Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-27-2013, 11:53 PM   #281 
avraptorhal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
Your welcome...I am sure I forgot some information....Just ask questions on what you don't understand or if you need more detail....
Thank you for the wonderful sticky! I've started to set up a Betta tank. I have a 5.5 gal tank w/a glass canopy. I'm considering a Fluval Mini LED clamp on lamp PCL 13 P/N 3935. Does this sound reasonable to you? I have 2 AZOO Mignon filters for this project. I also have a 25 Watt heater for this tank. I have heard that Miracle Grow Potting soil is a good soil for an NPT. Any comments, suggestions questions are gratefully accepted.
avraptorhal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:33 AM   #282 
Oldfishlady

I honestly don't know that much about the LED lights, however, from my research-unless they are rated for plants-I wouldn't use them for a soil based tank. Color temp is what is important to support plant growth and the active plant growth is what keep the water safe for livestock. I don't know how the LED lights convert in term of color temp for plants- What I would recommend is looking for florescent light strip and use a 6500k bulb for a soil based tank.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 03:15 PM   #283 
OrangeAugust

Do you recommend having CO2 in a soil-based tank? I'm about to set up my 55 gallon tank and I'm thinking of doing DIY CO2... do you think it's needed?
OrangeAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:17 AM   #284 
Oldfishlady

I don't inject CO2-IMO/E its not needed in the NPT's-Once mature and you have debris in decomp they will make natural CO2-then you can run into problems if you don't have enough light along with injecting CO2. Plus NPT are intended to be low tech
Old 03-04-2013, 03:19 PM   #285 
OrangeAugust

Thanks!
One more question. I bought some organic potting soil, and it lists everything in it- basically stuff from forest floors. But then it says "natural fertilizers", and there are little white balls in it... what are the fertilizers made of? It can't be chemicals, can it? I mean, it says "organic" and "natural fertilizers". I hope I can still use it because I already put it in my tank and started covering it with sand...
OrangeAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 12:43 AM   #286 
FishyFishy89

if there's little white balls in it then I'm sure it has fertilizers. There shouldn't be any...
FishyFishy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 02:41 AM   #287 
SilverWolf

Ok, before I attempt this I want to make sure I'm understanding this right!

I put soil in first after picking out the big 'stuff';
Then I put sand on top of that?

How do I keep the two from mixing when I start adding water????

TIA
SilverWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:49 AM   #288 
Oldfishlady

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverWolf View Post
Ok, before I attempt this I want to make sure I'm understanding this right!

I put soil in first after picking out the big 'stuff';
Then I put sand on top of that?

How do I keep the two from mixing when I start adding water????

TIA
I place my soil-then I wet it slightly-then I place my sand-then I add water carefully so not to disturb the soil/sand layer-then I drain-then plant and refill

Orange-the white balls are most likely perilite or vermiculite(spelling) and will not hurt anything, however, they can get into the water column and be sucked into the filter-with that said, the few tank I used soil that has that in it has never caused any problems-It looks ugly and I have to fish it out every time I plant or pull a plant-since it usually will float.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:31 AM   #289 
SilverWolf

K, Thanks!
SilverWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 12:48 PM   #290 
BettaKing1997

Thanks that was helpful.

Thanks so much. I'm thinking about getting a small live plant. This deserves a thumbs up. 👍
BettaKing1997 is offline   Reply With Quote