Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-23-2013, 10:27 PM   #111 
MomaDragonfly

Ive had my VT Since Monday... today is day 6. I started him in a 1 gal bowl and on day three moved him to a 5 gal tank. I was advised to not let it cycle because the water temp in the 1 gal tank was more then likely to low. Room temp being 70, he was sitting on the bottom the entire second day. I put him in bag and over an hour every 10 min added the new tank water (treated with "betta h20 declorinator) Once in the new tnak and the warm water he became super active and has been making a bubble nest all day today. This is my first Betta and first tank. I know nothing about cycles and water changes... Its a little confusing at the moment. Some ppl say every couple weeks to once a month and some say every week. ... I have a Terta WhipserMico filter running and 2 live plants. I did purchase a vac but have never used one before and don't have water test kit. The water is crystal clear. He has been in the tank for 2 days today. Am I doing anything wrong? Also, I feed him Betta Bites once a day... 3-5 very small pellets. I have freeze dried blood worms also, but have only feed those once, before adding him to the new tank. Thanks!! Everyone on here is so helpful, I don't know what I would have done without finding and joining this site. Also... There is a pic of the tank in my albums is any of the setup isn't looking ideal. i still have to get a cave of somesort for him to hide in, just haven't been able to get out and do that yet. Thanks again

Last edited by MomaDragonfly; 02-23-2013 at 10:29 PM. Reason: Forgot to mention
MomaDragonfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 06:52 AM   #112 
pop

why do bettas survive in LFS cups since the cups are not cycled nor is the water changed on a daily schedule? is ammonia less toxic for betta fish

pop
pop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:19 AM   #113 
shellieca
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by pop View Post
why do bettas survive in LFS cups since the cups are not cycled nor is the water changed on a daily schedule? is ammonia less toxic for betta fish

pop
Surviving & thriving are 2 different things. Ammonia is toxic to any fish. Most of those Bettas don't stay in those cups for very long whether its because they're purchased & taken home or they die. I've pulled dead fish off the shelves more than once. Their color is usually duller than it should be, most have some sort of fin rot & almost all of them have some level of ammonia poisoning. People keep Bettas in too small a volume of water all of the time but unless they do right amount of water changes the Betta won't live as long as it should.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:31 AM   #114 
katmandew

I too got my first tank up and running back in January. Without knowing anything about cycling and testing the water I added a Betta who SEEMED to be enjoying his new place, swimming around, checking out the cave, etc. To make a long story short, he died in three days.

I joined this forum to understand how to properly set up and maintain a tank. I'm no expert since I'm still cycling but you MUST get a test kit and check your ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels. I'm on week 5 of cycling and it's still not complete. It seems simple to put a fish in and watch them go but that's not the case. There's more to it than making sure the temperature is warm.

Seriously, get a test kit and read some of the posts on cycling a tank. I had no idea what I was doing but I feel more confident with the help of the good people on here. Good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomaDragonfly View Post
Ive had my VT Since Monday... today is day 6. I started him in a 1 gal bowl and on day three moved him to a 5 gal tank. I was advised to not let it cycle because the water temp in the 1 gal tank was more then likely to low. Room temp being 70, he was sitting on the bottom the entire second day. I put him in bag and over an hour every 10 min added the new tank water (treated with "betta h20 declorinator) Once in the new tnak and the warm water he became super active and has been making a bubble nest all day today. This is my first Betta and first tank. I know nothing about cycles and water changes... Its a little confusing at the moment. Some ppl say every couple weeks to once a month and some say every week. ... I have a Terta WhipserMico filter running and 2 live plants. I did purchase a vac but have never used one before and don't have water test kit. The water is crystal clear. He has been in the tank for 2 days today. Am I doing anything wrong? Also, I feed him Betta Bites once a day... 3-5 very small pellets. I have freeze dried blood worms also, but have only feed those once, before adding him to the new tank. Thanks!! Everyone on here is so helpful, I don't know what I would have done without finding and joining this site. Also... There is a pic of the tank in my albums is any of the setup isn't looking ideal. i still have to get a cave of somesort for him to hide in, just haven't been able to get out and do that yet. Thanks again
katmandew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 03:04 PM   #115 
PupPetta

I purchased a test kit the other day (I'm not really attempting to cycle my tank, but was just curious if it had naturally occurred over the past few months). The test kit tests for nitrate, nitrite, hardness, alkalinity and ph, unfortunately not ammonia. So I was wondering, if my Nitrate level is low and my nitrite level reads 0, is it safe to say my ammonia level is at a good level?

Also, my water is extremely hard. My betta has been living in it for over a year but I have noticed that over that time his fins have become frail and less full than when I first put him in. Could this be due to the hardness of the water?
PupPetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 03:29 PM   #116 
Oldfishlady

Hard water can have some effect on the fins-especially the CT. My water is really hard along with a high pH and it hasn't caused any fin problems for any of my Long fin Bettas, however, I do have problems with the CT rays and why I don't work with them. I have found it easier to keep what works best in my source water than to try and change it-with some exception with other species of fish I spawn-but with Bettas-I just don't keep CT.

Some, not all, Long fin males can have fin issue with water movement and space. These long delicate fins can tatter from the current itself-as well as use of them to swim-be it in large water volume or against a current-It can vary based a lot on genetics, age and nutrition in how they tolerate it. Some won't have any problems at all...

As for your cycle-Usually if you don't have nitrite you won't have ammonia, however, that is not a sure thing-you should go ahead and get the ammonia test kit too-Testing is the only sure way to know.

The thinning or weakness of his fins could be due to water movement, space, water quality, age, genetics and/or nutrition related.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 04:14 PM   #117 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

And folks we are back online! Thanks to yours truly.

OFL if you ever see this, don't get mad, think of all the people that need this...
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 04:24 PM   #118 
finnfinnfriend

Thanks for bringing back this thread!
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:02 PM   #119 
dramaqueen
Banned

Thank you, Olimpia!.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 05:09 PM   #120 
avraptorhal