Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-04-2013, 02:23 PM   #1 
kaynmil

Help, been treating popeye for a lil over two months!!!

Hello,

I have been treating popeye on one of my bettas for a lil of 2 months, and it is not getting any better.

He is in a 3 gallon filtered tank by himself. I have been using epsom salt, fungus gard and this white powder local pet store said is strong for bacterial infections than fungus gard is (I cant remember the name of the white powder off hand)

i started out with fungus guard for a couple weeks , then added the epsom salt along with the fungus gard for a couple weeks, and then added the white powder to the two previous treatments. Even with all three treatments at once he isnt getting better.

He is still happy and swims and eats.. His eye is just huge!!!

Is there anything else I can do???? Please!!!!???? I am worried he will loose his eye!
kaynmil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 05:20 PM   #2 
callistra

More info please: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=49233

Exactly how much epsom salt were you using?
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 05:22 PM   #3 
Perry the platypus

We do need info and if possible a picture?
Perry the platypus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:24 AM   #4 
kaynmil

I did not get home until really late.. Today when I get home I will take a picture... I have been using half a table spoon of epsom salt every other day. and 2 100 percent water changes twice a week, because of all the other medication I put in everyday!
Old 03-05-2013, 08:29 AM   #5 
kaynmil

Housing
What size is your tank?3 gallon
What temperature is your tank? 75
Does your tank have a filter?yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated?no
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? betta flakes and frozen blood worms 2 times a week
How often do you feed your betta fish? everyday

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change?usually one 100 percent water change once a week.. currently with all the medication 2 100 percent water changes a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? all of it
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?the normal stuff stuff that gets rid of the bad chemicals..

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? only for ph and ammonia

Ammonia: none
Nitrite: -
Nitrate: -
pH:7.2
Hardness: -
Alkalinity: -

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? popeye
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? none
When did you start noticing the symptoms?when its eye started getting big
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? yes, with fungal gard,epsom salt and a white powder the aqaurium store gave me to treat bacterial infections.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? no
How old is your fish (approximately)? several months
Old 03-05-2013, 09:03 AM   #6 
kaynmil

The white powder i have been using is kanaplex!!! just remembered the name of it!!!
Old 03-05-2013, 05:55 PM   #7 
callistra

epsom salts need to be dosed at 1 tsp per gallon and you don't keep adding it. You only readd with a water change and only as much as water you actually remove and replace.

He is too cold. And also unless you keep his room 80F+ the temp of his tank is much lower.. it will be several degrees below room temp. Bettas are tropical fish and must be kept at a temp between 76-82, with 78-80 being ideal. The temp must be stable and not be dipping or jumping around. In a 3 gallon you can get an adjustable 25w heater. Any new heater should be tested for 24 hours in similar size container with in tank thermometer to make sure it will hold a constant appropriate temp between 78-80F. Then the betta must be acclimated to higher temp either by floating in a cup inside the main already fully heated tank for an hour, or by adjusting the heater to increase the temperature of the tank no more than a degree per hour and 5 degrees per day.

You should not use Fungus Guard and Kanaplex. Also whatever you use needs to be carefully diluted for the tank of your size.. How long has he been on meds?
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 03:36 PM   #8 
kaynmil

I have tried various heater they all make the water too hott... all my other betta have been thriving at current room temp...last one lived 5 years...

He has been on all three meds for over two months.. hes still a happy guy swims everywhere and eats etc.. his eye is just huge....
Old 03-06-2013, 03:38 PM   #9 
kaynmil

here is pic its fuzzy but you can tell his eye is huge

Last edited by kaynmil; 03-06-2013 at 03:42 PM. Reason: wrong size pic
Old 03-06-2013, 03:41 PM   #10 
tekkguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by callistra View Post
And also unless you keep his room 80F+ the temp of his tank is much lower.. it will be several degrees below room temp.
This is not necessarily true. My daughter's 2 gallon tank in her room stays 80* without a heater, even at night with the room at 73. It's the strangest thing I've ever seen, but I've verified it with multiple thermometers. My 5 gallon in the same area of the house definitely requires a heater to maintain the same temp, though.
tekkguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bacterial infection, popeye, treatment