Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-07-2013, 11:12 PM   #1 
britishbetta

Exclamation Internal Parasites or Not? O_O

Hi, so Shigeru's not been feeling well for about 3 days now. His belly's coloring has become yellow, he's lethargic, clamping a bit, and I think I see white spots IN his poop (he had diarrhea on Tuesday).

He's still interested in food, so I'm hoping he can hang on until tomorrow night, when I can get meds for him. I've heard things with metro and prazi are good for parasites, right?

Housing
What size is your tank? 3 gallons
What temperature is your tank? 79 F
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No.
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Frozen Hikari bloodworms, brine shrimp and mysis shrimp.
How often do you feed your betta fish? 4 shrimp/worms 2 times a day.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Once 100% a week.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Epsom salt. IAL.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH: 7.2
Hardness:
Alkalinity:
NOTE: I checked my water 2 weeks ago at an aquarium and everything came back normal.

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? His belly has gone grey and yellow in color. He's started clamping - he holds his dorsal fin below 45 degrees from his body.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? He's become more lethargic, takes a lot more naps close to the surface, sitting on his leaf hammock to get rest.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? March 6, 2013
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? I have not started any sort of treatment besides 1 tsp of Epson salt to his 3 gallon tank.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Yes, he's super sensitive to things. He's had septicimia and columnaris before. This would be the first time he might have parasites.
How old is your fish (approximately)? Probably 1 year old.
britishbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:51 PM   #2 
callistra

Feeding frozen foods can lead to parasite infection, but also feeding what you are feeding can lead to constipation which presents as this.. I would fast him a day a week normally. Keep in mind that the betta's stomach is about the size of his eye. He shouldn't be fed more than that, twice a day.

For now I would fast him the next 3 days to a week while you increase epsoms to 1 tsp per gallon which means 3 tsp for your tank.

imho, this is not going to give your guy adequate nutrition. The blood worms are like feeding potato chips. Shrimp are not a great deal better. These are better used as treats and feed a high quality pellet and his immune system will likely be stronger and he wont' have the constipation issues.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
internal parasite, internal parasites, parasite, parasites