Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-06-2013, 04:06 AM   #501 
copperarabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5150wicd4fish View Post
I just lost my gold gourami, after a 50% water change, he was doing good swimming around me while I cleaned..:(....this just sucks..:(
I'm sorry he died :(
Two spot gourami's are kind of mean, I think they do much better when only one is kept in a aquarium. A friend of mine loves gourami's and keeps three in her 65g aquarium. They always seem stressed out. If you got one male with females it would be better, but female gourami's are extremely hard to find. Few pet stores carry them because supplies don't want people breeding them.

I've had my two spot gourami(named Loki) for nearly 3 years, he is showing signs of age but is still chugging along. Because gourami's live in similar environments to bettas they do well with a lot of plants. When I first got Loki he lived with my king betta in my 17g stuffed full of plants, then I moved my king and turned it into a sorority and put even more plants into it. I paid attention to the surface by leaving amazon swords and other plants floating so they wouldn't be stressed out when they gulped air. He now lives in a pretty open aquarium, but has good hiding spots if he feels insecure.

This is what my current set up looks like, you can see Loki in the bottom left. I am lacking in middle cover for him and need to add more plants. Most of my plants didn't do well in my 48g because the lighting is too low. My anubias on the other hand love it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigo Betta View Post
copperarabiani like the video its well edited very nice fish too:)

i got most of my tropical fish from a friend who didn't want them anymore
i don't have anyone who would want them nor do i have a LFS i would trust with them so i'll be keeping them but just in case i find someone who would take them how many would be the right number for me to keep in a 16 gallon tank?
also for now what plants would you recommend? and how do you overfilter your tank?
I think it depends on the set up. A cleverly decorated aquarium could keep more fish than a barren or badly decorated aquarium. It's also up to you to watch your fish and see how they act. Do they seem stressed out? Nippy or fighting? Often schooling fish will bicker with one another which is ok if it is only moderate. They do this to establish a pecking order. As long as your fish are thriving, and you use your common since on how they act as well as keep up with water changes it should be fine.

Plants are a bit of work, and it's hard to specifically recommend a plant for your aquarium because I don't know your lighting. I used a zoo med compact florescent in my 17g combined with root tabs and my plants thrived.

Plants I would recommend from my experience would be most stem plants including anacharis and water wisteria, the floating plant duckweed that grows so fast you'll often throw it out, and the red tiger lotus. My tiger lotus constantly grew and and gave my aquarium a stunning over grown look. It needs a good light though.

Over filtering is when you use a filter(s) that is meant for a larger aquarium. For my 48g I use a 70g fluval canister filter. I only used a 20g internal filter in my 17g but I also did 40%-50% water changes weekly and had a ton of live plants which also filtered the water.
copperarabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 05:47 AM   #502 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

One of my first fish was an opaline, lived 10 years before he got sick and died.. Then I got bored of fish cause he was gone. xD
Posted via Mobile Device
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:45 AM   #503 
5150wicd4fish

@ copperarabian...Thank you for your reply...yeah I was bummed bad yesterday..I called Petsmart and asked if they have issues with their gouramis, and she said no, that when I bought them, it was same day they were shipped from Nevada, so the move could of been stress related, humm they even suggested not to purchase on that day?? weird.
anyway..I have two "honey gold gouramis, not spotted type, 8 weeks old bought from another local store, and so far so good.
I am concerned about with tiger barbs, and idk, I really don't want to sell those too, as I just sold rosey barbs, grn barbs...I'm going to have a empty tank, :(.... Do you have any honey gouramis? these are small, swim around bottom and mid level, stay hidden in plants and rockwork.. hope thse guys make it :D
5150wicd4fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 03:46 PM   #504 
Indigo Betta

copperarabian thanks for the information:)
Indigo Betta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:44 PM   #505 
copperarabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5150wicd4fish View Post
@ copperarabian...Thank you for your reply...yeah I was bummed bad yesterday..I called Petsmart and asked if they have issues with their gouramis, and she said no, that when I bought them, it was same day they were shipped from Nevada, so the move could of been stress related, humm they even suggested not to purchase on that day?? weird.
anyway..I have two "honey gold gouramis, not spotted type, 8 weeks old bought from another local store, and so far so good.
I am concerned about with tiger barbs, and idk, I really don't want to sell those too, as I just sold rosey barbs, grn barbs...I'm going to have a empty tank, :(.... Do you have any honey gouramis? these are small, swim around bottom and mid level, stay hidden in plants and rockwork.. hope thse guys make it :D
I don't have honey gourami's but I do like them and recommend them to people. They are less aggressive than the two spot and people are more successful at keeping multiple fish together.

Barbs are really nippy, but it may end up working out. Try giving the gourami's really good hiding places with fake(avoid plastic) or live plants. The barbs should stay in the open area of the tank unless they are scared by something. After that just watch and observe.

I once had a beautiful odessa barb someone gave me, I was going to buy a school but he was sooooo aggressive I could not stand the idea of getting more. He would grab my red eye tetras by the base of the tail and shake them. As soon as I saw that he went into a very small section of my 10g and I gave him to someone else. I felt like I had a mini piranha lol
copperarabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:32 PM   #506 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Mmm, it's pretty common for a fish lacking a school to lash out due to insecurity, buying a school could have likely solved the problem. Odessa's are considered very peaceful.
Old 03-08-2013, 10:02 PM   #507 
5150wicd4fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by copperarabian View Post
I don't have honey gourami's but I do like them and recommend them to people. They are less aggressive than the two spot and people are more successful at keeping multiple fish together.

Barbs are really nippy, but it may end up working out. Try giving the gourami's really good hiding places with fake(avoid plastic) or live plants. The barbs should stay in the open area of the tank unless they are scared by something. After that just watch and observe.

I once had a beautiful odessa barb someone gave me, I was going to buy a school but he was sooooo aggressive I could not stand the idea of getting more. He would grab my red eye tetras by the base of the tail and shake them. As soon as I saw that he went into a very small section of my 10g and I gave him to someone else. I felt like I had a mini piranha lol
So far the gouramis are doing okay, put I lost 2 rainbow fish, I figure with my previous tiger barbs, they are pretty active, and in fact the local fish store says my guys are really big and fisty..I guess the stress got to my rainbows, I have 2 left.. all my parameters are fine, and I test every other day...today I noticed one rainbow had a spot on its head, and I immediately set him in quarantine, but he didn't make it..
I have learned my lesson the hard way and will never again put any fish in my tank without quarantine first... this has been a difficult week..:( Do you know anything about melafix? I've never had a diseases in past so this is new to me, and I treated the 60 gal, removed carbon, do I still treat the whole tank for 6 additional days? I only see a spot on body of one of my rainbow but thinking I have to treat the whole tank that he is in..
tank has 2 rainbow, 3 head/tail light tetras, 3 honey qourami, 2 BNP.
Old 03-08-2013, 10:39 PM   #508 
5150wicd4fish

picture of sick rainbow..sorry for photo.. see that faded spot on body?? Looks like its going to start by his head also..maybe this is wrong place to put this post...but I need help...always have trouble posting pictures too..
Attached Images

Old 03-09-2013, 07:13 AM   #509 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

They grey usually means necrosis, but I'm not sure what would cause it..
Old 03-09-2013, 10:01 AM   #510 
5150wicd4fish

I believe your right...I sent a email to OFL....idk what else to do besides 50% water change and dose..
this morning lost 3 more.. :( this is just the pits...never happened to me before..