Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-06-2013, 11:47 PM   #81 
louisvillelady

I always let the female jump out on her own. You have to make sure that the container is big enough that she can swim forward a bit so she can get a "running start" in order to be able to jump. I also make sure that there is about an inch lip above the water line because the male can spook the female and in a startled swim away may accidently jump out.

Now, I will leave the pair together as long as they are still flirting with each other. In the method where you let the female have hiding places, it takes a little longer. I just breed two virgins about a month ago and it took them a week to figure out what they were doing. But this entire time, they were flirting back and forth. And man what a nest the male made.lol

Good luck with this spawn soady. Its a real treat to get to raise your own!
louisvillelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:52 AM   #82 
soady

Quote:
Originally Posted by indjo View Post
I agree with myates - that they shouldn't be disturbed during the breeding process. If I'm not mistaken, they are mature, right? Sometimes mature pairs will breed within the 24 hour mark, specially ones that has previously released eggs. Just let them see each other for a day the release before dark. If you're not using extra light, they should become inactive after dark but can sense each other. They should spawn the following morning.

I didn't read the whole thread so I don't know what you have decided to do, other than using a black tub. IME as long as it's safe for fish, it will be fine. I too breed in black tubs which I often totally cover during the spawning process (to avoid breeze destroying nest/eggs). Irid colored fry (except for royal blue) will look light colored and will be easy to spot. But red or dark colored fry can be impossible to spot . . . imagine a super black spawn. Lol . . . . And as for gunk, they will be sort of light brownish, so can be spotted. In case they're not, you can siphon water only. This will reduce ammonia build up. I clean my tubs every month, specially if I have a high number (200 or more).

Hey, now that you mentioned siphoning only water, I was thinking about putting a couple of larger stones in one place so I could stick my siphon between them and use very low suction power.

I read somewhere that the easiest way to catch a lot of BBS at once is to put the container in darkness and then bring a source of light close to one side, like using a candle or a flashlight. They all round up near the light and you can easily scoop them out. I was wondering, would the fry act the same? If I could get them all close to one another it would be much easier to siphon.

I will be using plastic foil instead of a lid through which I couldn't see anything. It will also allow the light in, and keep the air humid.
soady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:00 AM   #83 
soady

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by louisvillelady View Post
I always let the female jump out on her own. You have to make sure that the container is big enough that she can swim forward a bit so she can get a "running start" in order to be able to jump. I also make sure that there is about an inch lip above the water line because the male can spook the female and in a startled swim away may accidently jump out.

Now, I will leave the pair together as long as they are still flirting with each other. In the method where you let the female have hiding places, it takes a little longer. I just breed two virgins about a month ago and it took them a week to figure out what they were doing. But this entire time, they were flirting back and forth. And man what a nest the male made.lol

Good luck with this spawn soady. Its a real treat to get to raise your own!
Thanks! :)

Yeah, those bubble nests can get crazy big if he stays motivated long enough. :D

If I want to wait for her to jump, how many days should I wait for the jump before I place her there myself, once she is in a jar in the breeding tank? Maybe she just isn't a jumper, that's why I'm asking, even though she sometimes jumps for food when it's feeding time. What I want to know is when can I say: "She is ready but she will not jump." ? :)
Old 03-07-2013, 10:17 AM   #84 
Myates

Quote:
Originally Posted by soady View Post
Hey, now that you mentioned siphoning only water, I was thinking about putting a couple of larger stones in one place so I could stick my siphon between them and use very low suction power.

I read somewhere that the easiest way to catch a lot of BBS at once is to put the container in darkness and then bring a source of light close to one side, like using a candle or a flashlight. They all round up near the light and you can easily scoop them out. I was wondering, would the fry act the same? If I could get them all close to one another it would be much easier to siphon.

I will be using plastic foil instead of a lid through which I couldn't see anything. It will also allow the light in, and keep the air humid.
Easiest way I find siphoning is with an airline hose and a clear straw over one end of it to help guide it easier - as you will need to siphon the bottom of the tank a couple times to remove dead/uneaten food/waste. The straw helps to move it where you want it.

I also keep a finger on the other side of the tubing, in the bucket.. the finger just over where the water flows out so that way if I accidentally suck up a fry I can stop the water flow immediately and let the fry loose.

When siphoning just water (when done with vacuuming the bottom) I siphon at the top in a corner, keep an eye on the fry easier and since ammonia tends to rise (or so I have heard), I will be removing more ammonia.

But being held in place by a couple small rocks could work - you just have to still sit there and watch.. just don't forget to vacuum the bottom regularly as well.

Yes, BBS is attracted to the light - remove the air stone and let them settle for a few minutes - place a flashlight laying sideways on the table/counter/whatever so they all swim to the bottom (the eggs float and you don't want eggs in with the fry, the fry can choke on them).. and I personally use a turkey baster to remove the BBS - I will then either use a shrimp net or a coffee filter (rubber banded over a cup) to deposit the BBS and then I use tank water to rinse them off before using an eye dropper to collect and feed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soady View Post
Thanks! :)

If I want to wait for her to jump, how many days should I wait for the jump before I place her there myself, once she is in a jar in the breeding tank? Maybe she just isn't a jumper, that's why I'm asking, even though she sometimes jumps for food when it's feeding time. What I want to know is when can I say: "She is ready but she will not jump." ? :)
If she is completely eggy and submissive then let her loose.. I wouldn't keep her in the jar for more than two days, but that is my personal opinion. She should be ready to spawn prior to you placing her in there, you are just waiting for the male to become interested and her to become submissive to him.. sometimes the females will need a bit more time to actually do the deed.. especially first time females. But she should still be eggy prior to placing her into the holding jar/breeding tank. After that it could be hours or a day before she is ready to be with him.

Make sure when/if she jumps she is ready - she could jump because she wants to fight him, etc.. so keep an eye on her and her actions.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:51 AM   #85 
soady

I siphon exactly as you described, but I straightened out the end of the tube by fixing it straight with a piece of a wooden "straw". :) There is also a wider tube attached to the other side which I use to suck in the gravel and siphon it thoroughly. I can always use the other side (the thinner one) for more delicate siphoning.

If all the egg shells float, can I just scoop them out?
Old 03-07-2013, 10:58 AM   #86 
soady

I am very proud of my siphon, I have to post a pic of it because I made it myself. :D

Old 03-07-2013, 11:04 AM   #87 
logisticsguy

You should patent that siphon. Very important piece of equipment for a spawn because we have to remove so much water and poops very carefully.
logisticsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:30 AM   #88 
soady

Quote:
Originally Posted by logisticsguy View Post
You should patent that siphon. Very important piece of equipment for a spawn because we have to remove so much water and poops very carefully.
Hahah, thanks! :) I don't think I could patent a couple of tubes put together. xD I will add something to the end of the thinner tube to avoid sucking up fry, and siphon carefully!
Old 03-07-2013, 12:30 PM   #89 
Myates

OFL uses a wooden chopstick just like that too. I use a clear plastic straw as I want a clear view of what I am siphoning up. But since you won't be able to even see your fry, guess it doesn't matter.

You might want to place the bottom of the siphon equal with the wood.. you will want to be able to put the siphon as close to the bottom as possible to help avoid sucking up curious fry.

I would make sure it's the size of the airline tubing.. as even airline tubing sucks up fry very easily.. anything bigger then you are asking for trouble. But that would work for bigger tanks :)
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 12:58 PM   #90 
soady

I just noticed that the wood is badly placed on this picture, it is easy to pull it up and line it with the tube. :) I will put some sort of a baffle with holes just large enough for the debris to flow by. And yes, I'll keep it close to the bottom.

Tags
breeding, female, hides, stripes, vertical