Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-05-2013, 06:46 PM   #1 
Kithy

Goldfish + BN pleco

So I was watching my fish today and I noticed when the goldfish went too close to the pleco it like, jumped up at the goldfish. This happened a couple of times actually.

So I'm wondering if this is the deciding point of having them in too small of a tank. Thinking of bringing one of them to petco (where I got em) for some store credit(or free, anything is better than both of them being stressed). Or maybe both, I don't know. But what should I get in return?

It's a 20g long with massive filtration but I think I'd like to have something fun in the tank, not overboard. I don't have the money to upgrade into a 29g right now.
Kithy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:53 PM   #2 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

If you can't upgrade, I'd rehome the goldfish for sure..

Pretty common way for plecs to defend themselves, so I'd say yea, he's feeling uncomfortable. It takes a while for them to get going, but I found once they make an enemy they develop quite the short temper with whatever they dislike.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:57 PM   #3 
Kithy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
If you can't upgrade, I'd rehome the goldfish for sure..

Pretty common way for plecs to defend themselves, so I'd say yea, he's feeling uncomfortable. It takes a while for them to get going, but I found once they make an enemy they develop quite the short temper with whatever they dislike.
I had a feeling this was what was causing the oranda's fins to be a bit shredded but hadn't actually witnessed anything. I think it happens because I feed the pleco an algae wafer by hand and the goldfish waddles over to steal it(this I have seen happen). So definitely giving the goldfish a new home (he stands a better chance at the pet store than being harassed in my tank). But I think it'll be a bit boring with just the pleco in there :X Any idea what could get along with the pleco or should I bring both back and find something else. I would LOVE to do two bettas in a split tank but the filtration on the tank is huge and I'm a bit short on what my husband is gonna let me spend for fish.

Well aware goldfish are not an option :3 Too small!! 20g long... not sure what I want.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:00 PM   #4 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Do you know if your water is hard or soft?
If you plant the tank, even keeping the pleco you will have a ton of options. I have over 20 fish in my 20 gallon long, 7 species of fish (plus ADFs), planting makes a huge difference in what a tank can support.
However, splitting the tank for two bettas might be a cheaper option, schools of fish can get quite costly ($1.99-4.99 each, at least 6 of them, really adds up).
Do you like anything in particular?
Old 03-05-2013, 07:03 PM   #5 
Kithy

Actually I have no idea if it's hard or soft :X Is there a way to tell?

I do love bettas but the one I have is giving me fits of tail biting.

I like guppies and platys :3 Are they cool with the not so slow moving filters?
Old 03-05-2013, 07:09 PM   #6 
Kithy

Well after "discussing" it with the hubby he is against any more fish /sigh

So we're gonna take both the goldfish and pleco to the pet store and move the betta from the 10g to the 20g ._.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:12 PM   #7 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Huh, if you take some tap water to Petsmart they can test the water hardness for free for you, and tell you how much ppm it is. Most petshops do free water tests as is..

Edit: Hah, lucky betta!
Old 03-05-2013, 07:21 PM   #8 
Kithy

Well hubby changed his mind. Again. He's apparently attached to the goldfish so he was all "I wanna keeeeeeep it" so to avoid argument I made him take the pleco up to the petstore.

Poor betta lol he used to be in the 20 when I got him but when the big tank kinda died he got moved to the 10.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:26 PM   #9 
Kithy

Sooo this is what we're left with lol Two Aquatech 30-60gallon filters, heater and an airstone with a nice mopani log in the middle lol

I guess we'll pick up a 29g when the $1/gallon sale is on again and maybe a stand for it :3

*head desk*