Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-07-2013, 02:21 PM   #41 
tekkguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otterfun View Post
Tekkguy put a plastic card near the intake at the bottom of the tank (filter block side) but sticking it into the substrate. You can use the plastic card that visa sends out for pre-approval. Then stick it close to (1/4") to the intake with the raise numbers side facing the intake to allow space for water to go it. If you size it, make sure there are no sharp edges.
That's not really the same as the top intake, though.

The top intake can be covered with a piece of sponge or even better, the plastic grid material that everyone uses for DIY dividers. Just be aware that you are seriously decreasing the flow at the top if you do that. This will have two effects:

1. The pump output will slow down
2. Filtration will be compromised by the decreased flow and the fact that the intake at the bottom will be working harder.

If you have a problem with your betta sitting at the top overflow, I would turn the pump UP, block the bottom hole, and cover the grate with a piece of grid on the TANK SIDE not the sponge side of the top filter grate.

You want to turn the pump up because you're going to kill some of the water flow with the grid.

You want to block the bottom hole because you don't want the water entering from there (it will follow the path of least resistance and bypass the filter sponge).

You want the divider material on the tank side so that if the betta continues to lay there, he's laying against a grid with smaller holes and not the larger grate. You should be able to tie this on with fishing line.

IF YOU BLOCK THE BOTTOM HOLE, do not let your water level drop lower than the top grate - you risk blowing out your pump.
tekkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 03:23 PM   #42 
Jeri

Someone suggested to me to use a plastic brillo pad type thing (not the chemically/soap treated ones) to attach to the tank side of the slots. Supposedly it will not restrict the flow, is not abrasive enough to damage fins, and they can still rest against it. Sound like it will work?
Jeri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 04:03 PM   #43 
tekkguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeri View Post
Someone suggested to me to use a plastic brillo pad type thing (not the chemically/soap treated ones) to attach to the tank side of the slots. Supposedly it will not restrict the flow, is not abrasive enough to damage fins, and they can still rest against it. Sound like it will work?
Yeah, anything like that will help - but make sure you follow the other suggestions, like checking the pump setting, closing the bottom hole, etc. Anything you use to cover that top intake is going to make water use the bottom intake more, or decrease your pump, or both.
tekkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:58 PM   #44 
daylily

I tried a piece of filter material - I think it was from some sort of Fluval nano tank filter that I found at the aquarium store and cut to fit. It was about 1/4" thick and just about the right size to cover up the slots. I put it on rather loose, but it still restricted the flow to much. The levels in the three areas were not level after a bit - can't remember exactly - but enough to let me know that it was not a good idea.

I tried taking apart a silk plant and floating it in front of the slots. That worked as far as the slots and flow, but the betta still wiggles himself in to be next to the slots. He is a veil tail, and used to have long fins. Now he's quite scraggly.

That's the only thing that keeps me from getting another Spec V.

I have a 10 gallon (inexpensive type) set up that someone gave me that they didn't want any more. I use it as a hospital tank - but it's so noisy and the filter is really strong. It's plastic and I just don't like the tank. The Fluval Spec V is SO much easier to take care of.

I'm torn between getting another one and then try some other method to keep the betta from tearing fins on the slots - and getting a regular 5 gallon set up, or one of the other Fluvals.

I should start a new thread about this.

Since I have the Spec V, and this has been a problem, though, thought I'd see if anyone else really likes one of the other Fluval small tanks. I will probably always have a betta, so it's a long term investment. I'd like to have one that will be planted, and filtered.
daylily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:10 PM   #45 
daylily

Here is a photo of Victor in his sleeping position against the slots. He is in much better shape now - this was shortly after I got him from a pet store. Now that his fins are so much bigger, they go into the slots a little ways, as he rests against them.

If I do get another Fluval Spec V, I think I will only put Plakats, wild types, or females in there. No bettas with flowing fins, just in case they decide they want to sleep on the slots.
Attached Images

daylily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 02:35 AM   #46 
2ndName

Hello all, new member here and definitely interested in a Fluval V or EcoPico. Anyone have both that can provide some feedback? Unsure if I even need a 5g for 1 Betta but more space is always better, thoughts?
2ndName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 05:31 PM   #47 
Crowntails

The Fluval V is cheaper, so I could get it. The shape is nice and long, your betta will defiantly appreciate that.
Crowntails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 01:33 AM   #48 
Otterfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndName View Post
Hello all, new member here and definitely interested in a Fluval V or EcoPico. Anyone have both that can provide some feedback? Unsure if I even need a 5g for 1 Betta but more space is always better, thoughts?
some thoughts, Fluval SPEC V is freshwater only. I am not sure if EcoPico is freshwater only. But if you are thinking of EcoPico level, you may also want to consider Eheim's 4, 6 & 9g tanks that are award winning Fresh/Saltwater AQ.

I am not sure if EcoPico is both. This is because if they can be used for both kinds of water, you may have the option of starting a saltwater tank later...I am thinking along those lines.

Eheim:
http://www.eheimna.com/products/detail/13/category

Having said that, always consider the square footage (surface area) of the tank as more important that the volume (gallons) so as to allow rom for a betta to swim horizontally. You can have a 15g tank that has the same surface area as a 5g. tank, only taller. In this case, it will not be of much benefit to the betta since they have to swim up and down the tank to breathe the air.

Last edited by Otterfun; 03-18-2013 at 01:36 AM.
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 03:53 AM   #49 
Mr2KiEu

It's good to see everyone helping each other with their Spec related questions and concerns.

A BIG complaint about our Spec tanks for our Betta is the high output of flow, forcing the betta to rest or be pushed towards the overflow grates causing their fins to get torn. I've searched the forums, googled, and even watched youtube videos to find solutions, so I'm going to list a few mods I tried myself and hope it helps. I'll list them so it's easy and clear to follow. Try a few or combo of them and see what works best for yourself:

1. Turn the pump down to the lowest setting.
2. Zip tie course black filter sponge around return nozzle.
3. Cut return tube so it can decrease the flow.
4. Use plumber's tape around the return nozzle to retrict some flow.
5. Jam a small piece of filter sponge into the nozzle to restrict flow.
6. Buy a ball valve for $3 and attach it to the return tube so you can adjust the flow to your desired amount.

Personally I think option 1 combined with option 6 is the cleanest and best solution. It gives you the most adjustability of flow.

Hope this helps!
Mr2KiEu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 04:00 AM   #50 
Mr2KiEu

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndName View Post

If space and your budget allows for a the Spec V than choose that option, your betta will definately thank you for it. The EcoPico isn't an AIO (All in One) system and I've read the LED lights aren't that great for plants either. It's a sleek looking tank tho!
Mr2KiEu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
betta, fluval, nano, planted, spec