Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-07-2013, 06:12 PM   #1 
ashleigheperry

Seeking fertilizer/substrate help.

I've never really attempted planted tanks before but I decided to give it a go in my 10G. I have Chinese ivy and water wisteria with about and inch and a half of sand, a small school of cories, and a betta.

I was wondering what kind of fertilizers you all would recommend to get them going. I'm also awaiting water lettuce, duckweed, moss balls, and hairgrass that will be going in my 10G and 20G tanks. Should I change my substrate or is sand enough? In my 10G there is a small amount of gravel mixed in and I can add gravel to the 20G if needed.

Thanks in advance!

Please Note: I know the 10G looks awful - I had just acclimated the plants. I've since re-arranged them and tidied them up. I'll try and update with a more recent picture.

Also all of the plants in the 20G are fake except for the plant in front of the driftwood piece. I'm not sure what kind of plant it is - I got it months ago and never recorded what type it was. It has rooted in the sand though!
Attached Images

ashleigheperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:30 PM   #2 
ashleigheperry

Here's a better picture of the first tank, with the plants fixed!
Attached Images

ashleigheperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 04:52 PM   #3 
Oldfishlady

The Cardamine lyrata is a nice stem plant and it should do fine in the sand. A good fert would be Seachem flourish for all the water column feeding plants and the root tabs for your rosette plants you plan on getting.

The driving force behind successful planted tanks are the lights-Without the proper color temp lights the plants can't use the ferts and photosynthesis.

What kind of lights are you using, age of bulbs, kelvin, watts and photoperiod. Any natural light...

Your tank will look great once all the plants fill in.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote