Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-06-2013, 05:09 AM   #16821 
Bombalurina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirleythebetta View Post

1st: They stated that the bible says we shouldn't take care of ourselves before we take care of others. How are we going to help other people if we are living in a box?
Pretty sure that when I was in year 7 we actually had a class on a verse that said the opposite...wish I could remember what it was. But it was something along the lines of, you cannot help the hungry if you are starving yourself.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 05:54 AM   #16822 
Shirleythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombalurina View Post
Pretty sure that when I was in year 7 we actually had a class on a verse that said the opposite...wish I could remember what it was. But it was something along the lines of, you cannot help the hungry if you are starving yourself.
THANK YOU! I couldn't understand why we would have a lesson on something so stupid. Why would God want you to starve to death to feed others? That doesn't make sense of a kind and loving God.
Shirleythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:19 AM   #16823 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Haha we always said clean your own backyard before looking into your neighbor's.
The Bible wants people to live simply, I don't know a single person who does (except maybe that guy I saw on TV that gets all his meat from roadkill).
The Bible has a lot of good lessons, but it's all up to how you interpret it, which is what makes is so dangerous in the hands of a fool.
The thing that gets me is that most Christian religion isn't ready to change in our modern times. I mean even the Dalai Lama said, hey, if the Buddha said something and it is proven wrong by modern science, then it is wrong and we will adapt to the change. Something like that. Very agreeable guy he is, I'd say.. :p
Posted via Mobile Device
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:28 AM   #16824 
Freyja
Banned

As to number two, may be offensive but it is true. I'm tired of having to wake up at 5 in the morning to go bust my hump for 8 hrs so I can send my daughter to private school because public education sucks and have my taxes used to pay for the schooling of another kid whose parents don't give a damn. I'm tired of seeing how these people are proud of living in the projects, have no work ethic, and make fun of the people, like me, who complain about the inequity of it all. Why should I have to work and have my money taken from me to give to someone who can't be bothered to lift a finger, who has a sense of entitlement and believes he is owed that? Newsflash hole from where feces comes out of, if it weren't for good, hard-working, honest people like me you would be starving in living in a cardboard box. Sorry but I do not want to be my brother's keeper. I am a rationally selfish creature and believe that I should get to keep what I work for.
Freyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:39 AM   #16825 
Sparrowhawk

As a person living on taxpayer money (full-time carer for my elderly grandmother) I'm extremely thankful for systems like this, and for those who work and fund people like me, trying to help their families when they need it. My only criticism of this system (the one in Australia) is the unemployment benefit, and how long people can get away with doing nothing and having no intention of getting into the workforce. I guess another criticism would be under-funding students. After my mum passed away and I was studying, my grandma and I often had to choose between bills and food. Why not push people able to work to get back to it, and fund those who really need it -- students, aged pensioners, people living with disabilities who are unable to work...? I still can't wait to be able to work and give back to the system that's saved my grandma an awful lot of grief (she's a very private person).
Sparrowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 03:31 PM   #16826 
Bombalurina

The Australian welfare system is ridiculous. An unemployed person can get more from Centrelink than they could if they got a minimum-wage job, which is mostly what they are qualified for, so why work? And then students barely get enough to cover living expenses, certainly nothing to offset HECS or anything...unless of course they are Aboriginal. I have no problem with giving out an Indigenous supplement, but it isn't needs based. Indigenous students with nothing can claim it, which is great, but my Aboriginal friend could claim it, even though he makes about 5 times what I do in a year.

Rant: I do not know whether I have a class or not today because my lecturer is terrible at making things clear.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 04:35 PM   #16827 
Shirleythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
Haha we always said clean your own backyard before looking into your neighbor's.
The Bible wants people to live simply, I don't know a single person who does (except maybe that guy I saw on TV that gets all his meat from roadkill).
The Bible has a lot of good lessons, but it's all up to how you interpret it, which is what makes is so dangerous in the hands of a fool.
The thing that gets me is that most Christian religion isn't ready to change in our modern times. I mean even the Dalai Lama said, hey, if the Buddha said something and it is proven wrong by modern science, then it is wrong and we will adapt to the change. Something like that. Very agreeable guy he is, I'd say.. :p
Posted via Mobile Device
Even as a religious person. I agree with you. The bible was wrote over four thousand years ago and has been reinterpreted more times than we can count. When I read it I learn lesson but if something doesn't make sense I miff on. Such as the portion were Jesus says if a man divorces his h
Wife they must live alone for the rest of their lives. Also, even if the woman didn't want the divorce she would be and adultress for starting over. These are things people would have believed back then. Times change. It doesn't make sense we would have to live the exact same way they did thousands of years ago.

New rant-been sleeping way to much. Pms is coming, I have a bad toothache and I'm getting a cold.
Old 03-06-2013, 04:42 PM   #16828 
Shirleythebetta

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freyja View Post
As to number two, may be offensive but it is true. I'm tired of having to wake up at 5 in the morning to go bust my hump for 8 hrs so I can send my daughter to private school because public education sucks and have my taxes used to pay for the schooling of another kid whose parents don't give a damn. I'm tired of seeing how these people are proud of living in the projects, have no work ethic, and make fun of the people, like me, who complain about the inequity of it all. Why should I have to work and have my money taken from me to give to someone who can't be bothered to lift a finger, who has a sense of entitlement and believes he is owed that? Newsflash hole from where feces comes out of, if it weren't for good, hard-working, honest people like me you would be starving in living in a cardboard box. Sorry but I do not want to be my brother's keeper. I am a rationally selfish creature and believe that I should get to keep what I work for.
I think what offended me the most was it implying that all Americans are lazy and don't want to work. I agree the welfare system caters mostly to mothers with multiple children a d multiple dads. I know girls who had kids so they could get free food and support. But that isn't the only problem
Program. Disability is ridiculous in this country. A girl in her twenties with depression can get disability but an eighty year old war vet needs a lawyer to help him.

I was offended by them basically stating only America has issues
Like this. Many countries could use reform. I don't appreciate an American university implying we are all lazy trash who want free money.
Old 03-06-2013, 04:48 PM   #16829 
Shirleythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombalurina View Post
The Australian welfare system is ridiculous. An unemployed person can get more from Centrelink than they could if they got a minimum-wage job, which is mostly what they are qualified for, so why work? And then students barely get enough to cover living expenses, certainly nothing to offset HECS or anything...unless of course they are Aboriginal. I have no problem with giving out an Indigenous supplement, but it isn't needs based. Indigenous students with nothing can claim it, which is great, but my Aboriginal friend could claim it, even though he makes about 5 times what I do in a year.

Rant: I do not know whether I have a class or not today because my lecturer is terrible at making things clear.
Our native americans can go to school for free and still receive a fat check. I could have went to school for free because I am just part native American. I chose not to because I don't believe in that kind of thing. I believe this is part of the reason racism still exists. The acknowledgement that we are different and deserve different treatment. One native guy got a million and instead of going to school he used it up buying crap and partying.
Old 03-06-2013, 04:55 PM   #16830 
FishyFishy89

hmph
Why must people be rude, insulting and ignorant?
*sigh*
FishyFishy89 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bettathanyou