betta fish

Old 03-06-2013, 01:10 AM   #1 
Ophelia

Betta with cotton mouth?

Housing
What size is your tank? 10 gallon
What temperature is your tank? 80 degrees
Does your tank have a filter? yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? Not that I know of.
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? we recently got about a dozen neon tetras - about 4 days ago that my sister decided to give my son for his bday. :/

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? pellet with occasional frozen brine shrimp
How often do you feed your betta fish? once daily

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? have not done full water changes in tank, just about 15-25% weekly
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? see above
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? betta clear

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? no - but now I sure am wishing I had
If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? all of a sudden today I noticed him hanging out in the bottom front corner of tank & having a greyish ring around mouth. I know he was fine in the morning when I fed him. The ring got more pronounced in the following few hours & is more whitish & he is letting off some mucous from his mouth. :/ It looks like thin wisps in the water.

How has your betta fish's behavior changed? He is lethargic & when he goes to breath it looks like he snaps the top of the water

When did you start noticing the symptoms? At this point about 8 hours ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Yes - with separation & an antifungal. I put him in shallow water too as he seems to want to rest with his mouth at the surface, so to make it easier for him to do so, I have less water in there (about 3 inches deep - enough that he can swim if he wants, but he can also prop himself on his bottom fin easily). If he perks up I will add more, but it seems like he is more comfortable in less water ATM.

Does your fish have any history of being ill? He was pretty sad looking when we bought him. My 5 yr old talked me into buying him because he was in about an inch of water at the grocery store & he said if we didn't buy him, he was going to die......so I am a softy & thought he was probably right. So we bought a small bowl & preliminary supplies that night & he lived in the small bowl until the big tank was set up. He has never really acted "sick" before, just bored & as soon as he was in mor espace he was zippy.

How old is your fish (approximately)? I have no idea. We've had him about 2 months.

Additional concerns - he seems to have two very small white patches/bumps on his side that sort of sound like maybe Ick? But that isn't what he started with & the tetras seem totally fine (although I am treating the larger tank too, as I have no idea what else to do for tonight). I also got a flashlight out to take a look at him (name is Bowie) in the small unlit bowl he is quarantined in & now I am wondering if his overall gold flecking is okay or if that is velvet & if so, how can I tell the difference. He is predominantly red & blue, but has a goldish shimmer all over & I feel like an idiot if that shimmer was an illness & I didn't recognize. :/ I also have some issue that my water seems to want to go slightly cloudy & we haven't been able to figure out why. It isn't severely cloudy or discolored (such as a tinge of yellow or green or anything), just *slightly* foggy looking. It is so slight sometimes I am not sure if it is foggy, or just the way the light is hitting it.

Thank you for ANY help. I can't even seem to go to bed because I just wish there was something better I could be doing for him & I keep getting up to check on him. I do have on hand the treatment for Ick as well as BettaFix which is for bacteria, but am not currently using either of those as I went with a fungal treatment called Fungus Guard which is copper sulfate & potassium dichromate. I would have bought out the store if I knew what to buy, but my car is in the shop right now (of course) and Dh worked late, so by the time I could get out to get something it was late & all I could do was hit a big box retailer & find what I could find.
Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 02:08 AM   #2 
Ophelia

Oh goodness. I was already too late when posting. I just went to check on him again & he was no longer moving. :( I am so dreading telling my son tomorrow.

Thank you anyway. If you still have input I sure would appreciate it as I do not wish to hurt the tetras we have left. :(
Old 03-06-2013, 02:58 AM   #3 
ZombieKeepr

Very sorry to hear about the betta. *hugs* Cotton mouth could actually be columnaris which kills VERY quickly. Being in an inch of water and generally in poor conditions, that's a GREAT possibility. It spreads VERY quickly, but you never know how fish are going to react & live. Hopefully your tetras will be fine. Just try to keep up with weekly WCs at about 30-50% for that many in a 10.
ZombieKeepr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 03:20 AM   #4 
Ophelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieKeepr View Post
Very sorry to hear about the betta. *hugs* Cotton mouth could actually be columnaris which kills VERY quickly. Being in an inch of water and generally in poor conditions, that's a GREAT possibility. It spreads VERY quickly, but you never know how fish are going to react & live. Hopefully your tetras will be fine. Just try to keep up with weekly WCs at about 30-50% for that many in a 10.
Thanks. I keep telling myself I am so sad because I dread telling my son, but I think I am awfully sad in general about it because I really liked the fish much more than I thought I would. I was wondering about columnaris since I wasn't clear if they (cotton mouth & columnaris) were similar OR the same illness. I am certain though he was fine in appearance & attitude just a few hours before he seemed quite poorly to me. I am stunned by how quickly he went downhill & then to be dead within less than 12 hrs of symptoms is stunning t me. I guess I just thought I'd have more time to respond & figure out how to help him. :(
Old 03-06-2013, 08:05 PM   #5 
callistra

I'm sorry for your loss :(

You have too many fish in a 10g. You should get rid of half your tetras or upgrade to 20g.

Also this thread may help on cycling: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=47838 I'm guessing your tank is going through this. But also because you added the meds it will hurt your cycle.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:08 PM   #6 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

That's to bad. It was probably columnaris from the tetras that you introduced without quarantining.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:31 PM   #7 
Snoeflayke

I'm so sorry to hear that he passed.

You could try telling your son that you made your betta very happy while you had him, and he lived much longer than he would have otherwise...
Snoeflayke is offline   Reply With Quote