Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-08-2013, 11:44 AM   #31 
Shadyr

2.5 is great for a single male betta IMO. I have two 2.5's and a 3 unfiltered and a split 6 that is filtered. And one big tank. But the smaller ones are a good size for easy care.

On the plants, there are plants that you can tie to stuff or just plunk into gravel and they do fine. You don't *have* to go full NPT to have live plants.

There's a fish peeking out of there somewhere! (This is my 3G)

Name:  chicoryhiding1280.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  73.7 KB
Shadyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 12:39 PM   #32 
Agility4fun

Ooh, that looks nice. What is the planet on the right next to the thermometer?
Agility4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 01:35 PM   #33 
Shadyr

The foreground one is a banana plant, the one more toward the back was labled as a "Temple Plant". Not sure what it really is. I looked up temple plants and they are a kind of Hygrophila, but the pictures don't match, so "Mystery plant" it is.
Shadyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 03:32 PM   #34 
Nowaykittay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadyr View Post
The foreground one is a banana plant, the one more toward the back was labled as a "Temple Plant". Not sure what it really is. I looked up temple plants and they are a kind of Hygrophila, but the pictures don't match, so "Mystery plant" it is.
i wish my local pet stores had better variety the banana plant would look so good in my tank!
Nowaykittay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 05:46 PM   #35 
KnzD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowaykittay View Post
I'm getting extremely frustrated with my 2.5 g tank. Ive gone on other forums when googling betta questions and I've gotten yelled at for having such a small tank I feel awful if its too small but I've also heard its fine for just one betta I'm just not sure. Bubblegum seems happy, he's very active, takes naps on his leaf and heater, he blows huge bubble nests, he's constantly rolling the algae ball around his tank, but I really worry its just not enough space. Ive looked for silk plants but I can't seem to find any that don't have exposed metal so I buy him real plants and I got that stupid red bridge that does nothing but take up precious space. I feel like an awful fish momma and I think I'm in over my head with such a small tank. No matter how many water changes I do the water stays cloudy (hence the marimo ball) and it drives me nuts. If I didn't have mollies and platties in the 20 g I'd move him to that tank I've thought of adding a snail or shrimp to help with the cloudiness but I don't know if that would just take away more of his space. Please help!
From seeing the picture of your tank you seem like a great "fish mama"! As well from your description it seems your fish is healthy and having a jolly good time! I also love your little glass jar with plants; it's very cute and seems cozy!

A 2.5 gallon tank is enough for one Betta fish. My Betta fish is in a 2.5 gallon tank and has been in one for the past 4 months. If you carry out the proper maintenance and care, your fish will live healthy as mine has.

For silk plants without metal parts in them try out the Fluval series called "realistic" or something like that. I have 2 plants by them and they have no metal parts and the silk leaves are gentle on Betta so they do not hurt themselves and they don't tear their fins.
Another approach would be to make your own silk plant decorations. I made a couple of pieces using a fake bouquet bought from a dollar store. I took out the leaves from the plastic covered metal stems and I attached them to pieces of plastic (water safe type) by simply passing them through a small hole I made in the plastic base. I also made my own "leaf hammock". Make sure to test out the leaves in water for a period of a day or two first, to make sure that the colouring from the leaves does not leech into the water. In total I made my plants for the cost of $1.00 CAD; if I bought them they would be around $12.00 CAD. The great thing about making your own is that you can style them the way you want it!

Real plants are definitely the way to go in terms of improving the water quality. Even though 2.5 gallons may seem small I recommend adding a filter. I have a filter running in my tank and along side the regular water changes/substrate vacuuming, the water is crystal clear. There are plenty of small filters out there that will fit and clean a tank of your size. I have the Tetra Whisper 3i filter in my tank and it works and cleans like a charm. Many people say that that specific filter is "garbage" but I have found it on the contrary. It is important to try out things for yourself as not every piece of equipment is the same and no two tanks are the same.

I don't recommend adding any more creatures in your tank as 2.5 gallons is not enough to be able to support healthily your fish and the new creatures.

Here is my tank in comparison. It's a 2.5 gallon as it is the only tank size that will fit in this only "free" space in the house.
*Also don't mind the bubbles; I just did a full cleaning and 100% water change; they usually go away after a day.
Attached Images

KnzD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:37 PM   #36 
Nowaykittay

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnzD View Post
From seeing the picture of your tank you seem like a great "fish mama"! As well from your description it seems your fish is healthy and having a jolly good time! I also love your little glass jar with plants; it's very cute and seems cozy!

A 2.5 gallon tank is enough for one Betta fish. My Betta fish is in a 2.5 gallon tank and has been in one for the past 4 months. If you carry out the proper maintenance and care, your fish will live healthy as mine has.

For silk plants without metal parts in them try out the Fluval series called "realistic" or something like that. I have 2 plants by them and they have no metal parts and the silk leaves are gentle on Betta so they do not hurt themselves and they don't tear their fins.
Another approach would be to make your own silk plant decorations. I made a couple of pieces using a fake bouquet bought from a dollar store. I took out the leaves from the plastic covered metal stems and I attached them to pieces of plastic (water safe type) by simply passing them through a small hole I made in the plastic base. I also made my own "leaf hammock". Make sure to test out the leaves in water for a period of a day or two first, to make sure that the colouring from the leaves does not leech into the water. In total I made my plants for the cost of $1.00 CAD; if I bought them they would be around $12.00 CAD. The great thing about making your own is that you can style them the way you want it!

Real plants are definitely the way to go in terms of improving the water quality. Even though 2.5 gallons may seem small I recommend adding a filter. I have a filter running in my tank and along side the regular water changes/substrate vacuuming, the water is crystal clear. There are plenty of small filters out there that will fit and clean a tank of your size. I have the Tetra Whisper 3i filter in my tank and it works and cleans like a charm. Many people say that that specific filter is "garbage" but I have found it on the contrary. It is important to try out things for yourself as not every piece of equipment is the same and no two tanks are the same.

I don't recommend adding any more creatures in your tank as 2.5 gallons is not enough to be able to support healthily your fish and the new creatures.

Here is my tank in comparison. It's a 2.5 gallon as it is the only tank size that will fit in this only "free" space in the house.
*Also don't mind the bubbles; I just did a full cleaning and 100% water change; they usually go away after a day.
Thank you! everything you said was so helpful especially the filter! its a lot cheaper than i expected! also people said my particular heater is useless but it works even better than the one in my 20 g! im gonna go pick one up sometime this weekend :) also im not sure why i never thought of just making my own plants but im definitely going to also try that this weekend
Nowaykittay is offline   Reply With Quote