Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-06-2013, 07:47 PM   #1 
Lotte

DIY tank covers?

Would it be okay to cover your Betta's tank with foul or plastic food wrap with holes in them?
Lotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:24 PM   #2 
Lotte

Foil*
Old 03-07-2013, 02:06 AM   #3 
Aurie

Are you using a light on your tank? I only ask because plastic wrap and heat from the light might not mix. If you're using a desk lamp or something like that, then I'd say go for it! Just make sure you poke holes for air obviously. I'd do this on a day you have time so you can keep an eye on it for an extended period of time.

What size tank is it..
What brand, if you don't know the brand, what store did you get it from (or craigslist maybe?) .. We might be able to come up with a different solution if needed.
Aurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:13 PM   #4 
Lotte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurie View Post
Are you using a light on your tank? I only ask because plastic wrap and heat from the light might not mix. If you're using a desk lamp or something like that, then I'd say go for it! Just make sure you poke holes for air obviously. I'd do this on a day you have time so you can keep an eye on it for an extended period of time.

What size tank is it..
What brand, if you don't know the brand, what store did you get it from (or craigslist maybe?) .. We might be able to come up with a different solution if needed.
It's a 2.5g as for what brand I don't know. I bought it from a small fish shop with no tags or wrapping
Old 03-07-2013, 07:22 PM   #5 
LittleBettaFish

I put glad wrap which is a plastic cling wrap over all of my wild betta tanks because if I don't they jump out.

I also lay T5HO 50 watt fluros over the tops of some of the tanks, and never ran into any issues with the heat from the light and that sits right over the cling wrap.

I also never bother poking air holes into the cling wrap. Me lifting up one corner a couple of times a day seems to be enough for the bettas. Also they cling wrap doesn't sit quite flush in places because of my power cords so I assume that lets some air in.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:40 PM   #6 
Vizja13

I actually got a pretty cheap plexiglass cover for my 5.5 cut. It works great, let's light in, doesn't melt, and lets in air :) That boy isn't a jumper (he is older and lazy) but no one could jump from it.
Vizja13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:58 PM   #7 
bniebetta

Here is what I did: today I created a spur of the moment habitat for a fish I rescued from Wal-mart. I had an old fishbowl (I cleaned it very thoroughly without soap of course), which will do for a while because the fish is tiny. The primary concerns were 1) the fish jumping out and 2) the water evaporating from the bowl heater (which every betta should have unless you live in a very warm place). I took a plastic lid from an old food container and rinsed it in cold water before cutting a hole in one side for feeding and air. If you poke holes in it make sure you sand or scratch off any sharp parts so that in the event the fish jumps his fins won't get torn. I added a non-heat producing LED reading clip-light to give him some light without leeching any chemicals into the water. It is a lot more sturdy and attractive than foil or plastic wrap, and I imagine you could do the same thing with just about any product that will fit the shape and size of your tank (tupperware or bin lids, plastic dishes, etc). GOOD LUCK!
bniebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 12:06 AM   #8 
Aurie

is it a rectangle made of glass like a mini version of a 10 gallon or is it acrylic in a shape? I only ask because if it's rectangle you can get glass cut pretty cheap and can make a cover at lowes (measure their cuts before you leave) and just make it a tad short front to back for your filter/wires. If it's an odd shape I'd do the plastic wrap.

I only mentioned heat due to some hoods/light fixtures can create a lot of heat and you don't want melted plastic. Just something to be thoughtful of.
Aurie is offline   Reply With Quote