Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-02-2013, 07:32 PM   #21 
Viva

Quote:
Originally Posted by LebronTheBetta View Post
Cute pics, everyone. :D

Viva, the first pic of your 2 rats remind me of Yin and Yang sorta. xD I'm sorry they passed, though.
Hehe, yeah I thought the same thing. Actually, the name of the picture is Yin&Yang on my PC =P
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 11:42 PM   #22 
Bombalurina

Picture 1: Darcy, eating on his back
Picture 2: Richelieu (D'Artagnan's brother) grinning a cheeky grin
Picture 3: Jekyll, my pretty boy, who died last June :(
Picture 4: Jekyll and his beautiful brother Hyde, who died in November. That was their favourite spot and I miss them being there every single night.
Picture 5: My final rat Willoughby, all curled up and sleepy.
Attached Images

Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:02 PM   #23 
Bombalurina

I thought I'd post some pictures of my cage. Please excuse the mess; I haven't cleaned up since last night and overnight Willoughby sneezed some blood on the towel, and various bits of breakfast have been thrown all over the place. Sigh.

Please also excuse the cruddiness of these pictures. They are mostly to show how I use lino for bedding. :)
Attached Images

Old 03-08-2013, 10:33 AM   #24 
Crowntails

Everyone's rats and mice are so cute! I really want 2 rats, but my cat would eat them. Sigh.
Crowntails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 11:12 AM   #25 
Viva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowntails View Post
Everyone's rats and mice are so cute! I really want 2 rats, but my cat would eat them. Sigh.
Lol how do you know your cat will eat them? My female cat just swatted them in the butt and Tucker got bit by the dominant rat one time so hes deathly afraid of anything that lives in a cage now. I've only heard of a cat eating a pet rat once and that was because the girl like never fed her cat.
Old 03-08-2013, 11:19 AM   #26 
Crowntails

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viva View Post
Lol how do you know your cat will eat them? My female cat just swatted them in the butt and Tucker got bit by the dominant rat one time so hes deathly afraid of anything that lives in a cage now. I've only heard of a cat eating a pet rat once and that was because the girl like never fed her cat.
Almost every night he brings in a dead mouse or rabbit or bird into our basement. He is an avid hunter. I've seen him take down a full grown rabbit and kill it.
Crowntails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 07:45 PM   #27 
Viva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowntails View Post
Almost every night he brings in a dead mouse or rabbit or bird into our basement. He is an avid hunter. I've seen him take down a full grown rabbit and kill it.
Hehe nice, a rabbit!? I had a cat that used to be a hunter too, but she knew that my pet hamsters were off limits. I used to have them run around outside and that's when she would start stalking them. In the house she avoided them. I think most domestic cats are smart enough to know it's part of the family.
Old 03-09-2013, 09:57 PM   #28 
Rosso1011

I love the mouse and rat pictures everyone! It makes me miss my ratties sooo much! I used to have them in a cage about the size of the one that Bombalurina shows in her top image.

I am thinking about getting rodents again soon, but I am thinking about going with mice since (I know this sounds bad) I won't have the time I feel that rats deserve. My rats were very domesticated and constantly craved the attention of their loving caregiver. While I miss that, I do not have that kind of time since I work a lot.
Rosso1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 08:50 AM   #29 
LebronTheBetta

Hm.. I have a question based on the post above. ^

Do rats make a better companion than mice? And do they have a greater or smaller smell?

Everyone seems to have them, I might switch to them once Trix passes (I don't want him to tho ><) and when my family moves into a bigger house this summer.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 07:34 PM   #30 
Bombalurina

Mice are sweet little things, but rats are definitely more personable. I think it is because they are bigger. Mice can enjoy being with you, or at least not mind it, but my ratties will come bounding up to me and beg for cuddles. My boy Hyde was such a cuddlebug that if I just put him down on my lap, he would prop his forepaws on my stomach, headbutt me and stare up at me until I'd pick him up and kiss and cuddle him. At which point he would boggle his little brains out in delight.

I've never had mice myself - my experience has all been with friends' mice, or from my rodent-loving vet regaling us with her tales, but from what I hear tell a mouse will smell more. I've trained my rats only to poop in the litter tray (mostly) and not go on the carpet (mostly) so that helps. :)