Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-03-2013, 02:45 PM   #1 
Fins2Fur

Smile Swim Bladder Disease

I have a betta that seems to have fish bladder disease. I read to put Epson Salt in the water changes & I have a few questions. It said to put 2-3 tsp of salt in water. How often do I change the water and for how long do I use Epson salt? After that do I keep using fish salt in their water and how much? I have two bettas in a gallon bowl and I do a partial every few days. A pet store told me to use the pea that I will stop using. I have read some great info that I had not heard before and I am grateful for this site and how easy it was to get to it.
Fins2Fur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 03:20 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum and sorry you are having problems, however, we need more info and a pic.

Fill this info sheet out and add to this thread-the more info the better...
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=49233
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:45 PM   #3 
Fins2Fur

I hope I am posting this in the right place as I am not sure how to work this works. I don't have much extra time to learn how to navigate these places.

Housing
What size is your tank? 1 gallon for each two fish
What temperature is your tank? 75 degrees
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? NO
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? Fish 1 had a Betta mate that died suddenly but I removed him immediately. Fish 2 had a Betta mate.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Hikari Betta Bio-Gold which I have read is one of the worst that I could be feeding and I will be getting one of the others recommended. Tetra Baby Shrimp and Tetra Bloodworms.
How often do you feed your betta fish? Two times daily

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? quarter to half once a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 25-50%. Complete water change once a month.
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Aqueon Betta Bowl Plus. Water has been setting out at room temp for several days in the same room as them.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? No

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Both have sides extended
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? I have 2 fish swimming on their sides. Fish 1 has been like this for about 2 weeks. Fish 2 just started swimming someimes on his side about 4 days ago. They have not had any contact with each other.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Fish 1-2 weeks. Fish 2 4-5 days ago.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Fish 1 they told me to put a peeled pea in the water and I did this with changing the water everyday for about a week. He is now in water with Epson Salt. Fish two I did a water change and today I put him in water with Epson Salts.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No
How old is your fish (approximately)? Fish 1 maybe two years. Fish 2 maybe a year.
Fins2Fur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:22 AM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Are these home spawned or store bought or bought from a breeder.

Since they have otherwise been fine for over a year and the buoyancy issue is new-A few things come to mind-aging, too cool/dry air over the water, poor quality food, bacterial infection.

Be sure and get the humidity and heat up over the water-you want to see condensation buildup on the walls-I use plastic veggie wrap-but anything will work. Lower the water level to limit struggling and no water movement. Start Epsom salt 3tsp/gal and tannin treatment.
Premix your treatment water to use for 50% water changes every other day for 1 week-then every 3rd day for 1 week. Then re-eval..
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote