Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-06-2013, 11:59 AM   #661 
Granberry

And you are failing to recognize the giant fact that of all the fatal dog attacks in the US, 88% of them are by pit bulls which represent only 5% of the dog population.

The "why does it happen" (fighting or whatever) doesn't matter to me nearly as much as the "how can we easiest stop it". If requiring certain things of people who own pit bulls doesn't stop fatal attacks, but reduces them by 88%, I'd still consider it a great idea.

Again, I've said my piece. I don't understand people who don't want to do whatever it takes to stop the tiny and the elderly from being injured/mauled/eaten alive by a particularly nasty breed of dogs but insist on defending the dogs. I never will have anything in common with them, and that's why it's just easiest to legislate around them.

Last edited by Granberry; 03-06-2013 at 12:05 PM.
Granberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 12:37 PM   #662 
SnowySurface

I do not know what tone you used to read my previous, but I can assure you of one thing. If I was walking down the street and saw a pitt chewing on a baby, I would kill the pitt to save the baby. However, I wouldn't kill a pitt in California because a pit in New York chewed on a baby.

I am not saying protect every single solitary pitt on the planet and let the babies die. I'm saying kill the 23 pitts that ate babies and leave the other 3.91 million pitts that are good dogs alone. If you can't see that, then we will just have to agree to disagree. : /
SnowySurface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 12:57 PM   #663 
FishyFishy89

If you're going to state things like their facts, you better get them 100% correct
2012 U.S. Dog Bite Fatalities - Dog Bite Statistics - DogsBite.org
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...WU&cad=rja(not sure if this one is gonna work, it was a PDF download)
http://www.sinklaw.com/dog-bite-statistics-2012/

And FYI you simply cannot compare owning a dog to owning a lion. A lion is a WILD ANIMAL. A dog is an animal that has been domesticated for thousands of years.
FishyFishy89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 02:44 PM   #664 
Granberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishyFishy89 View Post
If you're going to state things like their facts, you better get them 100% correct
2012 U.S. Dog Bite Fatalities - Dog Bite Statistics - DogsBite.org
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...WU&cad=rja(not sure if this one is gonna work, it was a PDF download)
http://www.sinklaw.com/dog-bite-statistics-2012/

And FYI you simply cannot compare owning a dog to owning a lion. A lion is a WILD ANIMAL. A dog is an animal that has been domesticated for thousands of years.
The things I stated as facts came from the site you posted. Mine was simply a cut and paste of your site, actually, so I'm pretty sure they must match. :)

I am pretty sure the lion lovers would argue that their precious ions are as domesticated as pit bulls. We would say they should be banned or muzzled in public, and the lion lovers would scream that's BS, that Wildebeests bill people too...

@Snowy's quote "I'm saying kill the 23 pitts that ate babies and leave the other 3.91 million pitts that are good dogs alone. If you can't see that, then we will just have to agree to disagree. : /"

The problem isn't dealing with the 23 deaths we already have; it's how to prevent any deaths in the future, and if I can prevent 88% of them by creating laws for the 3.91 pits that haven't hurt anyone yet, (either for protective enclosures, muzzling, etc. or outright banning), then that's what my heart and my brain say should be done. But I am sorry if my tone was a little snarky...I agree that agreeing to disagree is a valid option. :)
Old 03-06-2013, 02:52 PM   #665 
FishyFishy89

Actually your so called "facts" was not exactly from the sites I posted. The percentage was 61% NOT 88%. Like I said, if you're going to state things like facts, make sure their 100% correct.

And your views are overly extreme. Lions aren't even on the same playing field as dogs. Lions have NOT been domesticated for thousands of years, they haven't even been domesticated!!! Nor have their genetics and breeding been compromised by humans. The only time they're bred in captivity, it is to replenish what is illegally hunted.

I'm done with you, you refuse to learn AT ALL.
FishyFishy89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 03:21 PM   #666 
Granberry

I see where the confusion is, and yes, I did misquote. It is 61%. The 88% was in the California region. My bad. I still mean everything I said...61% is good enough for me.
Old 03-06-2013, 03:46 PM   #667 
registereduser

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishyFishy89 View Post

And your views are overly extreme.
eh, you're both a little crazed IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freyja View Post
+1000000 To the level-headed LBF.
ditto
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 12:18 AM   #668 
dramaqueen
Banned

I think I would be more inclined to listen to people who have actually owned the breed and are familiar with them than some article I read on the internet.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 12:58 AM   #669 
trilobite

Haha this thread revived itself again...

Yes there have been many pit bull bites, yes many have been because of bad breeding and bad homes (usually a combo of the 2). It is the pit bull people breeding these dogs and it is the pit bull people placing them in these homes. Fix that first.

The pit bull lovers are looking for someone to blame, the media is looking for someone to blame and the public is looking for someone to blame.
trilobite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 12:13 PM   #670 
kevinbacon

Want to know what (statistically speaking) is the most temperamental breed of dog? The dachshund. They bite more people every year than any other breed of dog. You know why you never see it in the news? Because they're tiny, and really can't do a ton of damage. News casters know that stories like dog bite stories do faaaar better when they are able to evoke fear in the reader. Dachshunds aren't scary.... But you know what breed is?

Not Golden retrievers, America's family pet, who ranks rather high on the list of most dog attack instances in the US. No, think scarier: Pit Bulls.

If people would just stop being stupid and look at the statistics and the temperament of individual dogs instead of being - lets face it, RACIST - and judging an entire breed of dogs by the actions of few based on information obtained from biased sources then maybe they would realize that these dogs are fantastic, loving family pets.

They were once called the Nanny dog for a reason - they're very gentle and great with kids. Dogs, no matter the breed, are what you raise them to be. You mistreat them, abuse and neglect them, don't socialize them... you're going to get a vicious dog, whether its a pit or a chihuahua.
kevinbacon is offline   Reply With Quote