Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-08-2013, 05:06 PM   #11 
tekkguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnfinnfriend View Post
Based on what I just looked up, uv rays can definitely penetrate water to any depth that a betta will be at...

EDIT @tekkguy; So UVB can actually be bad for them? Would you advise against using a full spectrum light on an aquarium if possible?

I am still confused though...because they must be exposed to it in nature, and I know reptiles that are exposed to it in nature need an artificial one in captivity, so...
It's not a requirement for fish. The animals in that article are under an ozone hole, and spend much of their time in shallow water. It's just an observation. It also gives humans cancer, right? Stick to regular fluorescent lights and normal aquarium lighting. Nothing special is required.
tekkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 05:10 PM   #12 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekkguy View Post
It's not a requirement for fish. The animals in that article are under an ozone hole, and spend much of their time in shallow water. It's just an observation. It also gives humans cancer, right? Stick to regular fluorescent lights and normal aquarium lighting. Nothing special is required.
Yeah but what I am curious about is why reptiles need it but fish don't...

Also, I have been keeping my betta tank with a glass top and no lighting so I was worried that maybe he needed something more than just the light that comes in through the window. So does he?

Last edited by finnfinnfriend; 03-08-2013 at 05:16 PM.
finnfinnfriend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 05:21 PM   #13 
tekkguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnfinnfriend View Post
Yeah but what I am curious about is why reptiles need it but fish don't...

Also, I have been keeping my betta tank with a glass top and no lighting so I was worried that maybe he needed something more than just the light that comes in through the window. So does he?
I don't know the biology behind it, but fish seem to have some other way of synthesizing or obtaining Vitamin D. Land animals need UV for Vitamin D synthesis - aquatic seems to be a whole different ballgame.
tekkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 05:50 PM   #14 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekkguy View Post
I don't know the biology behind it, but fish seem to have some other way of synthesizing or obtaining Vitamin D. Land animals need UV for Vitamin D synthesis - aquatic seems to be a whole different ballgame.
Thank you for confirming that. I was hoping that was the answer lol XP
finnfinnfriend is online now   Reply With Quote