Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-07-2013, 08:55 AM   #11 
Laki

I am not even going to sugar coat it.. I am too lazy to feed twice a day. I feed them once a day (any variety of the 5 types of food I have) and I don't count them either. And I don't have a schedule for feeding. They know the surface of the water and the little door means food (except when the filter drags water along the rim and I keep the flap open for evaporation) but yea. Usually it's when I turn on the light in the morning.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:28 AM   #12 
DragonFyre14

I don't feed in the morning but I think I might start... Sounds like it would be healthier for him and I could give him more nutrition without worrying about him bloating up later or something. Currently I'm giving my big boy about 8-10 pellets once a day with one day of fasting.
Posted via Mobile Device
DragonFyre14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:25 AM   #13 
Nicci Lu

I prefer smaller, more frequent meals. I actually broke up my betta's feeding schedule into 3 meals a day in an effort to curtail his tailbiting and it seems to be working better than 2 meals a day. But that's also because there's almost always someone responsible home to do so- I know for many people that just wouldn't be possible due to real life schedules.

I look at it this way- we're always saying that bettas' stomachs are only the size of their eye. So, how could they get enough food in one feeding to last them a day that wouldn't make their stomachs uncomfortably full? It just makes sense, but that's just my opinion. I also, unlike most, don't fast for one day, unless his tummy looks too big and even then I'll usually give him some daphnia. Every betta is different.
Nicci Lu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:55 AM   #14 
DragonFyre14

That's actually a really good point. I've never really though about it that way. Guess this tread has converted me to the ways of feeding twice a day
DragonFyre14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 05:57 PM   #15 
xShainax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laki View Post
I am not even going to sugar coat it.. I am too lazy to feed twice a day. I feed them once a day (any variety of the 5 types of food I have) and I don't count them either. And I don't have a schedule for feeding. They know the surface of the water and the little door means food (except when the filter drags water along the rim and I keep the flap open for evaporation) but yea. Usually it's when I turn on the light in the morning.
I am the same way. They get excited when I open the flaps.
xShainax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:32 PM   #16 
finnfinnfriend

I feed once a day and my guy does great. IMO feeding once a day or twice a day is perfectly fine...
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote