Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-27-2013, 08:17 PM   #1 
Saphira101

Exclamation A friend needs help...

Hi guys, chicklette asked me to make this thread for her. Her friend got her first Betta a few weeks ago. She is concerned about the fish's well being because her friend can't do any of the water changes herself because of her physical disability. She gave my permission to post a picture of the tank and to get your advice. Her sister changes the water once a week.
She says that her friend's tank is just a simple Betta starter kit with gravel and an ornament that the fish can swim into. The temperature of the water is almost 80*F, and she doesn't have a heater, filter or aeration system. 100% of the water is changed each week, then gets treated with "Splendid Betta water conditioners". her friend feeds him a couple dried beta pellets twice a day plus 1 freeze dried bloodworm each week.

Here's a picture of the tank:

Input is highly appreciated!!

~Saphira & chicklette
Saphira101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:46 PM   #2 
eemmais

How big is the tank? I can't tell from the picture, but it does look a little small. Also, what food does she use? I would buy a thermometer, that way you will be able to tell if the temp. is stable or not.
eemmais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 12:34 AM   #3 
Saphira101

I'll find out.
Old 03-04-2013, 04:55 AM   #4 
chicklette

My friend's tank is a simple beta starter kit. Jerry has lots more room to explore now. She told me she wants to get him a bigger aquarium, but at the time she couldn't afford it. I just hope she'll get it, sooner than later. He doesn't seem to be complaining at the moment, but he''ll be much happier in something larger.
chicklette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 10:35 PM   #5 
Saphira101

Good to know. Keep us posted!

Do you know what brand of pellet she feeds him?
Old 03-04-2013, 10:43 PM   #6 
eemmais

The problem with smaller tanks is that they can't be heated. So I would get a 2.5 gallon soon.
Old 03-05-2013, 01:21 PM   #7 
chicklette

Yes, I agree eemais. She told me she will get a bigger tank.

Sapphire, she feeds him the wardley pellets. I have advised her, just days after she got Jerry, the strong reason to cycle the tank. I even told her about my male beta dying because I didn't cycle the tank. I cycled it in front of her, then told her not to put the fish back in for 5 days. She had him back in the next morning. I was so hurt, I didn't give her anymore advice for weeks. So I don't know if she'll take more advice or not, even if it's coming from more experienced beta parents (Jewel is my second beta).
Thanks for the advice and concern.
chicklette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:08 PM   #8 
eemmais

Good luck, hopefully she will understand :/ Wardley pellets are not very nutritional. If she can, she should get New Life Spectrum, or Omega One.
Old 03-06-2013, 01:24 AM   #9 
Saphira101

Quote:
Originally Posted by eemmais View Post
Good luck, hopefully she will understand :/ Wardley pellets are not very nutritional. If she can, she should get New Life Spectrum, or Omega One.
+1
Old 03-06-2013, 08:07 AM   #10 
Myates

Smaller tanks can be heated easily. I get the Hagen Elites "mini" heaters 25 watts - adjustable.. works great for 1-3 gallons.

I do agree a thermometer will help to see what the temp of the water is exactly - keep in mind it can be up to 5 degrees cooler than room temperature. Fluctuation is what you are wanting to avoid, as that can cause health issues.
I would tell her to get a heater, unless she is keeping her room at a constant 85F (which is uncommon as that is uncomfortable) then his tank isn't 80F.

You are not going to be able to cycle that tank - and not cycling does not cause death to a fish, majority of bettas do not live in a cycled tank. Anything below 5 gallons won't hold a stable cycle, and a proper cycle will take 6+ weeks, not 5 days.. so I wouldn't have her keep him out of his tank for 5 days - it does nothing for him nor the tank. Also keep in mind, without a filter, the tank won't cycle. I'm sorry your feelings were hurt, but if this is the tank/set up she had when she didn't keep him out for 5 days, then she actually did him a favor placing him back in, as keeping him in the cup would cause more harm as it would be colder than the tank... not by much, but some.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote