Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-04-2013, 04:24 PM   #1 
lilyth88
Member
 
lilyth88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Wisconsin
Question The time has come. Setting up my two 3 gallon NPTs!

I am expecting plants in the mail on Wednesday or Thursday from someone here on the forums. In the meanwhile, I will be picking up soil and sand to turn my two 3 gallon tanks into NPTs. I have been lurking on OFL's post about how to set up NPTs for awhile now, and I think I get the jist of it.

That being said, where should Echo and Chronos go while their tanks are being converted? Can I put them in the same day I convert their tanks? Should I keep them in their QT tanks for a few days? What's the best way to go about that?
lilyth88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 04:29 PM   #2 
MattsBettas
Reference Team
 
MattsBettas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Alberta, Canada
You can put them in the day of set up, but personally I would keep the in your qt tanks (just to house them temporarily) for a few days while it settles.
MattsBettas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 04:31 PM   #3 
lilyth88
Member
 
lilyth88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattsBettas View Post
You can put them in the day of set up, but personally I would keep the in your qt tanks (just to house them temporarily) for a few days while it settles.
My boyfriend is afraid of being overrun with snails and shrimp. What are people's experiences with both? Can I get away with one or the other? What are people's recommendations for types?
lilyth88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:05 PM   #4 
Bombalurina
Member
 
Bombalurina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Australia
I don't think it is possible to have too many shrimp. :) It is lovely to see cherry shrimp all over the place, and since they have such a tiny bioload it doesn't really matter if they breed like crazy, especially in a planted tank.

As for snails, it really depends on the type. Wash your plants carefully to avoid hitchhikers, and don't buy anything too prolific, such as ramshorns or MTS (unless you want them). Nerites (for algae) and assasin snails (for keeping snail populations under control) may be good. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:45 PM   #5 
lilyth88
Member
 
lilyth88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombalurina View Post
I don't think it is possible to have too many shrimp. :) It is lovely to see cherry shrimp all over the place, and since they have such a tiny bioload it doesn't really matter if they breed like crazy, especially in a planted tank.

As for snails, it really depends on the type. Wash your plants carefully to avoid hitchhikers, and don't buy anything too prolific, such as ramshorns or MTS (unless you want them). Nerites (for algae) and assasin snails (for keeping snail populations under control) may be good. :)
What are your recommendations as to when to put the fish in? Should I do it same day? Also, should I wash the sand before putting it in the tank? I plan on just getting pool sand. (Anybody know where I can buy that??)
lilyth88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 01:22 AM   #6 
Bombalurina
Member
 
Bombalurina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Australia
Just keep rinsing the sand until you can't see any more dirt or dustiness. :)

In an NPT the fish can be added the same day, though it wouldn't hurt to give everything a day to settle, as Matts said. :) It may also be good to add the fish over a couple of days to allow the tank to adjust to the incoming bioload.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:02 AM   #7 
lilyth88
Member
 
lilyth88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombalurina View Post
Just keep rinsing the sand until you can't see any more dirt or dustiness. :)

In an NPT the fish can be added the same day, though it wouldn't hurt to give everything a day to settle, as Matts said. :) It may also be good to add the fish over a couple of days to allow the tank to adjust to the incoming bioload.
There is just one fish in each tank. They are both three gallons. I will be getting shrimp though.
lilyth88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:09 AM   #8 
JessJesting
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Ohio
Post some pics once you get them up! =)
JessJesting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:06 PM   #9 
lilyth88
Member
 
lilyth88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Wisconsin
Got everything set up tonight. Water was a bit cloudy, so I'll see how it looks tomorrow before I take pictures.

Plants are a little wilty after shipping, so we'll see how they do.

Fish and shrimp tomorrow if all goes according to plan!
lilyth88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 11:17 AM   #10 
3k00rb
New Member
 
3k00rb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Can't wait for pics! I have a 3 gallon that I want to plant too. I'm counting on this thread to give me some great ideas
3k00rb is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A Few Questions on NPTs Nicci Lu Planted Betta Tanks 5 02-22-2013 05:00 PM
For those whi want to do NPTs ao Planted Betta Tanks 19 10-14-2012 04:41 PM
The critters that come with NPTs!!! Kytkattin Betta Fish Care 2 08-01-2011 05:38 PM
Setting up a 5 gallon tank for the first time Sivan Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories 9 07-06-2011 09:35 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.