Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-07-2013, 11:25 AM   #111 
Myates

How big is the container? A 25 watt heater probably won't get it to reach the 84F temp.. I use 150w for 30g tanks.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:39 AM   #112 
soady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myates View Post
How big is the container? A 25 watt heater probably won't get it to reach the 84F temp.. I use 150w for 30g tanks.
I finally decided to buy a 20g one, and I will be using a 50-100 watt heater. I mentioned the 25 watt one because that's what I have in my 15g aquarium. It doesn't make much difference temperature wise because more wattage means longer heater, not higher temperature at any part of it, just more warm surface.

Last edited by soady; 03-07-2013 at 11:45 AM.
soady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 12:10 PM   #113 
Stone

I don't always buy a betta because they are "perfect" hell 2 of mine are not fit for breeding in no way shape or form, but they had something I liked or I rescued them, The one in my avatar I bought as a rescue even though he ended up fooling me, he was acting like he was going to die at any minute sitting on the shelf at walmart, and I like his colors/markings, other than that he is a mess fin wise, I just bough VT from walmart because he is a yellow/orange pineapple one, I don't buy a fish just because it is perfect and since there really is no IBC standard on VT's perfect is in the eye of the beholder.

What I would love to see is a Giant/King VT I think that would be awesome......
Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 01:18 PM   #114 
Xaltd1

Quote:
Originally Posted by soady View Post
I don't think that it can melt the plastic because the heater warms the water and gets cooled by it. I often see my betta's tail touching the heater while it is on with no problems. However, I will make sure that the heater doesn't touch the plastic, and I will use some kind of vase if I can't attach it properly to the round tank. :)
We're OT a bit, but I agree w/ both sides. I keep a plastic bucket of treated water w/ a nano heater in it for PWTs. The heater lies directly on the plastic bucket bottom. I've never had a melting issue, but it's a small wattage heater. It actually never occured to me that it could melt! (I assumed the water draws the heat away.) I also have the same make of heater in a 1/2 gal acrylic tank for my shrimp farm. Again, it rests on the side of the tank...
BUT, when I go up in wattage for a grow out tub(s), I like the vase idea. The heater will be higher wattage, adjustable & much hotter. With frequent water changes, I don't want the heater to be exposed to the air-(won't they crack?).
One HUGE takaway is to NEVER leave a heater that's on in an empty plastic container!!! More than once I forgot to unplug a heater after emptying the water in a water change bucket... so far, I've remembered to unplug it/refill it before any disaster happened, but it's something to think about. When we're caught up in thinking about our fish's welfare, simple safety rules can easily go out the window-esp. for those w/ Swiss cheese for brains, like me!
Xaltd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 01:59 PM   #115 
soady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaltd1 View Post
We're OT a bit, but I agree w/ both sides. I keep a plastic bucket of treated water w/ a nano heater in it for PWTs. The heater lies directly on the plastic bucket bottom. I've never had a melting issue, but it's a small wattage heater. It actually never occured to me that it could melt! (I assumed the water draws the heat away.) I also have the same make of heater in a 1/2 gal acrylic tank for my shrimp farm. Again, it rests on the side of the tank...
BUT, when I go up in wattage for a grow out tub(s), I like the vase idea. The heater will be higher wattage, adjustable & much hotter. With frequent water changes, I don't want the heater to be exposed to the air-(won't they crack?).
One HUGE takaway is to NEVER leave a heater that's on in an empty plastic container!!! More than once I forgot to unplug a heater after emptying the water in a water change bucket... so far, I've remembered to unplug it/refill it before any disaster happened, but it's something to think about. When we're caught up in thinking about our fish's welfare, simple safety rules can easily go out the window-esp. for those w/ Swiss cheese for brains, like me!
Yes, they will burn out if they are on out of the water, and the water does absorb the heat so the heater itself is not even warm.
Old 03-07-2013, 04:29 PM   #116 
louisvillelady

I have worked in plastics my whole life up until now, and now I work at an auto manufacturing company. I have worked at plastic manufacturing companies, where I made parts made out of plastic, and the last ten years have worked in plastic recycling. Plastics have a considerably low melting point. It depends on the type of plastic and thickness. A bucket which is much thicker, will not burn as easily as say the sterlite containers. The underwater aquarium heaters are not intended to touch anything, much less be used in a plastic container. Yes, the water takes the heat away, but when the heater is touching the side of a plastic container, there is the possibility of it melting. If the variables are right, thin plastic, high enough wattage, enough surface space of the heater touching, time it is touching, it can and will melt the plastic. Acrylic has a much higher melting point than most other plastics.

These heaters are not intended to be placed in plastic containers. I use plastic containers as well, and if used with caution, are safe with no worries.

A word to the wise is sufficient.
louisvillelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:02 PM   #117 
Xaltd1

I was wondering about acrylic, since so many tanks are made out of them.
I looked at the packaging on the latest Fluval heater I bought. It's 50 watts, and I read the fine print (had to get out the 3x glasses) and there's no warning about melting! Since you know the industry, you may want to shoot an email to the manufaturers & see what they say. I'm surprised there's no warning: most products go on & on about not eating them, playing with them, etc.
Xaltd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:56 PM   #118 
soady

Quote:
Originally Posted by louisvillelady View Post
I have worked in plastics my whole life up until now, and now I work at an auto manufacturing company. I have worked at plastic manufacturing companies, where I made parts made out of plastic, and the last ten years have worked in plastic recycling. Plastics have a considerably low melting point. It depends on the type of plastic and thickness. A bucket which is much thicker, will not burn as easily as say the sterlite containers. The underwater aquarium heaters are not intended to touch anything, much less be used in a plastic container. Yes, the water takes the heat away, but when the heater is touching the side of a plastic container, there is the possibility of it melting. If the variables are right, thin plastic, high enough wattage, enough surface space of the heater touching, time it is touching, it can and will melt the plastic. Acrylic has a much higher melting point than most other plastics.

These heaters are not intended to be placed in plastic containers. I use plastic containers as well, and if used with caution, are safe with no worries.

A word to the wise is sufficient.
There is no way that the temperature can reach 160F(point of plastic melting) even if it is touching the plastic at the tip (if it was in a rounded tank), especially since the heaters turn on and off from time to time.

Be that as it may, I will still avoid placing my heaters to touch the container directly.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:16 PM   #119 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Just to add on to what Louisville lady said- I have lowered the water level once (and this was a 25 watt heater) below the heater level. Bad idea. I touched it briefly, and I burnt my hand. When I dropped it in the water it sizzled and steamed. They do get very hot. If I was you I would not take the risk and make sure the heater is not touching the plastic. Best not to put your property, fish, and safety at risk.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:30 PM   #120 
soady

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattsBettas View Post
Just to add on to what Louisville lady said- I have lowered the water level once (and this was a 25 watt heater) below the heater level. Bad idea. I touched it briefly, and I burnt my hand. When I dropped it in the water it sizzled and steamed. They do get very hot. If I was you I would not take the risk and make sure the heater is not touching the plastic. Best not to put your property, fish, and safety at risk.

That heater wasn't in the water properly and that's why it burned you. It needs the water to cool him as much as the water needs it to be heated. You are in no risk if you touch a heater while it's working underwater, and since it is made of plastic, touching any plastic won't affect it (plastic is a good heat conductor). And imagine the temperature reaching 160F to melt it... As I said, the heater won't touch the container but it is just a precaution to a highly unlikely risk.

Tags
cull, fry, natural