Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-08-2013, 09:39 AM   #1 
White Mage

Which sponge filter?

I hate the biowheel filter in the 5g hex. The current is way too strong, and I can't baffle it without the water backing up and stopping the wheel, ruining the purpose of the filter.

Which size sponge filter size should I get? http://www.ebay.com/itm/251202864096?var=550203669533

And would the 10g tetra whisper pump be too powerful? Thanks!

Tank pic (actually looks a tad different now, but I just wanted to show the size of tank.:
Attached Images

White Mage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:42 AM   #2 
waterdog

Strange. I have the marineland 5 hex and it is my favorite tank!!!!!!!!!!
The guy in my avatar absolutely loves it!

For up to 5 gallons all you need is the smallest sponge.

btw, if you don't want your filter, send it to me!
waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:49 AM   #3 
White Mage

Should I get the taller version of the small sponge?

Also, I love this tank too! The filter makes a peaceful waterfall sound, but I had a betta that died In it... I strongly believe he was stressed over the current. he always stayed in the back and when he came out he would get shoved around then hide again. The water perimeters are fine and he had no visible signs of illness either so... yeah. :c he never really adapted well either, wouldn't eat for the 2 weeks I had him. =/

I got a new betta, he's a doubletail halfmoon, and his fins when flared are shaped like a jet plane. He gets shoved around even worse than the other one. D:

He doesn't mind, in fact I think he's having fun! Lol, it's just he has a very minor case of finrot and I want his fins to heal. Also has a few tears, and this current won't be helping. :c lol

Btw, I HIGHLY recommend the colormax fluorescent bulbs for this tank! Looks SO MUCH BETTER, than the orange incandecent bulb it came with. I need to take a pic of it now with the new bulb...
Attached Images

Last edited by White Mage; 03-08-2013 at 09:57 AM.
Old 03-08-2013, 10:18 AM   #4 
waterdog

I'm just wondering, your waterfall remark makes me wonder, are you filling the tank all the way or leaving a gap at the top? It makes much less flow if you have the water up to the discharge, so instead of falling it just kinda swirls around.
Like I said, I have the guy in my avatar in it and crowntails are definately not strong swimmers and he has no problems at all. He builds bubble nests in the back by the pump and plays in the current.

Look and you can actually see the bottom of my discharge below the water line......
Attached Images

waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 10:21 AM   #5 
shellieca
Reference Team

I have the Tetra 10g pump on my 5.5g & the Tetra 20g on a 5g, it's all about controlling the flow with a valve. I used the Aquaclear (Fluval) sponges to make my own sponge filter. Love the sponge filter in my tanks & I think the boys like them better.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 10:28 AM   #6 
White Mage

What I meant by "waterfall sound" was the sound of the bubbles from the biowheel. I have my tank filled as far as it can go without water pouring out the sides.. D: it happened twice, the tank is shorter than the black frame. O.e

It's about exactly where yours is. Nice tank btw!

So... tall or short mini sponge filter? I need to order before I leave in 30mins.
Old 03-08-2013, 11:05 AM   #7 
White Mage

Ordered the tall since nobody replied... can't go wrong with over filtration :S