Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-04-2013, 01:45 PM   #1 
vlnr2

Question new betta not eating... any advice?

I just got my new betta, Felix (after the composer Mendelssohn...can you tell I'm a musician?) yesterday.

He was pretty healthy when I picked him up from PetCo, and his tank has been set up with new and conditioned water for two weeks (I set it up before leaving for Spring Break). Overall, he's healthy. I think he's even building a bubble nest, so I think he's pretty happy.

However, he seems to be really shy and cautious and won't eat any food that I feed him. I have tried the food that I've fed my previous bettas, Wardley Betta Food, and I even tried to feed him Aqueon Betta Treat Freeze-dried Bloodworms. He's either ignored the food or doesn't realize what it is.

I was wondering if anybody had any tips for getting him to eat and/or setting up a feeding routine for him. My previous betta immediately clicked into a routine, so I'm not sure how to go about this more difficult case with Felix.

Any ideas??

Oh, and he's in a 2.5 gal tank (not as big as I'd like but it's what I can afford at the moment). Filtered. Heated to ~79 degrees. Tetra BettaSafe water conditioner.

Thanks in advance! :)
vlnr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 02:04 PM   #2 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Hi there...its fairly common some Bettas when you bring them home need time to adjust before they will eat. I would offer the pellets to him in the morning and then in the evening and if he doesnt eat them take them out. Also the Wardley betta food I have heard is not very good as it contains to many fillers and not enough protein that Bettas need for good health. I would try New Life Spectrum Betta pellets , they may cost more but so totally worth it, my guy loves them.
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 02:24 PM   #3 
waterdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perseusmom View Post
Hi there...its fairly common some Bettas when you bring them home need time to adjust before they will eat. I would offer the pellets to him in the morning and then in the evening and if he doesnt eat them take them out. Also the Wardley betta food I have heard is not very good as it contains to many fillers and not enough protein that Bettas need for good health. I would try New Life Spectrum Betta pellets , they may cost more but so totally worth it, my guy loves them.
I totally agree. It takes some of them as long as 4 days before they start eatting, but once he does there is no stopping! LOL
I would advise a better food also. Wardley is pretty much just fillers. We recommend Omega-One or New Life Spectrum for the high quality protien these fish need to flourish!
I would also discontinue the bloodworms.
waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
healthy betta, not eating