Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-03-2013, 04:20 PM   #1 
juju

Helping fins grow back

My new guy has some tears and missing pieces in his fins. When I first got him a few days ago it looked like he had some cotton wool growing on them, but now it isn't there anymore. It looks like part of his caudal fin (which had a lot of fuzz on it before) has fallen/broken off. Is there anything I can do or give him to help the fins grow back? It would be great if it was something safe for snails as well, since he shares a tank with a zebra nerite. Thanks in advance!
juju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 04:46 PM   #2 
LittleBlueFishlets

Some questions for you:

Do you currently see any fuzziness on him at all?
Do the damaged areas of his fins currently have any discoloration (red, black, gray, darkened areas)?

What size is your tank?
How often do you do water changes, and what percentage do you change?
What's the water temperature?
Do you test ammonia, if so, what's the reading?

The best way to help fins to heal is to keep him in warm, clean water. If there's no current signs of rot or infection, that may be enough.

What water conditioner do you use? API Stress Coat contains aloe, which can help promote healing, and is soothing.

If it looks like there are discolored areas still, you may need to step up the treatment. But answer the above questions first, so that people have more info about what's going on.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 05:04 PM   #3 
juju

No fuzziness on him anymore. His tail fin has some black on the edge.

2.5 gallon tank, 50% changes 3 times weekly, and I keep the heater at 79 degrees.
I don't test ammonia.

I use Aqueon water conditioner. If he does need medicine, is there any kind that won't hurt the snail?
juju is offline   Reply With Quote