Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-06-2013, 10:56 PM   #11 
callistra

Actually, there's a lot more being water changes than keeping things you can test under control. That's why 25% minimum weekly is suggested.. not just on here but there's lots of literature on it across the web among fish keepers. Doing weekly small water changes, never ever under any circumstances HURTS.. unless you don't know what you're doing and doing add conditioner, add ice cold water instead of proper temp water, drop chems in the tank or something else.. so I have no idea why you think doing weekly small changes is detrimental, but there's no validity to this statement.

The #1 cause of fish illness is bad water quality from lack of water changes, so while you may think my advice on keeping his environment healthy is off topic, it's the best thing you can do for your fish and is never off topic with health is concerned.

And the reason I didn't comment on the lump specifically, is like I said.. your photo is not allowing us to view it well enough to comment.

ETA: Also I missed your stocking.. gouramis and bettas are not compatible.

Last edited by callistra; 03-06-2013 at 11:05 PM.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 11:26 PM   #12 
PrettyFrank

I am quite aware, and I know you mean well. But where do you think this supposed "25% water change per week" sprang from? Nowhere? Someone somewhere had to painstakingly check water parameters to determine what is best for the particular fish. And how do you suppose they did that? Ta-da! By doing extensive water testing. So this information becomes available to the public via the internet, correct? And people don't always know how to interpret stuff they read. On top of that, it's not always true! (I mean, c'mon, everybody knows this.) No, I don't think a small water change would hurt, but it's not always necessary.

I was not upset because you didn't comment on the lump, I was upset that you assumed I don't know what I'm doing regarding the overall care of my tank, as if I'm not capable of such research. I got Opal (the betta) just today. The lump was a pre-existing condition, which is why the water quality is completely irrelevant. But now I'm being a hypocrite, so I'mma shut up.

Anyway, Callistra, sorry if I came off as defensive, but this is just my preferred method, and it's very scientific. Every variable can be tested and measured, we have the technology. It's a fish tank, not astrophysics. I'm aware that you may have been taking care of your fish the same way for years, and if it works for you, great!
PrettyFrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 11:55 PM   #13 
PrettyFrank

Regarding the stocking of my tank, specifically about the gourami: they get along in my tank. The gourami is constantly preoccupied with being adorable and picking food off anywhere it can find it, all while being undisturbed by any of the bettas. My most passive betta sometimes will follow its trail to find extra food, but this is the only interaction between my gourami and bettas. :) I guess I just got lucky! Please do note that it is a dwarf, on top of that a female, so unlikely to be aggressive at all.

Also, I'm not unfamiliar to passive-aggressiveness. Note that, too, sucka. So like, I don't know why you wanna be like that. I care about my tank just as much as you do yours, I'm sure. I think I would know to separate them if my gourami was being nipped to shreds.

Last edited by PrettyFrank; 03-07-2013 at 12:02 AM.
Old 03-07-2013, 12:54 AM   #14 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

The advice given here is relevant to the well being of your fish. Please do not doubt us, we are here to help. 25% is a great amount to change weekly, and will not be detrimental to your fish in any way at all.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 12:58 AM   #15 
cnbufford

...sorry that your Opal may have something. Basic fishcare always instructs the quarentine of a new fish, whether ill or not, that's going to be introduced into any tank community. I would observe her actions and food intake at least a few days in a separate, clean aquarium with clean, heated, chemically balanced water. Since you seem to know so much, you may need to figure the rest out.

Last edited by cnbufford; 03-07-2013 at 01:11 AM.
cnbufford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 01:00 AM   #16 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

I would just like to add that 25% weekly water changes have been tested and proven to maintain water quality. I think that's scientific. Please do not attack our members, especially when they are just trying to help out. Remember that we volunteer our time to help you.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 01:07 AM   #17 
PrettyFrank

There is no scientific basis in doing a 25% water change weekly just because extensive fish hobbyist web "literature" says so. I'm not saying don't do water changes at all. If you REALLY want to have OPTIMAL water quality, do tests first. Like I said, to do a weekly water change like that is like saying nitrates and ammonia levels increase consistently, which they do not. I don't understand what is so wrong about this.

This advice is relevant in the long term, and just because my methods are unconventional doesn't make them wrong.
Old 03-07-2013, 01:16 AM   #18 
Saphira101

We're not saying you're a bad fishkeeper, we're merely suggesting what has worked best for us and thousands of others. I didn't have any success with fish at all until I started doing regular water changes.
Saphira101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 01:23 AM   #19 
tekkguy

I don't think PrettyFrank is attacking anyone, and I don't see anything wrong with water changes being less frequent if you are aware of water parameters. I have tanks I never change water on (gasp!) .... I just top off with R/O. I've been keeping fish for 15 years and I know what works for my tanks and my fish. I'm sure PrettyFrank does too.

All due respect to the members here, but not one of you gave this person the benefit of the doubt as far as experience or knowledge. You complain about people on other forums for saying 2 gallons is too small, yet you talk to someone here with a healthy tank like a child who needs to be chastised?

Anyway, to return to the topic and question at hand, it may be a tumor or it may be something like lymphocitis. I would move her to quarantine right away to avoid possibly infecting other fish. Do a round of salt treatment, and add some tannins to the water if possible .... Indian almond leaves, oak leaves, or even a tea bag in a pinch. Keep the water very clean and warm, and watch for signs of the lump bursting. If it bursts, clean the qt tank completely and immediately so there's no reinfection.

Can you try and get a clearer picture as well?
tekkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 01:26 AM   #20 
Saphira101

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekkguy View Post
All due respect to the members here, but not one of you gave this person the benefit of the doubt as far as experience or knowledge. You complain about people on other forums for saying 2 gallons is too small, yet you talk to someone here with a healthy tank like a child who needs to be chastised?
You're right. I need to work on this. Thanks for reminding me!
Saphira101 is offline   Reply With Quote