Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-01-2008, 09:03 PM   #1 
diamondcdy

my betta fish eyes

1. Size of aquarium (# of gallons) - my fish is in a bowl because the pet store man said that it was ok but i say it is about 3 pints

2. Is your aquarium setup freshwater or brackish water? well i use tap water

3. How long the aquarium has been set up? by dank has been set up for about a month

4. What fish and how many are in the aquarium (species are important to know) i have a betta fish and there is only oen

5. Are there live plants in the aquarium? no there arent any plants in the bowl

6. What temperature is the tank water currently? about 70 degrees

7. What make/model filter are you using? im getting a new one 2morrow but it is class there no model for the filter

8. Are you using a CO2 unit? i dont no what this is

9. Does your aquarium receive natural sunlight at any given part of the day? yes it does

10. When did you perform your last water exchange, and how much water was changed? today
11. How often do you perform water changes? a week but i change it to every 3 days

12. How often and what foods do you feed your fish? i feed my fish 3 times a day about 4 pebbles and the fish food is called wardley's essentials

13. What type of lighting are you using and how long is it kept on? my room light and about 6 hours a day

14. What specific concerns bring you here at this time? that my fish as a very big eye and it is puffy

15. What are your water parameters? Test your pH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. i HAVE NO IDEA

16. What test kit are you using and is it liquid or test strips? I USE NONE

17. When was the last time you bought a fish and how did they behave while in the pet store tank? 2 MONTHS AGO AND IT WAS ALONE IN A SMALL BOWL SO I BROUGHT A BIGGER ONE
diamondcdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 05:34 AM   #2 
Flashygrrl

I see several problems here, a lot of these can be explained by reading this:
http://www.fishforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=17558

However the original popeye problem usually is due to poor water quality. For a small tank of your size you'd have to be changing the water darn near every day, and also with your water temp being so low it's probably weakened your betta and allowed bacteria to make him sick, hence the popeye. Good clean, constantly 78 degree water should make it go away on its own.

The article doesn't mention this but you only need to feed 3 pellets 2x a day. Your water that you use for changes also needs to be dechlorinated using water conditioner.
Flashygrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 08:12 AM   #3 
misty991

You need to get a 2.5 gallon tank for your fish. You should also get a heater.
misty991 is offline   Reply With Quote