Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-07-2013, 04:12 PM   #11 
Tikibirds

You said you used UNCONDITIONED water? you never want to do this because the chemicals in the tap water can end up poisioning the betta.
What conditioner did you use the first time?
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 04:47 PM   #12 
Oldfishlady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikibirds View Post
You said you used UNCONDITIONED water? you never want to do this because the chemicals in the tap water can end up poisioning the betta.
What conditioner did you use the first time?
While this is true for city supplied water, the OP has well water and generally it will be safe to use without dechlorinators.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:09 PM   #13 
Signature Farms

We have well water pumped directly into our Koi pond and its a lot more "fish friendly" than tap. I'd love to have a giant female sorority in there instead of Koi!
Signature Farms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:48 PM   #14 
bniebetta

A filter in a small tank is bad news. Bettas thrive in low to no current conditions and filters can catch their fins and damage them. the recommendation is 1 gallon of water per inch of fish, but my adult male thrives in a 1.7 gallon, so 1+ gallons is a safe rule period even though they should really be kept in the largest space possible. This space does not necessarily need to be an aquarium intended for bettas. You can get a really large vase from any store for low cost to keep him in as long as he is in no danger of jumping out and has plenty of surface air to breathe (betta actually have an organ called a labrynth they use to breathe air, much like a lung). He is probably very stressed out from all the attention and environmental changes. Some bettas are picky when it comes to food, and mine only agreed to eat pellets after I gave him frozen bloodworms and refused to taste anything else until I did so. Bettas are intelligent fish and need stimulating environments that include places they can hide in times of stress (such as being brought to a new home). You may want to try broad spectrum antibiotics just in case an actual illness is ailing him. Put him in a low traffic area so he can adjust to all the new changes, and be careful about water changes. He needs to be in conditioned water (the drops are only about 3 dollars) that is the right temperature, and the water needs a chance to build up healthy bacteria that break down waste. Changing the water to often will not only freak the fish the heck out, but will make your fish more prone to infection because there are no bacteria to help him out. Get rid of the light, it causes the water temperature to be uneven and will stress fishy out everywhere he swims, you can get a cheap bowl or tank heater for 5 to 0 dollars, just make sure to check the label to see what size of tank it is intended for so it does not cook the fish (sorry to be blunt). Mot importantly, give him space. You can observe him, but constantly adding or subtracting to or from the tank, unnecessary frequent water changes, and staring contests when he isn't used to you may actually kill him. give him some time :D
bniebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 12:02 AM   #15 
campbellsusa

'Just reading your reply to this "newbie in trouble"... I'm somewhat of a newbie who just moved my betta into a 5 gallon tank tonight! I'm thankful for your detailed information, as I've been "super stressed" for the last week, researching on what is best for Chemo. We watched him begin to "fade" and are still a little concerned about his health. We made changes to his original bowl a week ago with aquarium salt and more frequent water changes and he look much better! Still not sure exactly if it's an illness or if we have a "marble" (his symptoms don't fit any of the general ails). If you wouldn't mind, I'd appreciate your input.
campbellsusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:05 AM   #16 
Laki

cambellusa, if you wouldn't mind filling out your own thread with the title similar we could all go focus on your fish.. Just to be polite to the OP of this thread. Thanks :)
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 11:13 AM   #17 
Shadyr

Water changes are the big thing in that size tank. A heater is next. And don't bother with the filter. I have 2 minibow 2.5s and a Crescent 3 for some of my boys, and that seems to be a pretty good size (I don't have filters on any of those). 1 is small but doable if you are good on the water changing. You'll probably have to "help" (ie, you do it) your daughter with that, but she can do her part by feeding him and interacting with him.

While most of my bettas ate right away, I did have a couple that sulked/hid/refused food for a couple days, but so far everyone has come around.

Don't give up on the fish because the pet store people are idiots
Shadyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 11:41 AM   #18 
kyle89

Return the minibow 1 if you still have the receipt and go to Walmart and get a 5 gallon or even 10 gallon for the same price as that minibow. A heater will do wonders for the little guy though in a 1 gallon tank and keep up with water changes
kyle89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 02:55 PM   #19 
Bombalurina

Quote:
Originally Posted by bniebetta View Post
the recommendation is 1 gallon of water per inch of fish,
This is not a safe rule to go by for the vast majority of fish and does not take into account a multitude of factors. Please don't promote this without qualifying it. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 03:47 PM   #20 
Oldfishlady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombalurina View Post
This is not a safe rule to go by for the vast majority of fish and does not take into account a multitude of factors. Please don't promote this without qualifying it. :)
I agree 100%...1in/gal rule only applies to species that only grow to 1in SL as adults.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote