Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-05-2013, 01:10 PM   #11 
Kanra Chan

Clear stringy white things?
Like webs in the tank?
That could be columnaris, a bacteria.
my brother's betta had that, and it led to dropsy and death. He was also experiencing fin rot.
Columnaris is extremely contagious (And zoonotic, be careful).
It feeds off of high nutrient water, so if your water is hard, it will thrive. As long as the water is hard, medication doesn't help.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Columnaris
If it's columnaris, what you need to do is remove your fish and completely sanitize and bake the tank. There is a HUGE debate on how to handle this, I would say low temperature water is best because, even though it may lower immune function, it will slow the metabolism and stop the spread of bacteria.
Once your water is soft, you can try salts and medicines. But I haven't heard of a fish recovering from columnaris yet.
I really don't want you to panic or anything, it might not even be columnaris. But if it is, you might have to be prepared.
Kanra Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 01:24 PM   #12 
Kanra Chan

Also, when I was caring for my brother's betta, I gave him a salt bath, which he reacted well to.
His attitude changed from sulky to lively, and it looked like he was fighting off the disease.
Unfortunately, I did not have much time to care for my brother's betta, and he couldn't keep up with the constant cleaning and medication, not to mention the transportation of the fish too and from the salt bath bowl. Although it may have been inevitable, it's possible that he could have recovered with better care.
He was not my betta, so unfortunately there wasn't much I could do.

Anyways, it breaks my heart to hear that your fish is going through such trouble. I really hope he gets better soon, and I hope you don't feel too bad about it. It sounds like your efforts are tireless, and your betta is lucky.
Old 03-05-2013, 02:18 PM   #13 
Demysta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanra Chan View Post
Clear stringy white things?
Like webs in the tank?
That could be columnaris, a bacteria.
my brother's betta had that, and it led to dropsy and death. He was also experiencing fin rot.
Columnaris is extremely contagious (And zoonotic, be careful).
It feeds off of high nutrient water, so if your water is hard, it will thrive. As long as the water is hard, medication doesn't help.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Columnaris
If it's columnaris, what you need to do is remove your fish and completely sanitize and bake the tank. There is a HUGE debate on how to handle this, I would say low temperature water is best because, even though it may lower immune function, it will slow the metabolism and stop the spread of bacteria.
Once your water is soft, you can try salts and medicines. But I haven't heard of a fish recovering from columnaris yet.
I really don't want you to panic or anything, it might not even be columnaris. But if it is, you might have to be prepared.
Oh god, now you have me worried. I hope its not columnaris... At first I thought the clear stringy things were his slime coat, since he is probably stressed from the illness and all the medications... I really don't want to lose this guy. Hope the Kanaplex can FINALLY ship. It still has not been marked as shipped on eBay. I'm keeping him in his 4 gallon for treatment, since my attempts at putting him in a heated 1 gallon QT bowl led to him sulking. I'll be sure to clean out the bowl extra well to make sure it won't spread infection if I need to use it for another fish.

The water here is soft, actually. Just googled it. I've had no problem treating my other fish if they get sick here, its just this guy.
Demysta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 02:26 PM   #14 
Kanra Chan

Well, columnaris looks literally like thin strands of spider webs everywhere, usually some of it leading to or coming off the fish. You'd definitely know if that's what it was, although I've heard it can look more like cotton sometimes. You can google some pictures and see how similar it looks to what you saw, maybe.

If it's his slime coat, you may want to put him in a salt bath briefly to promote slime coat regrowth, as well as to kill any bacteria on him. Some bettas do not react well to higher levels of salt though, even though they have good salt tolerance. My Mako is a drama queen when it comes to salt, and I have to gradually strengthen his salt bath over the course of a few days to get him used to it. The first batch isn't even really a salt bath at all, it's just water with slightly more salt in it.

If your water is soft, then that's great. You may not have to worry about columnaris, but it is still peculiar how your fish is not recovering. When my Mako's attitude changes and he becomes sulky, provided that the issue doesn't seem to be intestinal, I feed him a treat of frozen blood worms. I find that good food promotes a healthy attitude, and in some cases where one of my bettas really has been sick, it seems to speed their recovery.

These are just suggestions though, your judgement is definitely best.
Old 03-05-2013, 02:37 PM   #15 
Demysta

I've tried it all, Kanra. :( I have tried the salt bath approach, and he did not take to it well. And yeah, I find it weird how he isn't healing up at all. Its so strange all things considered. I've been keeping his parameters good with no traces of ammonia due to the daily water changes, and not even that has made an impact. Even with the re-treatment on Furan-2 with the addition of AQ Salt his tail has split right along a ray, and there are more pinholes in his tail. Only things in his tank are two very soft silk plants, river rocks, and a ceramic pot (hole is covered). He's still very active and likes to show off, still eats very well, etc.
And I have improve his nutrition to help too. :3 he is currently being given NLS pellets with a frozen food mix of bloodworms, daphnia, and brine shrimp.
Old 03-05-2013, 02:54 PM   #16 
Kanra Chan

It sounds like you're doing everything right.
I hate to say it, but what helped one of my previous bettas with fin rot the most was BettaFix.
I know people have a lot of horror stories about it, but those are usually about MellaFix, which I would obviously not recommend.
Anyways, none of my fish have reacted badly to it, and the one that had fin rot made a full recovery when I used it.

Other than that, all I can think of would be a prolonged salt bath or salt dip, which is obviously very dangerous in some cases, and I would not recommend unless your fin rot gets really out of hand. The benefits of both would be slime coat renewal and that it would kill the bacteria responsible for the fin rot. But the bad things would be stress, lowering of the immune system, sulking behaviour, and in the case of a salt dip, fainting and shock.

Since your fish's attitude has not changed, you may not need to resort to any of these. I usually don't use medication or salt baths / dips until my fish's attitude changes, because at that point, their immune system is already impacted, and I need to get them better before they contract something else.

However, I have not had a fish with worsening symptoms, but a normal attitude. You may want to speak to a breeder or vet, or someone with a similar situation. Other things you can consider is hostility in his environment (Sharp decorations or gravel, high suction filters or direct sunlight), or psychological triggers like boredom, insecurity, or misplaced aggression.

If it's tail biting, he may need some company. Sometimes fish feel safer in smaller or bigger tanks as well. Bettas like to explore and patrole territory, sometimes a change of scenery is all they need. If you don't have a decoration that is the same colour as your fish, I would suggest getting one. If the problem is insecurity or lack of hiding space, a like-coloured plant will give your fish something to camouflage himself in.

You know your fish best though, and these are just suggestions. Definitely use your judgement in treating him.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:55 PM   #17 
Demysta

It did start out with tail biting, actually. He had bit his tail, and it had gotten infected, which is where the fin rot began in the first place. No tearing or snagging on anything as far as I can tell; I check all of the decorations and plants before placing them in his tank. I got my hands on Stress Coat AT LAST and will definitely give it a try to see if it can help him out. Still no word from the seller on my order of Kanaplex *sigh*
My question right now is: the tank water is already treated with Prime, but would it be safe for me to do a partial water change and add the Stress Guard to it? Or would I need to do a 100% change and add it in with new water?
Old 03-05-2013, 11:27 PM   #18 
Kanra Chan

Oooh, this is NOT my area of specialty, I only have bettafix and tetra fungusguard on hand, and they have always worked for me.
If possible, can you list the ingredients of each?
I have an owners manual given to me by my vet (Bettas by Robert J. Goldstein, Ph.D), and it gets VERY technical and specific as far as what ingredients are used for which sicknesses. Although it would be information out of a book and not from experience, it may be able to help you.