Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-06-2013, 10:20 AM   #1 
SilverWolf

Is a sponge cover on filter kosher?

Just wondering if it is ok to have a sponge cover on the filter intake in a NPT? Once it's on, it stays on...
Attached Images

SilverWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 10:25 AM   #2 
tekkguy

Yes - especially if you have shrimp, snails, etc.
tekkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 10:30 AM   #3 
SilverWolf

Ok, perfect! Thanks.. :) I've always done this, but it's been over 15 years since I've had a tank so I wanted to make sure it was ok.
Old 03-06-2013, 10:30 AM   #4 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverWolf View Post
Just wondering if it is ok to have a sponge cover on the filter intake in a NPT? Once it's on, it stays on...
I use them to keep tiny shrimp from being sucked up, but still find a few inside the filter when cleaning them.(super tiny babie's)
These prefilter 's can become dirty fairly quickly depending on fish load , soil tank's,and I clean them or replace dirty one with clean one,once a week.
In my tank's,,when these become too dirty,,then the water clarity I desire suffer's.
1077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 10:39 AM   #5 
SilverWolf

I've always left mine on? There is no cartridge in the filter, just a biowheel (which I've never had before). Right now there is only Fang in there, so minimal bioload.

Speaking of bioload and only having Fang, how soon should I add tankmates for the tank to run well? I'm assuming he alone isn't enough to create enough byproducts for the tank to settle and the plants to eat. Should I be feeding the plants too? Suggestions for food? (I'm in Canada, so I may not be able to get some things)
Old 03-06-2013, 11:33 AM   #6 
tekkguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverWolf View Post
I've always left mine on? There is no cartridge in the filter, just a biowheel (which I've never had before). Right now there is only Fang in there, so minimal bioload.

Speaking of bioload and only having Fang, how soon should I add tankmates for the tank to run well? I'm assuming he alone isn't enough to create enough byproducts for the tank to settle and the plants to eat. Should I be feeding the plants too? Suggestions for food? (I'm in Canada, so I may not be able to get some things)
I've never changed my prefilter sponge unless it is just falling apart. All it really needs is a good squeeze in tank water every once in a while to clean out the mulm so the flow is still good through the sponge.

I wouldn't add anything to your tank right now. Let it settle down. The soil will leach enough ammonia to start the cycle, and if you are planted heavily the plants will gobble up some of that anyway. Once your water settles down and your cycle is good, you can start thinking about adding tank mates, ferts, etc. I have a tank I never fertilize, and a couple that I rarely fertilize ... it depends on a lot of factors that you won't know until your tank settles down.
tekkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 11:50 AM   #7 
Silverfang

I use one of those on the shrimp tank. My critters feed on it.

Have to squeeze and swish it every week or two to keep the water flowing properly. It can get FILTHY
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 12:01 PM   #8 
JayPe3

You can take them off? It just slides on and off with the hole you cut in it.
I plan on taking mine right off, rinsing it out, squeezing it, ect, then putting it back on.
JayPe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 12:09 PM   #9 
SilverWolf

Beyond taking it off and rinsing it in separate tank water, I don't take it off unless it is falling apart like tekkguy said.