betta fish

Old 02-21-2013, 02:15 PM   #71 
NapoleonUWS

great looking tank!
Congrats!
NapoleonUWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 12:07 AM   #72 
PaulO

Well it's been a while and I will post some pics as soon as I can but first I need to ask you guys for advice. 1/2 of my wood (smaller) pieces were boiled directly for 3 days but the other half was so large I could only soak it outside in cold water. Anyway I really am regretting not boiling it longer a I now have massive issues with tannins. I have been constantly filtering with carbon (changed every 2 weeks) and it has done little to the water as a matter of fact the tank looks darker than ever.

As a result the aesthetics of the tank are ruined, I have to edit to make insides of the tank visible, and I am wasting money on carbon. I am sure the fish enjoy it but unfortunately I do not. Now here is where I need help, Purigen. I have been looking at it as a alternative to carbon but am worried about the effects on an npt.

So have any of you used purigen or what else can I do to combat the tannins. Also if I were to use it would it affect my fert. dosing in any manner. Thank you

-Paul
PaulO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 05:02 AM   #73 
Kwomais

I thought the only way to battle tannins was water changes...?
Kwomais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 01:12 AM   #74 
Kithy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwomais View Post
I thought the only way to battle tannins was water changes...?
I think you're right although I'm not sure.

It's probably easier and cheaper to just step up partial water changes until the tanins aren't so dark. I ended up soaking my mopani for about 12 hours but I changed the hot water out every 30-40 minutes until the water was just brownish enough that I liked it.
Kithy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 02:47 AM   #75 
PaulO

Update:
-Did 2 water changes and water is about 1/2 visible anymore would be pointless.

-LFS was selling what I believe is African water fern naturally I got it (cost me 5 bucks)

Pics:

Also before I forget out of all the "fauna in the tank" (oto's amano's, tetras, ram, corys) The most aggressive are the corydoras. Apparently when it is feeding time they all flock in a bunch and don't let anyone else eat without difficulty. Also I have taken to calling one particular cory "Gigantor" pics next week will explain why.
Old 03-07-2013, 06:04 PM   #76 
ashleigheperry

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulO View Post
Yeah cory's are really unique, it's one on the reasons why they are probably my favorite fish oh and also videos like this fuel my addiction http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWIVCdLOImw. Also an update I got a fluorescent fixture which can hold two bulbs, there is so little room on my tank that the only led's I can possibly put on will probably be the Current USA pros or some other ultra thin led's. If anyone can help me out I was wondering how many water changes should I be doing for the neons in quarantine? There's six of them in a 2.5 gallon luckily it should only be for 2-3 weeks.
Cories are probably my favorite fish other than bettas. They are hilarious, adorable, hardy, and adorable. Did I mention they're adorable? My school of albinos is one of my favorite parts of my tank.
ashleigheperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 02:20 PM   #77 
PaulO

Update

-Added another golden ram (observing to see if they become too hostile but they should be different genders so I guess I'll see.)

-Added 3 cherry shrimp (2 females 1 male,) and 2 more amanos for a total of 5.

-Really starting to regret not doing soil...I have even been considering tearing down the tank in summer and redoing it with soil so I can put more stem plants in the soil.

-also considering taking out "the cave" and doing a patch of anacharis to get a sort of "corn field effect so that the fish can hide in there as well.

-Fuzzy stuff on wood so I am hoping the shrimp and snails I added will take care of it.

-Also had some unknown species lay eggs.

-Java fern has been propagating like crazy almost each plant has a baby growing on it and I have several in a 5 gallon.
-Pictures:

Meet gigantor \/

I have a few questions (as always) 1. out of all my cories there is one big one (called Gigantor) and always seems to have a swollen ... "abdomen" is that normal?

2. Are golden rams normally super shy? The one I have is hesitant to eat with the cories if they bump him around a bit or if someone approaches the tank he swims away to hide under all the wood.

3. Is there anything I can do else to the fuzz? I know boiling it would help but there is just no way I can get that wood in a pot and if I were to I might as well tear the tank down and re do it with soil in the process. I have some mts I introduced.

4.(not a question) Thanks for reading this obnoxiously long post and dealing with the mass of photos posted.

-Paul

Last edited by PaulO; 03-22-2013 at 02:23 PM.