Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-02-2008, 12:04 AM   #1 
deskbetta

RO additive for betta?

I haven't had fish in a long time, but when I did, I always used RO water. right now, I am planning on setting up a 1 gallon tank on my desk at work. We are lucky enough to have an RO unit for filtration here at work.

I always just used Kent RO Right to treat my water when I had a community and planted tank. I am wondering if there is a RO treatment product specially formulated for a betta tank? Thanks!
deskbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 01:13 AM   #2 
onefish2fish

ive heard RO water is to pure lacking minerals needed for the fish and its better to use declorinated tap water and thats what ive always used for my freshwater tanks, as for saltwater i use RO. i dont know how true it is freshwater wise but maybe someone with more experience with it can chime in
onefish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 01:45 AM   #3 
deskbetta

that is very true, plain RO water will kill freshwater fish. The osmotic pressure is wrong. Lacking minerals and salts. So, I have always added Kent Freshwater RO Right to my freshwater tanks. I have also read good things about Seachem's RO products. But I was just wondering if there is a betta specific RO freshwater treatment. From what I remember, bettas naturally live in tepid water, and Kent's Freshwater RO is supposed to duplicate river water. Not sure how much of a difference it would make, but since I'll be purchasing an additive, I might as well purchase the additive that will optimize the condition for my betta!
deskbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 03:17 AM   #4 
onefish2fish

i dont believe they make a betta specific R/O conditioner but i could be wrong about that. i think they make some sort of betta water conditioner but honestly your betta will be just fine in declorinated water or in this case RO with supplimented minerals. i do recommend some sort of filtration however but one that isnt too powerful to disrupt it. they like calm water and some sort of smooth substrate for a place to build up benificial bacteria for a cycle wouldnt hurt either. and if your going with plants silk or live is your best bet because plastic can cut fins. goodluck!
onefish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote