Betta Fish Forum banner
4M views 13K replies 2K participants last post by  Smaragdina_is_best@12345 
#1 ·
Ok, so I'm sure everyone would love to see the variety of betta tanks/bowls that we have, so post pics of yours here!:-D I have to find my camera, and then I'll get pics of my tanks :)

#8,642 ·
The more you can give him the better but there are some decent kits at pet stores or even walmart that are at least 3gallons. They usually come with under gravel filters, lights and decor. I think I saw a 3g at Walmart lastnight for $30.

The thing with fish is they basically excrete ammonia and in a small tank it can build up fast which can make your fish sick. In a week my 10gallon will have maybe .25 ammonia at the maximum, which is why I change the water, basically. So it's not as much about giving them space to swim (although that is part of it) it's about how many water changes you really have to do. The smaller the tank the more you have to do. The bigger it is the less frequently you have to change it from the ammonia/nitrite buildup.

#8,645 ·
The three gallons I've seen at Walmart are not a good shape since they are tall and skinny with little surface area. They have standard 5 and 10 gallon kits for $30. The 5 gallons have adjustable filters with a nice low flow that causes almost no water movement, but the hoods are cheap and they can't support live plants at all.

#8,648 ·
Yeah, those little 3 gallons have bubblers and tbh I don't think they are good tanks for ANY fish, since they are too small for all fish but bettas and they are too tall and narrow for a Betta. I do like the low flow on walmarts 5 gallon kits' filters, but the filters themselves suck anyways (and the cartridges are a joke. Works best if you just replace them with filter sponge). They wouldn't be all that bad if the hoods weren't cheap plastic with a stupid insert for those tiny LED strips. I had to buy a new hood for my 10 gallon and it costed more than the entire 5 gallon kits do. But walmarts 5.5 and 10 gallons are standard tanks. The kits are cheap, would be okay if you didn't ever plan on having live plants. But Petco/petsmart just have a bigger variety, better heaters/food/everything else, so going to one of them is just killing two birds with one stone. Walmart only sells tetra pellets and preset heaters and they don't have the filter sponge or silk plants... Unfortunately, walmarts all I have in town so I had to order all of my accessories online. I wish there was one place that just had everything... Besides what I've got from Walmart, I've ordered things from 6 different sources online. You don't even want to know how much I spent in total on shipping alone (especially since two orders were live fish with express shipping).

#8,651 ·
My bettas only jump when I hold my finger above the water. I train them to bite me. xD

#8,652 ·
Cool! I've trained mine to flare at my finger when it is on the wall of the tank, and also to follow my finger around the tank! Love my little baby

#8,653 ·
Hey everyone! I love the tanks. I'm currently in the process of redoing my tank for a different look as well as to replace the plants. I had a bit of an algae infestation that's gradually killing my plants. So far I've switched from gravel to sand and replaced some floating anacharis and a couple of amazon swords in the back of the tank and will be replacing the remaining swords. I'm also looking at making it more heavily planted and was wondering if you all had any suggestions on additional plants. This is what it currently looks like. In terms of fish, I have one betta, 4 neon tetras, and 4 panda corries that get along great.

Attachments

#8,655 ·
My pride and joy, my Christmas present! The plants are filling out nicely (well, some of them, some aren't doing much but at least aren't dying)

Aquarium decor Freshwater aquarium Aquarium Aquarium lighting Aquatic plant

#8,666 ·
This tank is really awesome! i have that rusty cube and my betta loves it!

My pride and joy, my Christmas present! The plants are filling out nicely (well, some of them, some aren't doing much but at least aren't dying)

View attachment 79325

#8,658 ·
Hi Daniela. :) Your tank is extremely pretty, but also quite overstocked. I'd suggest adding a second filter or a bunch more plants, and/or doing some extra water changes. Despite the over-stockedness, I'd also add one more tetra and one more cory, or two more tetras, so that they can have a proper school. :)

#8,661 ·
Thank you - it was a design by committee! I had the modern bits....the kids loved the castle and so in it went. No one actually hides in the hidey cichilid stones, but hubby really liked the way they looked, so they stayed too. And I think I have spent more on the plants than on the fish, lol. But most importantly the fish seem to be thriving (I never knew neons and glowlines could get so big!), so it was a good investment!

#8,668 ·
here is an update to Guppy-Rama...

The Murano glass seahorse was his christmas gift. It goes well with the glass sword in the stone. The plants are finally doing well also.

#8,669 ·
Here is Magnus' 5 gallon. I'm on the prowl for a floating plant that a beginner can't screw up, since everything else besides the marimo is silk/smushy plastic, but he seems to like his little jungle all the same.

That mysterious black smudge in the middle is Magnus. I turned the ceiling light off to try to cut down on the glare, so he had to see what was up and check the surface of the water just in case. Little guy, just because you live in the kitchen doesn't mean you get food around the clock...

#8,670 ·
You should try some amazon frogbit. It's great, grows quickly, and beautiful.

#8,673 ·
He's gorgeous Hadoken! :D