Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-05-2013, 10:51 PM   #71 
chardzard

yes n wat i have notice too is the male tempper cool down a bit too they tend to dance more with less biteing
chardzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 10:54 AM   #72 
soady

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by chardzard View Post
1 thing i can add is too much hideing space can be bad too wat i tend to do is after 3 days n the female is still hideing i will remove her n the male then set them back up why i do this ? most males as we know have they own was of doing things but wat i finds that works well is a 12 once plastic drinking glass fill it with water , place in in the spawning tank now the water in the tank should be a lil under the lid of the glass,wat u may find to happen from time to time some female may jump out on her own , u can give my idea a try next time, right now i'll say it is working for me about 95% of the time 16 of 20 spawns is abot that right?
That's a great advice, letting her jump out on her own. Some breeders divide them if nothing happens in only 30 minutes. I will keep a "close" eye on them when I put them together, and make sure that they notice me, so I wouldn't disturb them. I don't like the idea of leaving them together for a few days until they spawn. It would be great if she jumped out, but if that doesn't happen I will put them together for a few hours, and if nothing happens try again tomorrow. Does this seem okay, to introduce them every day until they spawn?
soady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 11:29 AM   #73 
soady

Too late for an edit. I wanted to write: "...and make sure that they don't notice me..."
Old 03-06-2013, 07:26 PM   #74 
BeautifulBetta123
Banned

Fish are different my ct pair that I spawned were conditioned lots and so in the spawn tank breeding was the only thing on their minds they didn't even notice me watching them for hours. I did see them spawn it was cool. Other people have had to cover the whole tank though so that the pair is not distracted.
BeautifulBetta123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:32 PM   #75 
soady

Well, I will be watching from far above, just enough to see what they're up to. I won't be able to see much anyway, since I will be using black plastic containers. I know black is not the best color, but it will have a light above and I will be able to get more of them since they are a lot cheaper than the colored ones here.
Old 03-06-2013, 07:34 PM   #76 
Myates

lol.. the self proclaimed "greatest breeder" said to do the 30 minute thing, correct? It's very rare to get them to breed that quickly.. why most shake their heads at him :P Many, many many virgin pairs can, and often do, take days to a week+ to breed.. they are together during the whole time. As long as they are in breeding mode, the female eggy and they are flirting, they can be together for as long as it takes.

You removing them after 30 minutes you will most likely won't get them to breed.. if anything it would be 1 out of every 100 tries. That guy doesn't just give them 30 minutes.. trust me.. he just claims it so he can say he is the greatest lol.

By disrupting them every day they won't breed.. they won't be able to accomplish their "ritual", the male needs time to get the female submissive, and new girls don't give it up easily.

You can try it, but unless she is VERY eggy, they have bred before.. it won't happen. Quickest it took mine (with an experienced female) was a few hours, longest it took another pair was over a week. I have seen/heard very few take less than an hour, and those tend to be well experienced pairs.

Good luck!
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:37 PM   #77 
Myates

Black will be very hard to deal with.. you can't look under the nest, and seeing fry that are literally the size of pin pricks will be very difficult.. when you siphon out the bottom daily their water and dead food, be very careful as you won't be able to see the fry and at first they won't be moving a whole lot out of your way.

Could also make it difficult for the fry to see the food, especially since you may not be feeding them the wiggly worms.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:41 PM   #78 
BeautifulBetta123
Banned

Mine took two day both times and they spawned at the same time both times at 1:00 pm lol
BeautifulBetta123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:22 PM   #79 
soady

It will be tricky to siphon but I will have good lightning and do it very slowly.

I have no problem with leaving them together for a few days, I just wanna make sure that they are okay and monitor them throughout the process to see if they should be separated. I am not looking for the quickest way to spawn them once they are introduced, I just want them to spawn the best.
Old 03-06-2013, 11:23 PM   #80 
indjo
TFK Moderator

I agree with myates - that they shouldn't be disturbed during the breeding process. If I'm not mistaken, they are mature, right? Sometimes mature pairs will breed within the 24 hour mark, specially ones that has previously released eggs. Just let them see each other for a day the release before dark. If you're not using extra light, they should become inactive after dark but can sense each other. They should spawn the following morning.

I didn't read the whole thread so I don't know what you have decided to do, other than using a black tub. IME as long as it's safe for fish, it will be fine. I too breed in black tubs which I often totally cover during the spawning process (to avoid breeze destroying nest/eggs). Irid colored fry (except for royal blue) will look light colored and will be easy to spot. But red or dark colored fry can be impossible to spot . . . imagine a super black spawn. Lol . . . . And as for gunk, they will be sort of light brownish, so can be spotted. In case they're not, you can siphon water only. This will reduce ammonia build up. I clean my tubs every month, specially if I have a high number (200 or more).
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
breeding, female, hides, stripes, vertical