Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-07-2013, 02:17 AM   #101 
logisticsguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by soady View Post
Who says Veil Tails aren't awesome?

VTs are awesome but that pic has been edited using "Effects".

My favorite male is my VT Fred who is a stunner. I would not put the amount of time or effort required to properly raise a spawn of his as it would be difficult for me to sell where I live. Everyone makes some good points in this thread. The IBC needs to wake up and class VTs for show. Silly to have a major part of betta history without show status. I think its because the show betta pros dont have any anymore themselves to show so its a no go.
logisticsguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 02:39 AM   #102 
logisticsguy

I tend to pull the male after the fry are free swimming. I don't count on my guy culling the right ones. Yes he may cull deformed but I can do that too and have had very few like that to start with. I have had egg/fry eaters in the past so my opinion may be biased here. Whatever works for the individual breeder.
logisticsguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:08 AM   #103 
soady

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by louisvillelady View Post
Just another small suggestion. Be careful with the heater in the plastic container. It can melt the container and possibly even start a fire. What I do, is fill up a flower vase with water, place that in the container, and place the heater inside the cvase. This will keep the heater off the plastic. :)
I don't think that it can melt the plastic because the heater warms the water and gets cooled by it. I often see my betta's tail touching the heater while it is on with no problems. However, I will make sure that the heater doesn't touch the plastic, and I will use some kind of vase if I can't attach it properly to the round tank. :)
soady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:10 AM   #104 
soady

Quote:
Originally Posted by logisticsguy View Post
VTs are awesome but that pic has been edited using "Effects".

My favorite male is my VT Fred who is a stunner. I would not put the amount of time or effort required to properly raise a spawn of his as it would be difficult for me to sell where I live. Everyone makes some good points in this thread. The IBC needs to wake up and class VTs for show. Silly to have a major part of betta history without show status. I think its because the show betta pros dont have any anymore themselves to show so its a no go.
I realized that this picture is Photoshopped once I zoomed in properly. If other tail types can actually have colors like this, are there no VT bettas like this because the breeders don't breed them for shows?
Old 03-07-2013, 07:08 AM   #105 
indjo
TFK Moderator

As far as I know, even VT come in all sort of colors, including dragons. The demand is for colorful VT so breeders bred new colors into them too. The question is, what is the demand in your country? What colors are popular and sought after. Those colors would be abundant while other less desired colors are not.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:36 AM   #106 
soady

Quote:
Originally Posted by indjo View Post
As far as I know, even VT come in all sort of colors, including dragons. The demand is for colorful VT so breeders bred new colors into them too. The question is, what is the demand in your country? What colors are popular and sought after. Those colors would be abundant while other less desired colors are not.
In my country, we mostly have VTs. The only other fin type I saw in many different stores is CT. They are all very cheap, about $1.5 per betta. Red and blue is the most common. I guess this is because we don't have any professional breeders nearby, and they are not ordering expensive bettas because they wouldn't be able to sell them. So the stores meet demands by selling cheap VTs and CTs, being that only few people would pay $40 for a selectively bred betta.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:04 AM   #107 
louisvillelady

Do a little experiment. While your heater is on, brush your fingers across it. See how you don't feel anything? Now put your fingers against it and leave it there, mimicing the heater laying against the side of a plastic container. Be very aware cause the heat will sneak up on you and burn the crap out of you. While you will see you fish brush up against them and not get burned, you will not see a fish lean up against it while it is on. Even if you manage to get the heater situated where it isn't touching the plastic container, you have to be set up for safety. Anything cn happen and the heater may slip and be touching the contAiner and you may not be home when it happens.

Or don't do anything. Mine is safe, and I have tried to tell you about it, so my mind and conscience are at ease.
louisvillelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:47 AM   #108 
soady

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by louisvillelady View Post
Do a little experiment. While your heater is on, brush your fingers across it. See how you don't feel anything? Now put your fingers against it and leave it there, mimicing the heater laying against the side of a plastic container. Be very aware cause the heat will sneak up on you and burn the crap out of you. While you will see you fish brush up against them and not get burned, you will not see a fish lean up against it while it is on. Even if you manage to get the heater situated where it isn't touching the plastic container, you have to be set up for safety. Anything cn happen and the heater may slip and be touching the contAiner and you may not be home when it happens.

Or don't do anything. Mine is safe, and I have tried to tell you about it, so my mind and conscience are at ease.
I won't let the heater touch the plastic in any way. I know how hot a heater can get outside of the water (super hot!) but when it is in the water, it never gets that hot, it doesn't even seem warm at the touch because all the heat gets absorbed by water. The only problem would be if it was to touch the plastic container, which I will avoid, but even then, I doubt that it could get hot on that particular spot enough to melt the plastic, since it is plastic itself and plastic is a good heat conductor so it couldn't get heated enough on one particular, touching spot. If I wrapped my fingers around it, I would get burned because I would block the water from absorbing it's warmth. Most heaters would overheat themselves if left outside of the water or gripped firmly. The lowest point of melting plastic is 160F and if a part of the filter would be touching the plastic container, that surface would never get to anything close to a temperature that high. I will be cautious though, and make sure that they don't touch.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:07 AM   #109 
Myates

Usually the rubber suction cups keep the heaters from touching the sides - along with the rubber cap on the end. It can get warm, maybe very thin plastic may melt.. but otherwise you shouldn't have anything to worry. I keep large, shallow tubs full of water with a heater in it for my cup/containers, etc with no wear/tear/burn/melting of it. The heaters are set at 84F (because the large open space makes it tougher to keep warm).
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:17 AM   #110 
soady

Not even the thinnest plastic can melt if it doesn't reach the right temperature, and it certainly can't with a 25 watt heater touching a tiny spot of the plastic container. I know about the suction cups, but the end of the heater might touch the inside of the tank if I attached it vertically, since it will be a round one. Also, the plastic containers that I'll be using are of very hard and thick plastic so like you said, I shouldn't worry about it. Even so, I will find a way for the heater not to touch the container directly, and I might put it in a vase of some sort if it is necessary.

Tags
cull, fry, natural