Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-03-2013, 05:15 PM   #11 
LittleBlueFishlets

I have three tanks that are between 2.7 to 3 gallons in size. I don't use a filter, or bother trying to cycle. I just do one 100% and one 50% water change each week. My guys don't seem to mind the water changes.

If your fish seems to get stressed when you put him in a cup, try using one that's not transparent. Sometimes, they do better when they can't see the 'outside world.'
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 05:32 PM   #12 
copperarabian

I did 100% water changes for my filtered 2.5g once a week.
copperarabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 12:40 AM   #13 
Tikibirds

Assuming the tank does manage to cycle, the bacteria you are trying to grow will be in the filter media and on decor/tank walls not in the water itself. Some people on another betta site swear that their 1G can anda does hold a stable cycle and others say its not really likely as by the time ther eis enough ammonia in the tank for the bacteria to consume (or whatever it is they do with it), the ammonia level is too high for the fish. Personally I don't bother but if you already have it and its a sponge filter, it will still do some mechanical filtration even if it can't do biological filtration.

What type of lighting does the tank have? Certain types of plants can do a silent cycle...
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:21 PM   #14 
Lotte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikibirds View Post
Assuming the tank does manage to cycle, the bacteria you are trying to grow will be in the filter media and on decor/tank walls not in the water itself. Some people on another betta site swear that their 1G can anda does hold a stable cycle and others say its not really likely as by the time ther eis enough ammonia in the tank for the bacteria to consume (or whatever it is they do with it), the ammonia level is too high for the fish. Personally I don't bother but if you already have it and its a sponge filter, it will still do some mechanical filtration even if it can't do biological filtration.

What type of lighting does the tank have? Certain types of plants can do a silent cycle...
Does my tank need lighting? If so are there any you reccomend from petco or petsmart for my 2.5g tank?
Lotte is offline   Reply With Quote