Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-03-2013, 05:38 PM   #1 
katmandew

Unlevel tank

I'm perplexed about the level of my new bow front 28 gallon tank. I leveled the stand before setting the tank on it and then leveled again. The reason I had to level is because of the carpet it's sitting on. Everything seemed good and then I checked again when it was half full of water. It was about an 1/8 inch off on one side. I drained it and tried to level it again.

My neighbor came over to help and no matter what we did or where we put a shim something was always off a tad. I finally just went ahead and filled it up. Side to side I'm off between 1/16 and 1/8", and front to back on both sides the same. Here's where I'm really confused. If I set the level on the right hand corner diagonally it's just a hair off, but on the left corner diagonally it's a full 1/4" off??? What could be going on here? could the trim around the bowed front be off? I never thought to measure it before I set it up. Is this something I should be worried about? This is just madness and I don't want to be overly paranoid but I also don't want everything to crash. Please can someone explain this to me?
katmandew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 12:25 AM   #2 
Tikibirds

None of my tanks are even either. The 20G is off by a bit too - not sure how much but I can tell by looking at the water level that one side is higher then the other. I have yet to have the thing come crashing down. I would think the inside of the glass would be strong enough to withstand so much extra pressure??
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 05:10 AM   #3 
katmandew

I sure hope so! It just boggles my mind how the one side corner to corner could be so much different than the rest of the tank??
Old 03-04-2013, 09:48 AM   #4 
Tikibirds

The floor itself might be uneven. my dad's house - his floor was pretty noticable uneven. SOmething to do with the grouond water level and the tides. But then along came Hurricane Sandy and he had to litterally rip everything out of the 1st floor due to water damage. At least now the new floor is even.

Last edited by Tikibirds; 03-04-2013 at 09:50 AM.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:53 AM   #5 
White Mage

All of my tanks are uneven on side side as well. I guess nothing is perfect, lol.
White Mage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 01:24 PM   #6 
katmandew

I had to return a 25 gallon tank this morning that was defective and decided to check the level corner to corner and sure enough the one side was considerably off. I can only assume that the black plastic around the top of these tanks are not perfect. Sorry about your Dad and hurricane Sandy Tiki but I guess if you have to find the bright side of the devastation it would be he has new level floors lol!
Old 03-04-2013, 03:23 PM   #7 
Otterfun

maybe it's the inside of the tank that is uneven and your house is perfectly fine.
Use a level and check the footprint area (front, back, left, right) to see if the floor is leveled. Then check the front, back, left, right of the top of tank to see if it is level. If the floor and top of tank are level, then the bottom panel of the tank may not be perfectly leveled when it was made.
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:08 AM   #8 
katmandew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otterfun View Post
maybe it's the inside of the tank that is uneven and your house is perfectly fine.
Use a level and check the footprint area (front, back, left, right) to see if the floor is leveled. Then check the front, back, left, right of the top of tank to see if it is level. If the floor and top of tank are level, then the bottom panel of the tank may not be perfectly leveled when it was made.
I agree that it may be the tank because no matter what I did to level the stand something was always a bit off. Even if it is the floor, using shims should have leveled it. Since the tank and stand are on carpet I suspect that could be the problem also. It's starting to settle so it's only about 1/16" off so I guess I can relax lol!