Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-07-2013, 09:13 PM   #1 
PorcupineBettaFish

How to quarantine plants?

Hello everyone,
I have read that its best to quarantine plants before adding them to your tank. This may sound like a dumb question, but how exactly do I do that? And for how long- and what am I looking for if something is wrong? (Snails crawling out or something?). Heating? Water conditioner?

I have a 10 gal tank with a aqua clear 20 filter, currently home to 1 male betta (Porcupine), 3 ghost shrimp, 1 anubias plant, 1 small sword plant and 1 small crypt.
Temp: 78
Ammonia: 0
Nitrites: 0
Nitrates: 10
I would really like to make it a "heavily planted" tank, but as I shop for more plants I am so hesitant to upset my happy betta by introducing something awful.
I have an empty 5 gallon and 1.5 gallon I could use for the quarantine.

Thank you for any help!
PorcupineBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:34 PM   #2 
Laki

Hi!
I usually get a bowl and soak the plants in regular untreated tap water for a few hours, changing it frequently to shake off any snails. I'm sure people quarentine for longer to check for disease but I like to put the plant in the tank to begin establishing it so it can grow. Snails are not a problem for me, I think there's one single pond snail in there because no food gets to see the bottom of the tank and it only eats algae.

In a heavily planted tank, some snails would be beneficial :)

So it's up to you, you know what conditions the tank was in that the new plants came out of.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:52 PM   #3 
PorcupineBettaFish

Thank you, that solves the problem of temp, light, etc... I was getting so confused thinking I had to simulate my tank conditions for like a week in the quarantine bowl (I don't have enough equipment for that!).
But a few hours is much easier, I guess I was over thinking it! Thank you!
PorcupineBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:14 AM   #4 
Laki

Well, some people do get the lights and stuff but my luck, the plants would start growing in it and I would rip the new roots putting them in the tank I wanted them all along!!

Some people might come and disagree but my worst problem with plants has been hitchhiker snails, and by the time the chlorine rinses are done, they drop off anyway.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote