Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Meet the Betta Keepers
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-04-2013, 09:41 PM   #1 
AmberLynn

Another New (-ish) Betta Mama :)

Hi there everyone!

I've been lurking around this site for a while and finally decided to join tonight! All this information here is absolutely amazing and wonderful! I've truly enjoyed/appreciated everything I've read so far.

I've had my boy, Ulysses, since the end of December and can say that I have most definitely been bitten by the Betta bug. ;) I've loved watching him grow, watching his colors change from muddy and muted to vibrant and healthy. You almost wouldn't be able to guess that he is the same fish I brought home a few short months ago.
He was a Petco find, crowded into one of those tiny cups, and just looked so drab and sad. But he had these gorgeous blue eyes... how could I resist? :)

Ulysses is now living quite happily in a 1 gallon (I know, bring on the criticism for the small size) tank with regular cleaning/water change. (quite a few times a week, 50% most days, 100% about once every week)
I swear he is the most active Betta I've ever met! He hardly stays still long enough for me to snap a decent photo (unless it is a close up of his face, as he seems to be a diva and loves to have his face photographed. :) Gotta love that big personality, squished in such a small body!)
Attached Images

AmberLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 10:36 PM   #2 
AnotherKim

Wow. He almost doesn't look like the same fish. What a beauty.
AnotherKim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 11:00 PM   #3 
mermaid77

He's beautiful and definitely looks like a healthy & happy fish! That's what's important, not the tank size IMO...I currently have mine in a 1.5 and he's very active as well...I just ordered him his 5g upgrade tho...but I've been reading that some fish will actually prefer a smaller habitat...so we'll see...The minute I see him not enjoying his new home for whatever reason, back into his 1.5 he'll go!!! :)
mermaid77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 12:06 PM   #4 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Hi, welcome to the forum.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 01:54 PM   #5 
Snoeflayke

He's gorgeous! Congrats, and good job bringing out his true colors!

I'm also a new betta owner, with a small tank, I'd like to upgrade to a 2.5 gallon. I'm not sure I have much more room than that!

Can't wait to see if he changes color again!
Snoeflayke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 03:35 PM   #6 
waterdog

Welcome to Bettas R Us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nothing wrong with a small tank if you do proper water changes, which obviously you have! Most folks just aren't willing to keep up that demanding schedule which is when you see us go a little nuts!

Last edited by waterdog; 03-05-2013 at 03:37 PM.
waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 03:37 PM   #7 
Tabbie82

Hi! Welcome to the forum, glad to have you here. Ulysses is beautiful. Don't let anyone give you hell about a 1 gallon. You are taking good care of him and that is what counts!
Tabbie82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 05:19 PM   #8 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Love that transformation! A 1g is fine with clean heated water. My quarentine tanks are less.
MattsBettas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 05:40 PM   #9 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum and to the wonderful world of Betta keeping...

Nice to meet you...

Lots of different ways to keep this species successfully...
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:29 PM   #10 
AmberLynn

Hi again, and thank you all! :)
I've heard many, many different opinions on tank size, and most people I encounter are super against smaller tanks. I find that Ulyss likes the smaller ones better, with daily cleaning/water changes. I think he just gets overwhelmed in a bigger tank (though when he gets a little bigger, he is definitely moving up a gallon or two, whether he thinks he needs it or not!).

I've definitely loved watching his true colors come out. And they aren't done yet! As time passes, he is getting more vibrant and what was a muddy green/yellow-ish when I brought him home is becoming a striking turquoise blue when the light hits him. And a beautiful red/purple when the light doesn't catch him. It really is amazing what some TLC can do for these guys. :)
And all my family thought I was crazy when the only thing I wanted to do for my birthday was bring home one sad, unhealthy looking little Betta. ;)
AmberLynn is offline   Reply With Quote