives that may hurt the fry? I use Prime, but I have Stress Zyme & Quickstart (as well as the Betta Spa).

Should the spawning tank be cycled? For how long?
Xaltd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 01:52 PM   #2 
Myates

Just like any other tanks.. fill the tank up with tap water, conditioner, decorations and set heater to 82-84F and that's it :)

I use Prime for my water conditioner in all of my tanks.. no other additives (except plant tanks get fertilizer).

No cycle, don't turn on sponge filter until after the fry have been free swimming for a bit.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 02:20 PM   #3 
Xaltd1

But there are entire threads and stickys devoted to cycling, sometimes it takes months- concerns about nitrate and nitrites... why isn't it a concern with a fry tank?
Old 03-03-2013, 05:19 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaltd1 View Post
But there are entire threads and stickys devoted to cycling, sometimes it takes months- concerns about nitrate and nitrites... why isn't it a concern with a fry tank?
Mainly because you will be making 50-75% daily water changes for the fry. Plus, you don't need or want any water movement in the tank during spawning or usually needed for the first few weeks with the fry.
If you use live plants-these can help with water quality too.

IMO/E-the only chemical additive you need is a dechlorinator that covers-chlorine and chloriamines in your source water.
Adding natural products like IAL or Oak leaf can be helpful with spawning and for the fry of this species.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 05:42 PM   #5 
LittleBettaFish

None of my fry tanks are cycled. The extremely low pH doesn't allow for it.

Like OFL has said, you should be doing large enough water changes that the water quality stays excellent anyway.

I've never run into any issues by not having my fry tanks cycled. If you have a large enough spawn that water quality becomes an issue, you can always seed a sponge filter in a previously established/cycled tank or split the spawn into two separate tanks so it is easier to control the parameters.

All my 'spawn' tanks (pairs live together year round because they are not splendens) just get normal tap water with Seachem Prime added. The only other additives are peat moss and IAL to keep the pH low.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 08:35 PM   #6 
Xaltd1

My Ph is 8.2!