Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-08-2013, 09:37 AM   #1 
ByronArn

Water Changing Questions

Hello everyone! This is my first forum post here. I have used advice from this forum many times from other people's discussions, but finally decided to register!

I have a Betta in a gallon tank (I know, I know, he needs at least a 2.5 gallon tank. We are on a tight budget, and got what we could afford from Walmart). I see people suggesting frequent water changes, but see the frequencies vary by person. How often do you recommend water changes for me? There is no filter in the tank, so that will probably factor into your advice. (Would you recommend a filter for a 1 gallon tank, or should I just do more frequent water changes and wait until I get a larger tank to get a filter?)

Also, by water changes I gather we should do 20% water changes. How often, if ever, should full tank water changes be done?

Thanks for all your help! It is much appreciated!
ByronArn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:46 AM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

Welcome. No, I would not add a filter to a 1g tank; small volume of water means more water movement. I do a 100% water change every 2-3 days when I use a 1g.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 12:03 PM   #3 
Freyja
Banned

I do one 50% and one 100% per week, which comes out to a change every 3 days from week to week, and my girl is happy and healthy although she is an ornery fish.
As for a bigger tank, try going to the crafts section at Wal-mart. I saw a bowl there that could hold at least 2 g of water easily. Thrift stores, Goodwill, craigslist are also worth a look.

Last edited by Freyja; 03-08-2013 at 12:05 PM.
Freyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 04:29 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum...

Lots of different ways to keep this species successfully-Its finding what works best for you, your Betta and what you have available.

IMO/E-The 1gal unfiltered is fine to keep a long fin male Betta long term-provided that water quality is maintained. Most water quality issues stem from poor quality food, overfeeding and leaving uneaten food in the tank long term-than byproducts produced by the Betta itself.
IMO/E-filters are optional for this species-especially in smaller tanks with the Long fin males-since the water movement can sometimes be the cause of tattered fins and stress. Not all long fin males have this problem-a lot is based on genetic, age, overall health and nutrition.

Water changes I recommend with 1gal unfiltered-without live plants-is twice weekly....1-50% water only and 1-90-100% with substrate cleaning by vacuum or stir and dip method-Leaving the Betta in the tank for water changes.

You can safely heat a 1gal and you may or may not need a heater, however, its a good idea to have one. Your goal is to maintain a somewhat stable temp in the 76-80F range. A healthy Betta generally tolerates the normal-yet gradual temp changes that can occur at different levels within the tank, lights on/off and day/night. Its those sudden extreme temp swing that can be stressful even for a healthy Betta.

You do need a thermometer to monitor both the tank temp and temp of the replacement water used for water changes-You want to try and keep the replacement water within 10 degree of the tank water with partial water changes.

Nutrition-good quality varied diet fed in small frequent meals is best. The more varied the better-what one food is missing-hopefully the other will have. You want the processed food first ingredient to be whole fish/seafood for the main staple. IMO/E-the food doesn't have to be Betta specific. A good quality pellet, flakes, freeze dried, frozen and live are all good to offer for one meal a day at different times of the day.

Most important...Have fun and enjoy this awesome hobby of fish keeping.

Look forward to seeing pics and hearing about your Betta adventures...
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 09:06 AM   #5 
ByronArn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
Welcome to the forum...

Lots of different ways to keep this species successfully-Its finding what works best for you, your Betta and what you have available.

IMO/E-The 1gal unfiltered is fine to keep a long fin male Betta long term-provided that water quality is maintained. Most water quality issues stem from poor quality food, overfeeding and leaving uneaten food in the tank long term-than byproducts produced by the Betta itself.
IMO/E-filters are optional for this species-especially in smaller tanks with the Long fin males-since the water movement can sometimes be the cause of tattered fins and stress. Not all long fin males have this problem-a lot is based on genetic, age, overall health and nutrition.

Water changes I recommend with 1gal unfiltered-without live plants-is twice weekly....1-50% water only and 1-90-100% with substrate cleaning by vacuum or stir and dip method-Leaving the Betta in the tank for water changes.

You can safely heat a 1gal and you may or may not need a heater, however, its a good idea to have one. Your goal is to maintain a somewhat stable temp in the 76-80F range. A healthy Betta generally tolerates the normal-yet gradual temp changes that can occur at different levels within the tank, lights on/off and day/night. Its those sudden extreme temp swing that can be stressful even for a healthy Betta.

You do need a thermometer to monitor both the tank temp and temp of the replacement water used for water changes-You want to try and keep the replacement water within 10 degree of the tank water with partial water changes.

Nutrition-good quality varied diet fed in small frequent meals is best. The more varied the better-what one food is missing-hopefully the other will have. You want the processed food first ingredient to be whole fish/seafood for the main staple. IMO/E-the food doesn't have to be Betta specific. A good quality pellet, flakes, freeze dried, frozen and live are all good to offer for one meal a day at different times of the day.

Most important...Have fun and enjoy this awesome hobby of fish keeping.

Look forward to seeing pics and hearing about your Betta adventures...
I have a gravel vacuum that works by siphoning. However it requires a lot of up and down motion to get it started, and I'd be afraid of hitting Andy (my betta) in such a small tank. Whats the stir and dip method? And which would you recommend.
ByronArn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 11:14 AM   #6 
Oldfishlady

In a 1gal tank-the stir and dip might be easier.

The way I do it...
First-wash hands and unplug the heater and filter if you are using one.

I give the substrate a slight stir with a chopstick-but anything will work for that. You want to get the mulm/debris up into the water column.
Then-using a small plastic cup-dip half the water out

You won't get all the mulm/debris and this is okay-you don't need or want to.

Refill with like temp dechlorinated water carefully.

Once full-plug the heater back in. The water should clear within the hour-If not, you either missed a water change, overstocked, overfeeding or leaving too much uneaten food in the tank.

If you have a filter-prime and turn the filter back on-Remember to give the filter media a swish/rinse in the bucket of old tank water or dechlorinated water a couple of times a month to maintain good water flow.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 11:25 AM   #7 
GoodMorning

for a 1 gallon tank, if u are lazy you might be able to get away with changing 100% water once a week, but i don't recommend this. If you do go this route, get some live plants to help with ammonia. The better option would be changing the water at least twice a week, i would do two 100% with a couple days in between. The best option in my opinion would be getting a good filter in a bigger tank.
GoodMorning is offline   Reply With Quote