Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-06-2013, 11:27 PM   #1 
ashleigheperry

Introduced my new betta into my community tank and he's flaring at my...

Mickey Mouse Platys. Help? When I first acclimated them, the platys hid in their little corner together but he came (slowly) after them and flared at them. They scooted away and he only followed them (slowly) for a moment before swimming away to explore. Now they're out in the open, even swimming up towards him, and they only change paths if he approaches them while flaring. He's only flaring for a second or two at a time and then gets bored, but I'm still worried.

Should I separate him?
Attached Images

ashleigheperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 12:12 AM   #2 
Bombalurina

I would suggest adding in a bunch more plants and decorations to break up his line of sight more. This will hopefully encourage him to claim just one area of the tank of his own and only chase the platys when they go into it.

If that doesn't work, you may have to look at removing him.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 12:30 AM   #3 
ashleigheperry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombalurina View Post
I would suggest adding in a bunch more plants and decorations to break up his line of sight more. This will hopefully encourage him to claim just one area of the tank of his own and only chase the platys when they go into it.

If that doesn't work, you may have to look at removing him.
He seems to have calmed down a bit already and he's spending a lot of time in the most heavily planted corner, hiding in the back and in the plants themselves. I'll be monitoring the tank closely over the next few days.

I've ordered plants that should be arriving soon that I can use to break his line of sight. The platys honestly seem to care less and are sticking to the opposite side of the tank and the top/front where they are always playing. They're staying away from his corner for the most part.

I do have a hospital/quarantine tank he can stay in for a few more days until I can get a divider in my 10G (my for new cories are almost ready to move into the big tank and complete the school). If I need to separate him, I certainly can.
Old 03-07-2013, 12:49 AM   #4 
Saphira101

What tail type is he? He's beautiful!
Saphira101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 03:49 PM   #5 
ashleigheperry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saphira101 View Post
What tail type is he? He's beautiful!
Thank you - I love him.
He's a delta, or at least that's how he was labeled. c:

UPDATE: He's hiding constantly in the castle I have in the tank and I couldn't get him to eat today. I'm giving him another day or two but if he doesn't improve I'll be moving him!
Old 03-07-2013, 06:15 PM   #6 
Bombalurina

I suspect he is probably very stressed from all the open space/activity of the fish. :) I think you are right to move him if more dense decoration doesn't help.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:20 PM   #7 
ashleigheperry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombalurina View Post
I suspect he is probably very stressed from all the open space/activity of the fish. :) I think you are right to move him if more dense decoration doesn't help.
I have to agree. I'm moving my cories over to my 20G (they have finally finished their quarantine!) and then I'm dividing my 10G and giving him a more calming environment. He was very happy in the quarantine tank he was in when I first got him, so I think he's just stressed. Hopefully I can get everything set up in the next few days. Thank you for your advice!