Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-28-2013, 11:40 PM   #1 
jadaBlu

How to pick out a betta at the store

My christening into betta-ism was kind of random. I'd been walking past them in pet stores and really feeling bad for them in those little cups. Late one night in box store I walked past some more and decided to save a couple. I've kept fish in the past I enjoyed the fish and did a pretty good job of keeping then alive but I didn't have the luxury of all the advice I have here.

I selected an active blue betta that looked pretty good and he has been doing well except today he has gotten a red stripe on his fin (go to fish emergencies if you know what that is about) The second one I picked I got because it was interactive but as far I was concerned ugly I figure it would just die in the store. I've come to find out it's some sort of dragon scale chocolate color with slightly orange veil finnage but not much in the way of finnage. It had swim bladder disease within a day but that is better and I've learned to space his feedings out. He still has some questionable problem with one fin that is either shredded or something else it looks like a bit of shredded ball toward the tip.

I eventually want to get one more betta after I get the first two going well. I've seen some pretty ones at the store so I am wondering how you pick one out that is healthly. It's really hard to tell in those little cups. Does it matter which store you go to?
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 12:10 AM   #2 
paris38

Most of the bettas in stores aren't very healthy but if you are going there and want a healthy one I would look for this:

1. make sure there aren't any white spots on the fish or any other irregular spots
2.try not to get one with ripped or redend fins
3.make sure the fish isn't laying on its side or can't swim
4.check to see if the fish responds if you put him by another betta or put your finger on the cup

These are just a few common things to look for,other members might have more to add.Hope it helps!
paris38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:54 AM   #3 
waterdog

Definately stay away from any fish that has white spots or 'lumps' on it. Ich is something you don't want to have to deal with right off the bat.
Check the eyes and see if they are clear. Cloudy eyes are the first sign of disease.
Look for badly torn or shredded 'half fins.' Could be a sign of fin rot.
Put him next to another male. Does he respond and flare? This is good.
Check the gills for excessive redness. This is bad.

Nothing is 100%, but just a little common sense can save a lot of frustration and heartache later.
waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 02:12 AM   #4 
Otterfun

This is a great link on how to pick a betta and info on betta:
http://bettysplendens.com/articles/p...articleid=1637
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 02:37 AM   #5 
Kytkattin

If you can, find out what day the store gets their new shipment in and go in either that day or the day after. Not only will you have the best selection of colors, but the fish won't have been sitting in their own filth for goodness knows how long.
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 03:14 AM   #6 
Otterfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kytkattin View Post
If you can, find out what day the store gets their new shipment in and go in either that day or the day after. Not only will you have the best selection of colors, but the fish won't have been sitting in their own filth for goodness knows how long.
+1

but the Petco staff told me that if the fish comes in on Friday, get them on Saturday, so as to allow a day to destress since there might be too much stress to handle in one day : transit, pet store, home
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 03:35 AM   #7 
Tikibirds

Rule numero uno - never listen to petco/petsmart employees. 99% of the time they have no idea what they are talking about

Look for ones that are alert when you pick up their cup, no white dots, fuzzies of any kind, do not have rapid gill movement and their scles are not sticking out like a pine cone.

Ripped/torn tails - most likely caused by fin bitting, fin rot or ammonia which can be easily treated BUT it can also be a symptom of a more serious illness.
Fin rot is easy to cure with clean, warm water and some aquarium salt if you wish.

Although there are sick fish being sold at times, in my experience most of the issues are caused by their cup water having high ammonia levels. When you acclimate the fish for the first time into clean water, do so more slowly then usual - as going from high ammonia to 0 is just as bad as going from a temp of 68 to 80.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 09:57 AM   #8 
jadaBlu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otterfun View Post
This is a great link on how to pick a betta and info on betta:
http://bettysplendens.com/articles/p...articleid=1637
This is a good article it should be a sticky. Thanks!
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:48 PM   #9 
quietlythundering

I saw this beautiful halfmoon in a petsmart that definitely has popeye. I wonder, how can you treat that? I hope that whoever adopted him knows how to. He was seriously gorgeous, and deserves better....
quietlythundering is offline   Reply With Quote